PDA

View Full Version : Selection Order Bug?

xchrisx
03-27-2012, 09:21 AM
Has anyone experienced this bug in LW 10+ that regardless of the order that you select items, it will keep it in the same order in the array.

Example:
Select Null (1) then ctrl click on Null (2)
The selection array will display Null (2) as the first item in the selection and Null (1) as the second.

Now if you reverse the selection order by selecting Null (2) then ctrl click on Null (1) the selection array will give you the same thing. Null (2) is first and Null (1) is second.

Many of my scripts that relied on selection order no longer work and I just wanted to make sure someone can confirm this bug before I report it.

Attached is an example script and a test scene. Select the nulls in either order and it will give you the read out in the status bar.

Thanks
Chris

evenflcw
03-27-2012, 11:37 AM
I suspect you are selecting in the New Scene Editor (NSE)!? NSE is not Lightwave, it is an plugin like most everything else, and NT has not done a proper job concerning selection in it. Perhaps because the tree/listbox callback was not designed properly either (imho), and one has to code around that implementation to fix anything that relies on it. So the selection order bug is not in LW, but in NSE or possibly the SDK.

I've bugreported this myself, but I suspect they will never fix it because the underlying problem is in the design of the callback function for the tree/listbox. And likely, from NTs POV that is a design choice, not a bug.

But report it. The more, the greater the possibility. I would love them to fix both NSE selection and the listbox selection callback.

xchrisx
03-27-2012, 11:45 AM
You are correct Dan. I was using the new scene editor because it is far more flexible than the classic scene editor. I was unaware anything had broken in the new scene editor which is really unfortunate because other than a few old schoolers I dont know anyone who still uses the old scene editor. Thanks again for the insight Dan.

evenflcw
03-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Hmm... Interesting that it seems to work right in LW96. I was not aware of this.

They did make a fix for the listboxes (perhaps concerns trees aswell) in 2011. That concerned a missmatch between the listboxes internal state and what they showed on the screen aswell as the callback not being issued when the listbox was cleared. That might have been an lscript issue only though, I'm not sure. But perhaps that fix messed up the NSE code.

I guess then bugreport the issue your having with NSE. It IS NTs job to figure out the root cause... although I can rarely stop myself from speculating. I'll bump my own report by pointing at this thread.

xchrisx
03-27-2012, 12:29 PM
I just reported it as well.