PDA

View Full Version : Transfer of video to DATA/DVD solutions?

prometheus
03-27-2012, 06:07 AM
Hi there!

Anybody care to share some good solutions or dvd record/players for transfering videotapes to DVD or grabbing it from the computer.

And what would give best quality and less hazzle, using the computer or
buying a dvd recorder that can handle the signals?

My system specs is under my signature, Im thinking of buying some type of dvd and also a blueray, and if there´s some good machine out there that can record video signals without dropping to much of frame quality I would like to hear about it.

Sending it to some service doing it for you is not an option.

Thanks!

BigHache
03-27-2012, 08:26 AM
You could run video in straight to a DVD recorder, that will work. Of course you'll have to convert the mpeg-2 DVD video afterwards to do anything with it.

Another option would be to get something like a Canopus box and run the video through FireWire/1934 and record it that way.

I personally don't like the DVD option as it compresses the video. Just depends on your needs.

3DGFXStudios
03-27-2012, 09:14 AM
I got something a like this http://www.grassvalley.com/assets/media/2689/20091222_ADVC110_FRONT_small.1920x1080.VidRes.png

Its a device that convert pal or ntsc to firewire. you can buy them at any computer shop.

sandman300
03-27-2012, 11:23 AM
If your looking for quick and easy, a standalone DVD recorder like the Sony VRD-MC10 (http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=VRDMC10) is a good choice. As a bonus it has a built in monitor. You can get decent results but you are limited to what it will allow you to do. I have one that I rent but I never use it for my regular customer work.

Where I work we used to (up to about 2005) use set top DVD recorders to transfer analogue video to digital. We had several different brands because there were frequent issues with compatibility between brands. Also, although the recorders offer the ability to record at a high capacity (like 6 hours) I recommend not using anything more than 2 hours. This keeps the quality as high as possible while also reducing the possibility of compatibility issues.

Now ,what I do today is all based on computers. The method I use depends on what I'm going to do with the video (edit, youtube, save as file, or direct to DVD). What ever the case you'll need a digital analogue converter. Like the one 3DGFXStudios has (I use the ADVC-300 which they don't sell anymore). Be warned, there are some inexpensive ones out there and from what I've seen the don't perform anywhere close to the more expensive ones. From what I've heard the ADVC family is Mac compatible.

Another important piece of equipment to have is a Time Base Corrector or TBC. Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_base_correction) This was one of the nice things about the ADVC-300 since it has a TBC in it. But you can get them separately. It is amazing the difference between having a TBC and not.

When editing is not needed, I use a piece of software called DVD Rocket. which automates the process and created an image file that I archive for my customers. It is a very cool piece of software although the documentation and the website has not been updated in a long time. I'm usually able to get tech support directly from the developer.

When editing in any way it is usually best to capture the video using the NLE (Non-Linear Editor) your going to edit with. The NLE software I use has DVD authoring software integrated into the NLE which makes things much quicker than moving from one app to another.

I find that it is very hand to keep the video on a hard drive, if there is even the remotest possibility that I might need it again.

prometheus
03-27-2012, 01:09 PM
Thanks guys, I will take a look at all mentioned options, but I can´t afford any extreme pro solutions, this is mostly for transfering old stuff for personal archives

I guess I do not need any editing features, as long as I can edit the transfered files in Adobe premiere or After effects.

I wonder if it would be possible to find a DVD recorder in a decent price range that can record full lenght of 180 minutes, and how much compression quality loss would occour from such task?

More DVD recorder Brands and tips are welcome

Cheers!

Michael

BigHache
03-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Just as a note, the high capacity recording that sandman mentioned, what those recorders are actually doing is cutting the horizontal res in half, so they record 320x480. Half the amount of data gives you twice the recording time. DVD players then display the video at 720x480 during playback. As mentioned, yeah highly not recommended.

Without cutting the res like this, you can fit 2.5 hours on a single density DVD-R, but I think 3 hours may be pushing it.

sandman300
03-27-2012, 03:34 PM
this is mostly for transfering old stuff for personal archives
I have seen lots of home movies over the years (hundreds of hours worth), lots of people used the EP mode not knowing what it really meant. Very rarely do I see someone who doesn't regret being skimpy on their memories. I'm not saying you need the pro equipment but look around and you'll be able to find this stuff on ebay and other used equip. dealers. At a minimum its worth the look.

As far as brands of DVD burners, I like the Sony that I mentioned above, because: its is so small, built in monitor, one touch recording. Canon makes one similar but theirs doesn't have the monitor. Outside of that there is really no big difference (as far as I'm concerned) in performance between brands. Considering their working with a standard format. I would look more for warranty, and local service center.