PDA

View Full Version : Energy conserving UI link idea

djwaterman
03-27-2012, 05:09 AM
I just watched a free Dave School surfacing video that was posted over at Spinquads and it made me think of a UI idea for Lightwaves surface panel.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc401/djwaterman/SurfaceconserveenergyUI.jpg

The idea is that when you click on the 'C' the link becomes active and the two values (Diffuse and Reflection) become inversely linked, drag one value down and the other goes up so that you get energy conserving without any head work. I'm just putting it out there so that it might get implemented in a future version.
Perhaps it should say 'E.C.' rather than 'C'.

biliousfrog
03-27-2012, 06:12 AM
It would have made a lot of sense several years ago but, with the nodal materials, a lot of that is already taken care of. I hardly use the layers now, I just add a delta node if I want a basic, energy conserving material.

djwaterman
03-27-2012, 06:49 AM
And maybe it would just confuse people new to LW.

biliousfrog
03-27-2012, 06:58 AM
It's a pretty good idea though :)

The confusing bit would be when you want transparency too...and specularity...and incidence gradients or textures.

Andy Meyer
03-27-2012, 10:26 AM
it's a good idea.
dont forget it must include Luminosity, Specularity too... and all the E's and T's changing over time... so it's not that easy.

Hieron
03-29-2012, 04:22 PM
it's a good idea.
dont forget it must include Luminosity, Specularity too... and all the E's and T's changing over time... so it's not that easy.

I agree it would not be easy, but how would luminosity make sense in an energy conserving sense, include input heating power?
Specularity is just fake and completely non physical reflection, it seems odd to try and squeeze that into energy conserving either...

Dexter2999
03-29-2012, 05:52 PM
My energy saving idea would be to put a link directly on the properties panel when I select "Emitter". There should be a button added right then that takes you to the Hypervoxels panel to activate it.

Or just put a shortcut "Activate" checkbox that is linked to the Hypervoxel master control.

The separate camera resolutions and render resolutions are not bothering me anymore. (They did when they were completely different panels.) But this separation of the Hypervoxel panel being separated from the panels in the Properties panel is still rubbing me the wrong way.

The Hypervoxel panel IMO should be a master panel for all the HV effects. But individual control should be available in the properties panel.

Riff_Masteroff
03-30-2012, 11:54 AM
Lightwolf's Schlick's Approximation Node, available for free as part of DB-W Tools Version 1.9 does that better but nodal. That is: material energy conservation. It is available, once again, for free at http://www.db-w.com/

Also you can find an entry for the math on wikipedia

Riff_Masteroff
03-30-2012, 12:13 PM
It does 'offer' more options; and, therefore, may be out of the 'no brainer' category. But, importantly and as is, the inverse connection to diffuse maintains energy conservation.

Tobian, has said (Pluto Station renderings) that the no preprocess check box is quite useful in interpolated GI.