PDA

View Full Version : RE: DAN ABLAN LW11 Training Course

simonlion
03-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Hello Everyone.

I been watching Dan Ablan's LW11 Training course, and it is fantastic.
The price is very low, and you learn so much from His Training Course
Simon.

erikals
03-26-2012, 03:30 AM
 
always post a link :]

Dan Alban - Signature Courseware LW11
http://www.sharbor.com/products/AGAN3010021.html
http://www.3dgarage.com/collections/frontpage/products/lightwave-3d-v11-signature-courseware

 

adrian
03-26-2012, 10:58 AM
Totally agree - I've just started going through it myself, I always enjoy his stuff.

Top notch customer service too. I had some issues downloading at the weekend and he was on it straight away.

3D garage stuff - unreservedly recommended, and his LW11 course is not just for beginners either.

Burchigb
03-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Downloading now

Paul_Boland
03-26-2012, 05:14 PM
The price is very low...

NO OFFENSE to Dan in the slightest, but Simon, your definition of "very low" greatly differs to mine. Just checked Amazon.com and sadly there doesn't seem to be an Inside Lightwave 11 by Dan :(. The books are fantastic... ...and more affordable.

aa1037
03-26-2012, 05:37 PM
I believe there was a pre release special around 50 percent off today's price for quite a while (since Dec) - maybe that's what Simon was referring to as low price?

adrian
03-27-2012, 04:43 AM
Indeed there was - I bought the LW11 sig course for $69 a few weeks back from Safe Harbor but I would still happily have paid the $149 full price because his stuff is that good.

Depends how best you learn I suppose - for me videos are the way to go even though his Inside LW books were great as well.

BigHache
03-27-2012, 08:29 AM
Just checked Amazon.com and sadly there doesn't seem to be an Inside Lightwave 11 by Dan :(. The books are fantastic... ...and more affordable.

Someone can correct if I'm wrong, but I *believe* I read Dan say he wasn't planning on doing another Inside Lightwave book.

Paul_Boland
03-27-2012, 05:07 PM
Someone can correct if I'm wrong, but I *believe* I read Dan say he wasn't planning on doing another Inside Lightwave book.

That's sad to hear. His books are fantastic!!

evenflcw
03-27-2012, 06:46 PM
I would venture a guess that making videos is much quicker, easier and cheaper to produce and apparently can fetch a much higher price! Personally I found neither past books nor videos "fantastic" - they were or seemed decent! But there is not much option for those who need it, and I'm not really part of the main market anymore (imho).

dwburman
03-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Also, he's now selling directly, whereas with a book, the publisher and other middlemen have to take their cut of the sales.

simonlion
03-27-2012, 09:32 PM
NO OFFENSE to Dan in the slightest, but Simon, your definition of "very low" greatly differs to mine. Just checked Amazon.com and sadly there doesn't seem to be an Inside Lightwave 11 by Dan :(. The books are fantastic... ...and more affordable.

I Prefer Video Training rather than reading Books
Simon..

BigHache
03-27-2012, 11:08 PM
That's sad to hear. His books are fantastic!!

Also, he's now selling directly, whereas with a book, the publisher and other middlemen have to take their cut of the sales.

What I remember reading was it took a long time to produce. I would also imagine that yeah, for all the work involved the publisher probably got a bigger portion of sales than he did. So cool to do a couple of times but in the long run not worth the effort.

Hieron
06-17-2012, 10:15 AM
No clue, but the lack of a good set of training materials is not quite helping LW.
And if there is, it should be communicated/presenter better.

Like say lux does it:
http://www.luxology.com/store/training_videos/index.aspx
(do note the nice presentation, preview videos of the course etc)

or 3rd party of theirs
http://www.luxology.com/learning_resources/

I was looking for some quality materials to recommend to students with an interest in animation, who may or may not end up being interns/animators at our studio. Perhaps I did overlook some things, but atm I'm quite appalled. We ended up pointing them to Modo and the courseware available for it. It is better cut up into topics, all of which seem of good quality.

cresshead
06-17-2012, 11:38 AM

if he does another "book" he'd best off with a kindle or ibook not a paper based effort...he can be in full control of it and take 70% per sale.

ShadowMystic
06-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Essentials Lightwave v9 was/is my Lightwave bible. No offense to Dan but Essentials included video training and book for $40. I wish I could find a book as well written as Essentials for 3DS Max, ZBrush, and every other program we artists must learn.

ianay
06-19-2012, 05:08 AM
I agree that Essential Lightwave v9 was by far the best lightwave book so far..
The 'inside' books started to go downhill at inside lw8..
Have you noticed the 'inside' books got thinner and thinner at each LW release also?

SBowie
06-19-2012, 06:43 AM
Here's one repository, for those who may have missed it: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL29F0A1FFB14F5310&feature=plcp

Bill Carey
06-19-2012, 12:51 PM
I agree that Essential Lightwave v9 was by far the best lightwave book so far..
The 'inside' books started to go downhill at inside lw8..
Have you noticed the 'inside' books got thinner and thinner at each LW release also?

They did get thinner, but there was more video included and video on his web-site. (No idea if they are still available there) He made the move to video only gradually.

Hieron
06-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Here's one repository, for those who may have missed it: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL29F0A1FFB14F5310&feature=plcp

hmmm.. doesn't compare very favorably to the aforementioned webpage, but yes those have been very usefull little tips. But not ideal to pass on to prospective users.
NT can do as they want and I won't be telling dark omens though..

Just sayin', just sayin'.

OnlineRender
06-19-2012, 03:19 PM
http://lightwiki.net/hub/tutorials some nice stuff from SplineGod on here

SBowie
06-19-2012, 03:23 PM
hmmm.. doesn't compare very favorably to the aforementioned webpage.I don't think I implied it was the Mother Of All Channels, but it's a useful collection and I've seen others comment favorably ... that is all.

Hieron
06-19-2012, 03:30 PM
kk, I guess I have just been a bit startled to find a bit of a lack of materials, to point people interested to start with to.. And it may impact our direction since hardly anyone knows LW here at young age, and it makes it trickier to get them to learn. Cost is not even that big of an issue, time is... So, there, I've voiced it. Continuing on...

edit: the small snippets are great, but what I used to like from the old books is that it takes you days/weeks to complete but takes you nicely through the entire (ok, sort of) process while working on some relatively clear goals. The current offerings seem, not quite up to standard.. just imho ofc.