PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Generalists?

DigitalSorcery8
03-25-2012, 04:50 PM
I'm just trying to gauge the availability (and interest) of LW generalists in the US. We have not yet decided if we will be using SI or LW for our pipeline, but the original pilot was created using LW and MotionBuilder. Despite some negativity on the SI forums, overall direct response has been positive. What will decrease the number of potentials will be the fact that relocation will most likely be required to Virginia. We won't know for sure until we have our budget - we should know more within the next 30 to 60 days.

This thread is just to judge how many LW generalists may be interested in working on a CG kids show - barebones budget - with a style similar to Monster House. We are also not looking for seasoned professionals. Several on the SI forums had stated that that meant we were looking for cheap or free talent - not quite true. We're not going to be paying Hollywood wages, but we will be paying a decent salary. The type of people were looking for are those who may be serious hobbyists who do some great work but don't have enough "good stuff" to get into any established studio. We've seen a large number of people on this forum over the years that have shown incredible talent. Maybe you never thought you might be able to work in a studio? Maybe you've thought that you just weren't good enough? Maybe it's always been just a hobby and you never even thought about it? Of course if you've already got a great job, I doubt you would be interested.

We'll essentially be starting the studio from scratch - and of course, low budget. :) Motion capture (with MotionBuilder) will be used extensively to reduce production time - it was used on the pilot episode and worked exceptionally well. Nothing currently is set in stone, and all software that will be used is still up in the air. So if you use Modo to model and LW to render - or vice versa - or ZBrush/Mudbox/3D Coat... as long as it will fit into the pipeline (and not cost an arm and two legs) we'll seriously consider it.

And again, I need to reiterate that we will not be looking for (super low-paid) $25k/year artists - even though we're not seeking seasoned veterans. My MAIN reason for looking for "less qualified" artists is because of my own history. I became the 2nd employee at a small CG firm after teaching myself trueSpace1 for many months. I was working in Retail making only $25k/year. My new job started at $24k/year. It was worth the slight pay reduction to work at something that I'd always wanted to. I excelled at the job and ended up essentially running the office handling customers, modeling/rendering, dispensing projects and invoicing. When I was hired I was a newbie - I would like to give others in a similar situation a similar opportunity.

If & when we choose to go the LW route, we'll officially post in the jobs section below. But... I thought I'd gauge interest here first. :)

Thanks!

jasonwestmas
03-25-2012, 05:55 PM
Seasoned pro is a subjective term but I'd be interested if the pay is "decent". =)

I tire of the sub-contractor role.

DigitalSorcery8
03-25-2012, 06:10 PM
Seasoned pro is a subjective term but I'd be interested if the pay is "decent". =)
Pay of course will be negotiable. We're not looking to pay "poverty wages," and hope to be very competitive. Of course if you're too seasoned... :D

I tire of the sub-contractor role.
I understand the feeling.

Though while I like the regular job with paycheck, I prefer something much more creative and fun. I want this job to end of being lots of fun - with the bonus being it comes with a paycheck.

jasonwestmas
03-25-2012, 06:36 PM
Yes, I do like the idea of the job being a social and creative endeavor. It's the lyfe style I chose a while back.

Ryan Roye
03-25-2012, 07:17 PM
I'm pessimistic concerning any careers in 3d, partially due to my lack of experience combined with my negative past digital media jobs and demographic location. I'd certainly be interested... most digital media work i've ever done has been strictly hobby-based.

This is just me, but my personal interest would be based on three points:

Honesty.

Are the concepts and ideas solid and well-developed in production, viability, marketing, design, target audience (boys, girls, both? educational or non?)? Every single one of these are extremely important. Obviously, most hobbyists don't have to worry about this nearly as much. Any gray areas in the answer to this question would concern me... as a gig that requires return on investment needs a solid foundation.

Though it looks like you are looking for artists between the lines of "extreme veteran" and "beginner", do you have a developed and production-proven pipeline that you'll be able to use to help guide those you will be working with?

I have my own animated series (in the process of a complete redesign) and know the extreme magnitude of work that's involved even for something that's considered "very low detail" . That said, I wish you luck and even if you don't go with Lightwave I'd be interested to see what you're up to. I'm a big fan of your videos and many of them have helped me tremendously :)

shrox
03-25-2012, 07:28 PM
Sounds interesting.

www.shrox.com is my website with showreels.

nickdigital
03-25-2012, 07:40 PM
The DAVE school would be a potential resource for you. I'm sure there are recent and soon-to-be graduates who need a job.

DigitalSorcery8
03-25-2012, 07:47 PM
I'm pessimistic concerning any careers in 3d, partially due to my lack of experience combined with my negative past digital media jobs and demographic location. I'd certainly be interested... most digital media work i've ever done has been strictly hobby-based.

This is just me, but my personal interest would be based on three points:

Honesty.

Are the concepts and ideas solid and well-developed in production, viability, marketing, design, target audience (boys, girls, both? educational or non?)? Every single one of these are extremely important. Obviously, most hobbyists don't have to worry about this nearly as much. Any gray areas in the answer to this question would concern me... as a gig that requires return on investment needs a solid foundation.

Though it looks like you are looking for artists between the lines of "extreme veteran" and "beginner", do you have a developed and production-proven pipeline that you'll be able to use to help guide those you will be working with?

I have my own animated series (in the process of a complete redesign) and know the extreme magnitude of work that's involved even for something that's considered "very low detail" . That said, I wish you luck and even if you don't go with Lightwave I'd be interested to see what you're up to. I'm a big fan of your videos and many of them have helped me tremendously :)
Well though-out points. :thumbsup:

Honesty... you'll get that in spades from me. When we get to the point of actually being able to hire, you can ask me anything and I'll tell you. The one thing I pride myself - regarding business - is "doing unto others as I would have them do unto me." I'm not religious, but I do take that concept to heart!

I can tell you I worked on the pilot for about 2.5 years - during that time I went through a great deal of trial and error. Right now I could remake the pilot (which was about 35 minutes of animation) by myself using my existing pipeline in probably less than six months - and it would be better! I learned ALLOT during that time.

Now having said all of that... this pipeline is going to change. I plan on capturing three mocap actors at once (using a different mocap system than I originally used) and have the scenes set up far more quickly. I didn't use the RHiggit plugin (since it wasn't available when I created the rigs) and that will be another change.

All of my voice actors are professionals - in fact the main character's voice is created by the same guy who does the CarFox in the CarFax commercials - if you're familiar with them at all. As soon as I discover what my budget will be, I'll have a much better idea as to the direction I can move in. At that time I'll provide links to my pilot and additional information that would help potential "collaborators/employees" make up their minds as to whether or not to take the job. Hopefully I'll know more within 30 to 60 days.

Sounds interesting.

www.shrox.com is my website with showreels.
Yeah Shrox, I'm familiar with your work. :)

If you're interested when I finally acquire my budget, I'll let you know and provide (hopefully) enough information to allow you (and everyone else) to make an informed decision.

As I've said to others, I want this to be a fun job with lots of creativity flowing and a place where people WANT to come to work. My fingers are crossed that my budget will be high enough to allow for what we need to do! :dance:

DigitalSorcery8
03-25-2012, 09:16 PM
The DAVE school would be a potential resource for you. I'm sure there are recent and soon-to-be graduates who need a job.

Yes, if we don't find enough capable applicants directly on the forum the DAVE school would be another great place.

Though I think that there are quite a number of excellent potentials right here. :)

Thanks!

dblincoe
03-25-2012, 09:38 PM
I'd be interested in helping in any capacity I can. More info when you can!!!www.MotionNotion3D.com
I'm gearing up to start my own series soon.

dwburman
03-25-2012, 09:53 PM
It doesn't really matter since I can't relocate now but what part of Virginia will you be located in? I used to live in Central Virginia and a paycheck can go a lot further there than in Northern Virginia or Virginia Beach.

DigitalSorcery8
03-25-2012, 10:16 PM
I'd be interested in helping in any capacity I can. More info when you can!!!www.MotionNotion3D.com
I'm gearing up to start my own series soon.
Most likely we're looking at relocated workers.

As soon as we have our budget info we'll be deciding our next course of action.

It doesn't really matter since I can't relocate now but what part of Virginia will you be located in? I used to live in Central Virginia and a paycheck can go a lot further there than in Northern Virginia or Virginia Beach.

Near central Virginia - just outside of Richmond.

I'm a "yankee (from NJ) in the confederacy." Then again, hardly anyone "down here" has a southern accent. ;)

gravin
03-25-2012, 10:24 PM
I'd be interested, my skill set isn't really lightwave centric though. I actually learned CG using Maya and Max while I was in school but I'm I've been learning lightwave and Messiah over the last year or so. Just can't justify the cost of a package like Maya for generalist work. I'd be willing to move down to Virginia just to be a part of something cool. I would need to be able to pay loan debt and have enough money left over to buy beans an rice though :D

DigitalSorcery8
03-25-2012, 10:36 PM
I'd be interested, my skill set isn't really lightwave centric though. I actually learned CG using Maya and Max while I was in school but I'm I've been learning lightwave and Messiah over the last year or so. Just can't justify the cost of a package like Maya for generalist work. I'd be willing to move down to Virginia just to be a part of something cool. I would need to be able to pay loan debt and have enough money left over to buy beans an rice though :D

Have you seen the cost of rice? :)

When we get our budget set, I'll post again in this thread and (budget-willing) be posting in the Jobs section here.

shrox
03-25-2012, 11:35 PM
...I'm a "yankee (from NJ) in the confederacy." Then again, hardly anyone "down here" has a southern accent. ;)

I was raised in Arizona, made me far tougher than any yankee or rebel...

HenrikSkoglund
03-26-2012, 06:12 AM
Very interesting... Live in Sweden though... It's just across the whole freakin' galaxy :(

RebelHill
03-26-2012, 06:29 AM
yup sounds interesting. relocations sadly a no player too.

btw... be nice to see this pilot, is it somewhere?

lardbros
03-26-2012, 07:01 AM
I'd be interested, but do have a full-time job. I will never be able to use any work from my current role in my portfolio, and have been here 6 years, so would be awesome to lend a hand on a real production, and have something for a much more recent showreel than my current website of 6 or 7 years old! :)

DigitalSorcery8
03-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Very interesting... Live in Sweden though... It's just across the whole freakin' galaxy :(
Well... Richmond is about as far away from Hollywood as Sweden is from Richmond, so it's not THAT far. :)

yup sounds interesting. relocations sadly a no player too.

btw... be nice to see this pilot, is it somewhere?
There will be. Once I have a budget and know what our resources will be I'll be providing all interested parties with a link to the pilot. As far as I'm concerned, it's not as good as it should be but then again it was a proof of concept project - it just got a little out-of-hand in the running time department. :) But I managed to get a new, up-and-coming channel interested and they want to broadcast it. We'll be getting a percantage of the advertising revenue - hence the low budget part - but I am hoping that it will be enough to staff a small studio and create many more episodes. I've been lead to believe that this is what will happen - so I'm trusting my contact. I'd like to give people who aren't IN the industry a shot at working on a cool CG series.

I'd be interested, but do have a full-time job. I will never be able to use any work from my current role in my portfolio, and have been here 6 years, so would be awesome to lend a hand on a real production, and have something for a much more recent showreel than my current website of 6 or 7 years old! :)
I can understand the difficulty if you've already got a fulltime job to switch jobs on a speculative project. Job security today is something that we strive for - not to mention something that we enjoy doing. Depending upon our budget, we may still use remote workers. And with some luck it WILL be an ongoing series.

karla521
03-26-2012, 12:33 PM
I am definitely interested. I am a compositor and a Lightwave user. Please put me on the contact list.:thumbsup:

DigitalSorcery8
03-26-2012, 01:08 PM
I am definitely interested. I am a compositor and a Lightwave user. Please put me on the contact list.:thumbsup:

Chances are we will be looking for a compositor/editor who also knows LW.

Of course the compositor doesn't have to be the editor; another LW artist can who can also edit is a plus. :dance:

Having a dedicated compositor only or dedicated editor only is something that will most likely NOT be in the budget. It'll be double-duty - though not double the work. :)

JMCarrigan
03-26-2012, 01:28 PM
...but is relocation a must? I'm an artist who just so happens to be retired and working. I have my own little studio and I play at all sorts of stuff....

www dot slimdangdoo dot com

DigitalSorcery8
03-26-2012, 02:13 PM
...but is relocation a must? I'm an artist who just so happens to be retired and working. I have my own little studio and I play at all sorts of stuff....

www dot slimdangdoo dot com

I'll know more when the budget is known. Unless the budget is SUPER low (which is always possible) I'll need artists on location simply for the mocap work - since 99% of all human/humanoid work will be mocapped and hopefully I can purchase three suits for faster capture and reduced production time. Still, there is always a possibility of hiring remote workers. Though I'm not sure if I said it here - or to someone directly - IMO creativity is contagious in a studio environment where we have direct interaction. Not to mention immediate feedback on a shot. I haven't been in that kind of environment for more than ten years - I miss it! :)

geo_n
03-26-2012, 10:25 PM
For qualified artist, sponsor visa permit? :D I love travelling.

DigitalSorcery8
03-26-2012, 10:35 PM
For qualified artist, sponsor visa permit? :D I love travelling.

:) Well I'm not familiar with how it works, but... lots of paperwork? :eek:

Though I think that you may be slightly overqualified? :bowdown:

And you've already got a job in a studio, right? - one that (I would say) that you seem to like quite a bit. :)

I'd like to give artists a leg-up into the industry so we can create a cool show. And something tells me that with the artists we have here... this show will go up quite a bit in quality and spectacle. :thumbsup:

JMCarrigan
03-27-2012, 09:26 AM
I'll know more when the budget is known. .... there is always a possibility of hiring remote workers. Though I'm not sure if I said it here - or to someone directly - IMO creativity is contagious in a studio environment....! :)

Thanks. You're right of course. I was just wondering about 3d sets and props.

DigitalSorcery8
03-27-2012, 01:10 PM
Thanks. You're right of course. I was just wondering about 3d sets and props.

That of course IS a possibility.

Most of our sets and props were purchased assets and altered/refurbished. That saved a great deal of time and money as opposed to recreating something completely new. Of course commissioning models may save time, it would also end up being more expensive than purchasing "off-the-shelf" models since the artist would be making the model only for us. Still... depending upon the number of sets/props required for any specific episode, that method may be useful. :thumbsup:

zapper1998
03-27-2012, 03:05 PM
Sounds Interesting, yes

lardbros
03-28-2012, 06:57 AM
Well... Richmond is about as far away from Hollywood as Sweden is from Richmond, so it's not THAT far. :)

There will be. Once I have a budget and know what our resources will be I'll be providing all interested parties with a link to the pilot. As far as I'm concerned, it's not as good as it should be but then again it was a proof of concept project - it just got a little out-of-hand in the running time department. :) But I managed to get a new, up-and-coming channel interested and they want to broadcast it. We'll be getting a percantage of the advertising revenue - hence the low budget part - but I am hoping that it will be enough to staff a small studio and create many more episodes. I've been lead to believe that this is what will happen - so I'm trusting my contact. I'd like to give people who aren't IN the industry a shot at working on a cool CG series.

I can understand the difficulty if you've already got a fulltime job to switch jobs on a speculative project. Job security today is something that we strive for - not to mention something that we enjoy doing. Depending upon our budget, we may still use remote workers. And with some luck it WILL be an ongoing series.

Well... if you ever need an extra hand for some remote work... please give me a shout, check out my work if you fancy, and just note that it's all 6 or more years old... and my work is better these days :)

alesxander
03-28-2012, 07:44 AM
... the original pilot was created using LW and MotionBuilder...

could we see a part of it?

good luck

geo_n
03-28-2012, 10:31 AM
:) Well I'm not familiar with how it works, but... lots of paperwork? :eek:

Though I think that you may be slightly overqualified? :bowdown:

And you've already got a job in a studio, right? - one that (I would say) that you seem to like quite a bit. :)

I'd like to give artists a leg-up into the industry so we can create a cool show. And something tells me that with the artists we have here... this show will go up quite a bit in quality and spectacle. :thumbsup:

With studios here if you leave, they don't close the doors and you're welcome to come back anytime. My colleague went there last year for a job and to practice his english skills. He'll be back next year when his contract expires :D
I only have around 4-5 years experience with lw while some have over a decade. Lots of stuff to learn, the american lifestyle :thumbsup:.

DigitalSorcery8
03-28-2012, 11:45 AM
Well... if you ever need an extra hand for some remote work... please give me a shout, check out my work if you fancy, and just note that it's all 6 or more years old... and my work is better these days :)
Absolutely! When I post in this thread and the job sections, you'll know what we'll be asking for - especially if our budget is too low that we can ONLY hire remote workers so a physical studio is out of the question. Not that remote workers earn allot less, but it would be on contract sections - ie. spaceship model exterior; Mars landscape w/cave; detailed room, etc. To be honest I haven't even gotten to the point of creating budgets for remote workers. :)

could we see a part of it?

good luck
Thanks. When I have a budget and things are ready I will be providing a link to all interested parties. Even though my experience in LW is more than 15 years, my experience in animation is... well, leaned during this short. I have zero doubt that having workers from this forum would bring up the production value by several orders of magnitude - which I'm looking very much forward to. :thumbsup:

With studios here if you leave, they don't close the doors and you're welcome to come back anytime. My colleague went there last year for a job and to practice his english skills. He'll be back next year when his contract expires :D
I only have around 4-5 years experience with lw while some have over a decade. Lots of stuff to learn, the american lifestyle :thumbsup:.
That's pretty cool that they can do that. :cool: As an employer, I find it difficult to wrap my head around since you can have several people leave, you fill their positions, and then they want to return. You've only go so much in a budget. Then again, I'm guessing that your company always has lots of work coming in. :) Hopefully we'll get to that point!

LW_Will
03-28-2012, 04:11 PM
I am very interested in the idea of doing a low budget remote projects myself. I've been developing certain workflows (mocap, sets, Daz3D characters, etc) and am very close to actually doing something... but I've got to get a video together myself. ;-)

I am, needless to say, interested in developing ideas and concepts around this idea. Please contact me when you are ready to go. I'd really enjoy helping you get your production off the ground!

DigitalSorcery8
03-28-2012, 05:44 PM
I am very interested in the idea of doing a low budget remote projects myself. I've been developing certain workflows (mocap, sets, Daz3D characters, etc) and am very close to actually doing something... but I've got to get a video together myself. ;-)

I am, needless to say, interested in developing ideas and concepts around this idea. Please contact me when you are ready to go. I'd really enjoy helping you get your production off the ground!

Remotes projects/work concept is definitely interesting. Though I would find motion capture particularly difficult if you've got quite a bit of character interaction in your scenes. Or in my case I plan on (hopefully) being able to capture at least three people at once - which would reduce scene setup time significantly. Capturing one character at a time necessitates repositioning (and repositioning and repositioning...) of the second and third (or more) characters in order to get the proper interaction. I also plan on capturing the hand motions at the same time. Animating hands for me took quite a bit of time and in the final analysis I didn't really like the result. From what I have seen, mocap will work MUCH better and be much quicker.

Still... the creation of sets and props and even characters may be done using remote workers. Even setting up entire scenes with lighting and motion graphics (viewscreens, holograms, etc.) would be possible. It's of course more convenient for workers who would perhaps prefer to remain where they are currently located, but if I had my choice and it dealt primarily with creativity.... working in close quarters with other creatives makes creativity more accessible, and - as I said before - more contagious. Obviously it would be my second choice, but it is still a viable alternative.

Everything depends upon the budget. :)

Surrealist.
03-28-2012, 07:16 PM
I don't think you'll have any problem finding LightWave guys. But if you are that interested in mocap, I have a feeling that SI with Face Robot would be an excellent choice for capturing facial expressions and lip syncing. From what I have seen in Face robot, the tools are the best around for that kind of thing and would be a real time saver. Perhaps you could consider a pipeline that included SI with LW.

I also can chime in on the remote thing too. Not interested in attending an office 5 + days per week. I love the commute from my bedroom to my desk. It is smog and traffic free, warm and comfy.

In a way I think there are many advantages to off-site workers. It saves a lot of money. And what with Skype and MSN, well, it is the next best thing to being there. For some tasks it is actually more economical.

shrox
03-28-2012, 07:43 PM
Machines, car chases, crashes, flying vehicles, spaceships, I'm the man.

Human, not so much...

DigitalSorcery8
03-28-2012, 08:51 PM
I don't think you'll have any problem finding LightWave guys. But if you are that interested in mocap, I have a feeling that SI with Face Robot would be an excellent choice for capturing facial expressions and lip syncing. From what I have seen in Face robot, the tools are the best around for that kind of thing and would be a real time saver. Perhaps you could consider a pipeline that included SI with LW.
For me, it's actually been a toss-up between SI and LW. SI is far more capable, but I've found that the LW community has (apparently) more generalists and is more enthusiastic. :) Still... if there are any LW generalists that is somewhat familiar with SI and Face Robot.... it's something we'll consider. While we will be doing complete body mocap, I'm not certain about facial capture. As I recall watching some Face Robot videos, FR can do automatic lipsyncing. WHile this may save time, I REALLY like how fast and easy TAFA is. But again, our new pipeline may have lots of changes from the one I used to create the pilot. In fact I'm pretty sure it will be quite different.

I also can chime in on the remote thing too. Not interested in attending an office 5 + days per week. I love the commute from my bedroom to my desk. It is smog and traffic free, warm and comfy.
Yeah, I definitely know the feeling. Having my own home-based business for more than ten years... going to an office is not at the top of my list. But then I remember how great is was to work with like-minded people and working towards a specific goal. It was... LOTS of fun and I certainly enjoyed it - despite the travel time. ;)

In a way I think there are many advantages to off-site workers. It saves a lot of money. And what with Skype and MSN, well, it is the next best thing to being there. For some tasks it is actually more economical.
You may be right. It's something that I'm going to have to seriously consider. My largest hurdle is the motion capture which would require (at least) three of us to be in the office creating the mocap. But then as others here have already mentioned... perhaps a combination of the two would work. Obviously the local workers would have a slightly higher wage since they've got to deal with more aggravation - i.e. moving and coming into an office every day. Then again... that might be considered a perk - especially if you get a state-of-the-art workstation to use with a nice renderfarm... :thumbsup:

Machines, car chases, crashes, flying vehicles, spaceships, I'm the man.

Human, not so much...
We'll have ALL of that. And ultimately Mars sets and human cities on Mars and huge space station interiors and robots and...

It's pretty much right up your alley. :)

LW_Will
03-28-2012, 10:00 PM
Remotes projects/work concept is definitely interesting. Though I would find motion capture particularly difficult if you've got quite a bit of character interaction in your scenes. Or in my case I plan on (hopefully) being able to capture at least three people at once - which would reduce scene setup time significantly. Capturing one character at a time necessitates repositioning (and repositioning and repositioning...) of the second and third (or more) characters in order to get the proper interaction. I also plan on capturing the hand motions at the same time. Animating hands for me took quite a bit of time and in the final analysis I didn't really like the result. From what I have seen, mocap will work MUCH better and be much quicker.

I've been looking at some unique solutions for the mocap thing... but, doing hands and other small things (like face capture) are not very efficient. And face robot, as I have heard from several dozen people, is NOT very practical... there are easier ways to get the job done.

(On the hands? Morphs will work much better than posing the hands individually... I'm just saying.)

Still... the creation of sets and props and even characters may be done using remote workers. Even setting up entire scenes with lighting and motion graphics (viewscreens, holograms, etc.) would be possible. It's of course more convenient for workers who would perhaps prefer to remain where they are currently located, but if I had my choice and it dealt primarily with creativity.... working in close quarters with other creatives makes creativity more accessible, and - as I said before - more contagious. Obviously it would be my second choice, but it is still a viable alternative.

Everything depends upon the budget. :)

I know what you mean about being in the room. Its like Jazz music. Its an equation... 1 plus 1 makes 3... me in the room, you in the room and the "room" as the "third" man. The third man is that person that you get from being in a room of people who know what they are doing. Ideas are thought of, considered and dismissed in a nano-second... and inspire someone to think of another approach. Jazz music.

And you have to be in the room. I've worked with several people via Skype... and it just isn't the same. You've heard the expression, 'you had to be there'? Well... in this case you must be there.

If you are trying to make a series, great. I think it would be fabulous to work with you. But, if you are finding people to make a studio that will stick together? That is an amazing thing. I will DEFINITELY be on your doorstep tomorrow morning.

Again, I understand, depends on the budget. ;-)

DigitalSorcery8
03-28-2012, 10:54 PM
I've been looking at some unique solutions for the mocap thing... but, doing hands and other small things (like face capture) are not very efficient. And face robot, as I have heard from several dozen people, is NOT very practical... there are easier ways to get the job done.

(On the hands? Morphs will work much better than posing the hands individually... I'm just saying.)
I would agree with the hand capture - most I've seen have not been very good. But the ShapeHand solution from Measurand looks "not too bad" and coupled with their body mocap it's a pretty good solution. MY original body mocap was done with an 8 camera Optitrack system - worked flawlessly - but it had such a small capture volume that certain motions were not easy.

For my pilot, I actually did use morphs for the hands. I used PoseMixer from Grant Williams. It did a pretty good job, but for me it was still VERY time-consuming and ultimately I wasn't happy with how the hands did turn out. Since we're not talking Star Wars The Clone Wars here, I figure basic hand-finger mocap should work pretty well. Right now I can't afford perfection. :) Then again, I may not be able to afford cheap either. :eek:

I know what you mean about being in the room. Its like Jazz music. Its an equation... 1 plus 1 makes 3... me in the room, you in the room and the "room" as the "third" man. The third man is that person that you get from being in a room of people who know what they are doing. Ideas are thought of, considered and dismissed in a nano-second... and inspire someone to think of another approach. Jazz music.

And you have to be in the room. I've worked with several people via Skype... and it just isn't the same. You've heard the expression, 'you had to be there'? Well... in this case you must be there.
Yeah, that's pretty much it. I think that you can get much more done with everyone in one room than scattered across the country. While you're working on a scene you can have instant feedback rather than taking the time to set up a quick conference. But as with all things, there are advantages and disadvantages to all setups.

If you are trying to make a series, great. I think it would be fabulous to work with you. But, if you are finding people to make a studio that will stick together? That is an amazing thing. I will DEFINITELY be on your doorstep tomorrow morning.

Again, I understand, depends on the budget. ;-)
That's what I'm hoping for. If we can get this series to work well, it won't be the only thing we do. It's fun to have a job that you like and do different things so as not to get bored or stuck in a rut. You've got to enjoy work for it to be really healthy. It definitely will NOT be easy, but then... nothing worthwhile ever is. :thumbsup:

djwaterman
03-28-2012, 10:54 PM
I'm not putting my hand up for anything, but I'm happy to see a LW friendly production get up. Would you consider that since this is still in early stages, you also work in some kind of development diary or blog that keeps the community somewhat in the loop. We like to see LW being used in production but often you only hear of it after the fact. This sounds like a great opportunity for the right people, but those of us not involved would still like to know how it all pans out. ("we", "us"? I'm speaking for myself of course.)

DigitalSorcery8
03-28-2012, 11:09 PM
I'm not putting my hand up for anything, but I'm happy to see a LW friendly production get up. Would you consider that since this is still in early stages, you also work in some kind of development diary or blog that keeps the community somewhat in the loop. We like to see LW being used in production but often you only hear of it after the fact. This sounds like a great opportunity for the right people, but those of us not involved would still like to know how it all pans out. ("we", "us"? I'm speaking for myself of course.)

That's a very good idea - and something I hadn't thought of.

If everything comes together as I hope it will, once we get the team together I'll see what we can do to get that going. I always like inspiring stuff, and if something like this could inspire others I'm all for it. Hopefully we'll see the start of a studio that will continue to grow - and not a crash and burn effort. :) But then I'm an optimist - we can go VERY far. I just need that spark - called a decent budget. :beerchug:

Surrealist.
03-29-2012, 12:00 AM
Just on the Face Robot factor. I do think it has gotten the reputation of an auto lip syc tool. But it is far more than that. It is actually the best facial animation rig set up I have ever seen.

http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/index.php?title=Face_Robot_Learning_Movies

So it can be used for key framing. And it can be used for motion capture. There is set up and clean up with Mocap but I think depending on your indented style it could be the only way to get the look, if not the fastest.

http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com
/index.php?title=Image:Face_Robot_Kitty_Hunting_Sid e_By_Side.jpg

DigitalSorcery8
03-29-2012, 12:55 PM
Just on the Face Robot factor. I do think it has gotten the reputation of an auto lip syc tool. But it is far more than that. It is actually the best facial animation rig set up I have ever seen.

http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/index.php?title=Face_Robot_Learning_Movies

So it can be used for key framing. And it can be used for motion capture. There is set up and clean up with Mocap but I think depending on your indented style it could be the only way to get the look, if not the fastest.

http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com
/index.php?title=Image:Face_Robot_Kitty_Hunting_Sid e_By_Side.jpg

Interestingly enough, I didn't know that Face Robot had auto-lipsyncing capabilities - I didn't find that out till recently. I did know it was perfect for applying mocapped faces and for keyframing. It's an extremely versatile tool. I'm looking at EVERYTHING I can to reduce production time and still have a pretty decent animation. I'm not expecting perfection - heck, look at most CG cartoons today - but I would like to make this as good as possible and as the budget allows.

Currently the faces in my pilot are all morph-driven - and I'm nowhere near the best modeler so they are merely adequate. Hopefully with better-skilled people the end result will be much more satisfactory. The pipeline hasn't been established yet, so Face Robot MAY be the way to go.

Thanks for the info and links! Oh... and I like your cloth-sim test too!

LW_Will
03-29-2012, 01:31 PM
I do like the idea that we are "getting the band (back) together" for this gig. I SOOO want to see some footage, maybe even some stills, of the pilot. Maybe a g+ hangout?? Skype?

As I said before keep, please keep me informed.

DigitalSorcery8
03-29-2012, 06:12 PM
I do like the idea that we are "getting the band (back) together" for this gig. I SOOO want to see some footage, maybe even some stills, of the pilot. Maybe a g+ hangout?? Skype?
I just like the idea of STARTING the band. :)

As I said before keep, please keep me informed.
On this thread and in the jobs section - hopefully! :thumbsup:

Surrealist.
03-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Interestingly enough, I didn't know that Face Robot had auto-lipsyncing capabilities - I didn't find that out till recently. I did know it was perfect for applying mocapped faces and for keyframing. It's an extremely versatile tool. I'm looking at EVERYTHING I can to reduce production time and still have a pretty decent animation. I'm not expecting perfection - heck, look at most CG cartoons today - but I would like to make this as good as possible and as the budget allows.

Currently the faces in my pilot are all morph-driven - and I'm nowhere near the best modeler so they are merely adequate. Hopefully with better-skilled people the end result will be much more satisfactory. The pipeline hasn't been established yet, so Face Robot MAY be the way to go.

Thanks for the info and links! Oh... and I like your cloth-sim test too!

Cool. And regarding the cloth sim it was just a simple test. Nothing fancy. Just in the process of TD research right now.

DigitalSorcery8
03-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Cool. And regarding the cloth sim it was just a simple test. Nothing fancy. Just in the process of TD research right now.

Yeah, but it looked great and it's an interesting concept.

We've got Syflex for LW - but it hasn't been updated in YEARS. I never did us eit in my pilot because I was trying to keep complexity down to a minimum, but all my test showed it worked nicely - and quickly.

jasonwestmas
03-30-2012, 12:44 PM
If you have syflex, don't loose that in your sock drawer or wherever, you'll need it. :D

DigitalSorcery8
03-30-2012, 05:37 PM
If you have syflex, don't loose that in your sock drawer or wherever, you'll need it. :D
At the price I paid? I certainly won't be losing it!

I am hoping that they'll update it AND that it works with LW11.