PDA

View Full Version : LW11 instancing: jointed object?

jeric_synergy
03-25-2012, 12:40 PM
If you have a small, animated assembly, like a simple windmill or fan w/rotating blades, is it possible to use the LW11 Instancer to populate a surface with rotating fans?

More generally, how can you clone/instance complicated, multilayer objects across another object's surface?

tnx

XswampyX
03-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Just parent your rotating fan to your base and then click on this box.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/FanBall.jpg

jeric_synergy
03-25-2012, 01:33 PM
Thanks, swampy, another elegant answer. :bowdown:

I guess I should hold my questions until I finish reading the dox, but the style of the dox (which seems to be, "present useless info FIRST, bury the good stuff deep") is painful to read.

jeric_synergy
03-25-2012, 01:43 PM
Compare:
original
There are several types of instancing for the user to choose from. Most of these provide additional dedicated controls when activated. In addition, each instance type can use the options found under the tabs at the bottom right of the panel to control the distribution and range limits of various attributes for instances. Nodes are available to allow for varying the surfaces among instances, and controlling other attributes as well. First we will list the types and their dedicated controls, then we will cover the controls in the tabs below.

edited
There are several types of instancing. Specific controls exist for each type. Options in the tabs at the bottom right of the panel control distribution and various transformations and limits of the instances. Nodes can control surfacing among instances, and can control other attributes as well. Following is a list of the instance types and their controls, then a description of the controls in the tabs.

jeric_synergy
03-25-2012, 02:00 PM
Ha, who has time?

Regardez, si vous plait, the attached picture. The min/max heading values of the instances are set to -89 to -90. Shouldn't the heading rotation then vary extremely little (I'm not sure what the increments might be, maybe as small as 1 degree)? :question:

But, as you can see from the image, some of the 'windmills' are rotated 45 from each other. So, what's going on here? THANKS!

(It may seem like I'm complaining a lot about the Instancing facility, but in fact I think it's really cool. OTOH, see "Baker's Dilemma" defined below.) :angel:

XswampyX
03-25-2012, 02:27 PM
If you set your rotation to 0deg, some of the windmills will be at 90deg to each other.

You want Target item. Target the balls centre.

JBT27
03-25-2012, 04:16 PM
On the other hand, I have set ranges of 300 degrees or so for heading, but found the instances remarkably reluctant to wander much off a 20 degrees variation, so it seems.

Bit of a devil when doing alot of trees and they are clearly all more or less pointing the same way. Still haven't figured how to get the instancer to do what I want on that one ...

Julian.