PDA

View Full Version : Quadro 4000 with LW11

Bitboy
03-25-2012, 08:15 AM
Hi folks.

I had to get me a decent Quadro card but so far I've not been terribly impressed by the performance in LW11. I used to have a GTX470 but it had compatability problems with Adobe Premiere which I desperately need for client projects. It worked real well with LW though.

Does anyone here know if I can improve LW performance with the Quadro 4000 by adjusting any settings in the NVidia driver or in LW11? I'm running the latest Quadro driver release.

Scenes are slow to show up after loading/processing and I've had quite a few 'Not responding' incidents in both Layout and Modeler when doing different operations.

Thanks a lot in advance for any input you can give me :)

Andy Meyer
03-26-2012, 02:42 PM
The quadro 4000 is based on GTX 460 architecture.
the difference is the driver, the "pro driver" is what makes that thing so expensive.
Premiere is optimized for pro drivers, LW and most 3d apps are not.
the 470 maybe a bit faster than the quadro 4000 on non optimized apps.

dont take my words for granted, but i think for pro cards there are different app dependent drivers available. maybe you can find a generic pro driver that works better... be sure to make some kind of system backup before testing...

i use Premiere from time to time (CS5/CS4) and i had never a problem with my consumer card. gtx285 and gtx580.

Bitboy
03-26-2012, 02:51 PM
Thanks Andy.

I've looked but so far no luck with anything LW related to the Quadro cards. Premiere gave me NVidia drivers errors, program lockups and export problems and the Quadro card solved all that - phew! :)

I'm still meddling to see if I can figure out the right settings. Enabling Aero actually helped a bit it seems. Before I ran with it off since some video editing programs needed to disable the deskop composition engine.

biliousfrog
03-27-2012, 06:15 AM
Disabling Aero can cause a load of problems, unless you need to run something in compatibility mode leave it alone

Andy Meyer
03-27-2012, 06:59 PM
you did try to tweak the GL setting in the Preferences window, right?
i would start to disable all items in the GL tab and try some combinations with shading method and geometry acceleration.

prometheus
03-29-2012, 06:09 AM
Thanks Andy.

I've looked but so far no luck with anything LW related to the Quadro cards. Premiere gave me NVidia drivers errors, program lockups and export problems and the Quadro card solved all that - phew! :)

I'm still meddling to see if I can figure out the right settings. Enabling Aero actually helped a bit it seems. Before I ran with it off since some video editing programs needed to disable the deskop composition engine.

Hmm.. I havenīt noticed any real issue with a gtx 480 card and premiere.

Michael

Bitboy
03-29-2012, 10:16 AM
If it's the Premiere CS5.5 version you wouldn't since they added compatability with the GTX cards in that version. The CS5.0 version I have doesn't have that so it has behaved oddly in some instances. You can make it work by adding the name of the card in a config file under Premiere and then use the GPU for work but it's a bit of a hack :D It's not totally reliable though :p

LW_Will
03-29-2012, 04:23 PM
There was a hack to fix this. Basically you would add the name of your geforce card to a file in the Premiere, AFX, and Photoshop and it would work... especially for the faster graphics cards.

Not sure about 5.5 or 6.0...

Rayek
03-29-2012, 09:58 PM
Unless you use Maya or Max, quadros are a waste of money. Actually, AMD/ATI 7900 offers much more bang for the buck than a Quadro in regards to opengl performance.

http://www.cgchannel.com/2011/10/review-professional-gpus-nvidia-vs-amd-2011/

...and for those saying 'nay, we need cuda', you could always add a nvidia card for pure gpu computing.

*edit* I used to have a 480gtx that worked like a charm in Premiere - just change the list of 'supported' cards.

Andy Meyer
03-29-2012, 10:04 PM
hey guys, i'm working with AE5 and PS5 all days with my gtx580. did i miss something? can i make AE/PS faster with some entries in a config file? i mean faster in real world for comping 3d animations with multiple exr layers? imho the bottleneck is disc speed and the lack of real multithreading, the multi frame rendering just asks for too much ram with my 2+ year old 12gb rig :-(

Rayek
03-29-2012, 10:26 PM
In CS4 Premiere I had to add an entry for the 480gtx in the supported gpu list, but nowadays CS5 Premiere supports nvidia's consumer line of cards as well.

As for AE: your best bet is installing double the memory you now have, and a RAID array to speed things up?

With a lot of memory a ram disk can be installed, and Photoshop temp disk set to that - some people say it speeds things up a *lot* in Photoshop.

Andy Meyer
03-29-2012, 10:27 PM
Rayek, i just read the cgchannel review.
ouch, didnt know that lw viewport is up to 10 times slower than in newer 3d apps...

but what really sucks is that they only compare pro cards. well, it's cgchannel :-).
looks like sponsored pro cards commercial.

Andy Meyer
03-29-2012, 10:39 PM
In CS4 Premiere I had to add an entry for the 480gtx in the supported gpu list, but nowadays CS5 Premiere supports nvidia's consumer line of cards as well.

As for AE: your best bet is installing double the memory you now have, and a RAID array to speed things up?

With a lot of memory a ram disk can be installed, and Photoshop temp disk set to that - some people say it speeds things up a *lot* in Photoshop.

i plan to build a new rig so i dont update my old machine.
i have a raid 0 with 2*600gb 10k raptors.
the new rig will have 64gb ram and a raid 0 with 4*600gb 10k raptors or maybe 15k sas.
the system disc of course is ssd and will be an even faster ssd on my new rig. i think that is was AE is asking for...

prometheus
03-30-2012, 12:37 AM
If it's the Premiere CS5.5 version you wouldn't since they added compatability with the GTX cards in that version. The CS5.0 version I have doesn't have that so it has behaved oddly in some instances. You can make it work by adding the name of the card in a config file under Premiere and then use the GPU for work but it's a bit of a hack :D It's not totally reliable though :p

I use old cs3 version of adobe premiere and after effects..not sure if thereīs supposed to be an issue with that and nvidia gtx 480.

Michael

Bitboy
03-30-2012, 06:22 AM
No it's only issues with Adobe's Mercury GPU rendering enging I've had and that's available from 5.0 and forwards.