PDA

View Full Version : Tree in Lightwave 10.1

rcallicotte
03-24-2012, 06:22 AM
Not saying this is a problem with LW. It's likely a misunderstanding on my part.

The first image is what I get when I do a render...I'm not doing anything incorrectly or even extreme. This is a plain render with default settings in GI.

The second and third image show how the texture is setup.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Nicolas Jordan
03-24-2012, 06:55 AM
Be sure you have your color and transparency maps assigned to the right UV. Maybe you need to invert our transparency map. If your using transparency make sure your "ray recursion limit is set high enough. You may want to use a clip map instead of a transparency map as they are much less render intensive and you won't have t worry about setting ray recursion limit etc.

SteveH
03-24-2012, 08:19 AM
This looks exactly like a tree from a set I bought from here http://www.nwdanet.com/buy/8-object-packs/12-trees/62-hq-spruce-tree-bundle.
Look on your UV maps and see if there isn't a UV map named
ND19_Needle1. That's the name I have for those needles anyway.

Sensei
03-24-2012, 08:20 AM
Needle not double sided?!

rcallicotte
03-24-2012, 12:07 PM
Thanks everyone! I'll check all of this out later, when I'm not running around doing this and that over the weekend. Just finished the first mow of the year! It was like a swamp.

rcallicotte
03-24-2012, 04:07 PM
I don't see "ray recursion". Where do I find this? [CORRECTION - Just found it]

Where would I get the clip map? Do I need to make one?

Be sure you have your color and transparency maps assigned to the right UV. Maybe you need to invert our transparency map. If your using transparency make sure your "ray recursion limit is set high enough. You may want to use a clip map instead of a transparency map as they are much less render intensive and you won't have t worry about setting ray recursion limit etc.

rcallicotte
03-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Sort of the same name - 'picea_19mt_uv'

This looks exactly like a tree from a set I bought from here http://www.nwdanet.com/buy/8-object-packs/12-trees/62-hq-spruce-tree-bundle.
Look on your UV maps and see if there isn't a UV map named
ND19_Needle1. That's the name I have for those needles anyway.

dmind
03-24-2012, 06:12 PM
You can add animation to the tree very easily, how to make it is explained in this thread:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=121042

:thumbsup:

rcallicotte
03-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Thanks dmind. My problem is getting an xFrog tree into Lightwave at all with some very broken texturing.

dmind
03-25-2012, 05:43 AM
Thanks dmind. My problem is getting an xFrog tree into Lightwave at all with some very broken texturing.

I exported models in obj format from Xfrog in and it works great, then when you import you have to apply the textures assign the correct uv, but for me works perfect.
Anyway the tutorial applies to any tree, the leaves need only have uv map and you can apply it.

rcallicotte
03-25-2012, 06:16 AM
Okay. Do you mean you used the xFrog tree creator to export? Or was it a tree you purchased from xFrog?

I exported models in obj format from Xfrog in and it works great, then when you import you have to apply the textures assign the correct uv, but for me works perfect.
Anyway the tutorial applies to any tree, the leaves need only have uv map and you can apply it.

dmind
03-25-2012, 06:32 AM
Okay. Do you mean you used the xFrog tree creator to export? Or was it a tree you purchased from xFrog?

I use Xfrog for tree and vegetation creation and you can export files in LWO or Obj among other formats. :thumbsup:

rcallicotte
03-25-2012, 06:36 AM
Can you export in LWO in the Lite version? I checked their site and do not see much about Export.

I use Xfrog for tree and vegetation creation and you can export files in LWO or Obj among other formats. :thumbsup:

dmind
03-25-2012, 07:45 AM
Can you export in LWO in the Lite version? I checked their site and do not see much about Export.

I do not know, I have the full version, in which can be exported in almost all formats. Anyway on the web there are plenty of trees for download for free in various formats. I suggest Obj, exports the UV better than Lwo (Problem from Xfrog).