PDA

View Full Version : right choice!

cresshead
10-21-2003, 06:17 PM
hi i'd just like to comment that i made the right choice switching to lightwave from my "other" 3d program last year...i stayed with Version 4 of that software and just downloaded the version 6 overview video's today that showcase what i'd get if i spent 1250+vat upgrading to the latest version of that...boy..i'm so glad i jumped off that train!...most are vague tweeks the only thing i saw that had "some" use would be a new particle system...but i've had a great one in that prog for ages, "matterwaves" [plugin] so no real benefit to me...

on the other hand what i've seen so far of what we'll get in lightwave 8 has me sitting on the edge of my seat!..can't wait to try all the new/relevent/production worthwhile advances in lw8
and as newtek say's there's more to be announced as well...
well...definately the right choice for me.

i'd have to say i've made better model's in lightwave and more realistic renders too...can't complain with lw7.5 so lw 8 will be V cool!

end of diary style rant!

steve g

hrgiger
10-21-2003, 06:18 PM
You can admit it Steve. That "other" 3d software is Max...;)

cresshead
10-21-2003, 07:37 PM
the other observation i'd add is that i've been making an underwater scene in lightwave and in **x...trying to make a very similar thing in both without resorting to loading up any lightwave files into m**....

i thought i would be much simpler and faster in *a* as i had a old m** 1 tutorial i could look at where as the lightwave version was from scratch...well lightwave version was faster to create and so far looks better and renders faster too...and i've spent 3 yrs longer in m**...go figure!

raytracing in m*x had to be dropped as it took too long for my
200 frames i'd need..and fog looks pretty poor in comparison to lw..which as you know you can preview in the viewport, so making it a snap to setup.

one thing i did like in *a* is you can use proc textures for light projector maps to fake caustic paterns on the sea floor.
other than that i've had a loooong day in m** 4.

off to wax some turtle shells!

steve g

dwburman
10-21-2003, 10:51 PM
Dude, You CAN use procedurals for light projection maps. I got this technique from a magazine. It was about showing procedurals in the OpenGL preview but it should work for lights as well.

Make a blank image in whatever graphics app you use [I made mine: white.png]. (You may be able to use any image). Load that image into the image editor in LW. In the Image Editor panel click on the "processing" tab. Select "Textured Filter" from the "Add Filter" pull down menu. Make sure the "Animate Filters" box is checked. Double click on the filter then click on the 'Texture' button and boom, you have LW's texure editor. Simply set up your procedural (possibly using the VALUE procedural as a background layer to change the base color if needed) as if it were going on a simple square poly. Add a spotlight to be used as your projector. At the bottom of the Item Properties panel select your image [white.png] from the Projection Image pull down.

You may have to adjust the scale and colors of the texture but this will project your procedural texture from your spot light. Unfortunately this seems to slow things down a great deal so you may be better off setting up your texture on a plane (or "Texured Environment" from the Backdrops Panel) and rendering out a sequence and using that as a Projection Image. LW's Underwater and Ripples procedurals are loopable so you only have to render a little bit.

Hope you can decipher what I tried to say in this. :)

dwburman

mattclary
10-22-2003, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by cresshead
**x m** *a* m** m** m*x *a* m**

LOL! :D

cresshead
10-22-2003, 06:23 AM
i had a little fun with that!....not too hard to decifer for the avareage lightwave user then??...m*y* artists may struggle though........;)

stee+cats

riki
10-22-2003, 07:05 AM
I think it's good to know a few different 3D apps. So it can't be a bad thing.

Aegis
10-22-2003, 07:22 AM
I tend to use luminosity procedurals to create that caustic effect...

Chris S. (Fez)
10-22-2003, 09:48 AM
Max 6 offers subpixel displacement among other features through a seamlessly integrated Mental Ray, awesome vertex paint and some really nifty new skinning tools. Lightwave could use some attention in these areas.

pixelmonk
10-22-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Chris S. (Fez)
Max 6 offers subpixel displacement among other features through a seamlessly integrated Mental Ray, awesome vertex paint and some really nifty new skinning tools. Lightwave could use some attention in these areas.

we'll see how "seamless" the integration is. Maya claimed that back in 4.5 and it's still not 100%.