PDA

View Full Version : animate 2 point poly chain -- etch a sketch

medicalart
03-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Is there a way to get a writing effect using only 2 point polys? Something like an etch a sketch, going in all three dimensions. I want to watch a line being drawn going up, then down , back, across, etc. I know about morphing along bones, trailer, etc., but I'm wondering if there's a way to do it without scaffolding of any kind -- just using a mesh, or 2 point polys. Thanks.

lertola2
03-23-2012, 07:05 PM
Yes you can do this by putting a weight map gradient on your 2 point poly chain and then using inertia displacement. See Greg Sullivan's streamers tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/user/gsullivanjr

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=102895&stc=1&d=1332551050

medicalart
03-24-2012, 08:56 AM
Yes you can do this by putting a weight map gradient on your 2 point poly chain and then using inertia displacement.

Interesting technique and helpful, thanks, though I don't think it will work for what I want to do. I'd like to be able to have a 'streamer' effect, but one that adheres to an object's mesh, or at least some of it, creating a contour drawing much the same way an etch-a-sketch would. Probably have to use bones.

jeric_synergy
03-24-2012, 12:26 PM
See Greg Sullivan's streamers tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/user/gsullivanjr

Hmmmm, I'm not seeing that tutorial. :( Nor in Greg's list.

Is it just me, or has YouTube made their interface incredibly inconvenient?

medicalart
03-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Hmmmm, I'm not seeing that tutorial. :( Nor in Greg's list.

Is it just me, or has YouTube made their interface incredibly inconvenient?

It's the 8th one on the list. Title starts with "Siggraph Lightwave..."

jeric_synergy
03-24-2012, 01:16 PM
It's the 8th one on the list. Title starts with "Siggraph Lightwave..."
Oy. :eek: Thanks. :foreheads :foreheads :foreheads

I (claim) believe the internet has hurt my reading skilz..... :newhere:

I've watched this before, and it's one of my fav tutorials-- cool results, and moves briskly along. Kudos to Greg.

(Note to mention he avoided using Nodes in Surfacing-- my elderly brain thanks him.)

lertola2
03-25-2012, 05:54 AM
Interesting technique and helpful, thanks, though I don't think it will work for what I want to do. I'd like to be able to have a 'streamer' effect, but one that adheres to an object's mesh, or at least some of it, creating a contour drawing much the same way an etch-a-sketch would. Probably have to use bones.

In modeler you could select the points on your mesh that you want to draw along. Make a spline curve and then export that as a motion path. You could then use that motion path to make the motion of your line conform to your object.

medicalart
03-25-2012, 07:50 AM
In modeler you could select the points on your mesh that you want to draw along. Make a spline curve and then export that as a motion path. You could then use that motion path to make the motion of your line conform to your object.
I'll try that. Thanks.