PDA

View Full Version : Instances and Displacement

khan973
03-23-2012, 07:09 AM
Hi,

I've seen that we can put manu different surfaces to an instanced object to make it look different.
However, those material nodes don't carry any Displacement informations which would be very useful.

Imagine one Object that could look different based on its Displacement.
We could have a Humanoid based shape and make it look totally different with the displacement.
Or a box that becomes many different cards.

How is that possible with one object? I can't find a way, it seems like Displacement are out of this equation.

Sensei
03-23-2012, 07:17 AM
Clone reference object, add displacement or bones, and instance that clone instead of reference. Repeat it couple times.

khan973
03-23-2012, 08:33 AM
Well I think it won't work, because usually your Displacement has to be related to your surfaces. Int that case we end up with objects having textures that won't always match their displaced shape.

Sensei
03-23-2012, 08:36 AM
If texture doesn't stick with regular object, not instanced, then it won't stick with instanced too. So I don't understand your problem?

You must first make uv maps and bake all existing automatically projected textures to image maps, prior to doing any deformation. But that has nothing to do with instancing..

gerry_g
03-23-2012, 08:42 AM
object displaced would still reference the same uv's so although u would get stretching and some distortion they would still fit no ?, but yes instancing does feel limited as in what you can do on a per object basis does not seem possible on instances – apply distance to object/distance to pivot point parameters to instances for example

khan973
03-23-2012, 09:11 AM
Maybe I didn't explain it right,
The new Multi material node allows us to have one object and many materials that are used across all the instances.
Unfortunately those materials can't carry a displacement as the displacement is attached to the mesh or to the surface.
There is no material node that has a displacement plug.

So I can have one shape with many possible materials but I'd like them to have different displacement too.
That way I have only one object loaded but once instancedd, not only it can look different but also have a different shape.

The solitions mentioned previously don't allow that.
We would need to have a standard material node that has a displacement plug.