PDA

View Full Version : PhotoShop Cs6 Public Beta

OnlineRender
03-23-2012, 04:07 AM
60 days free, loving it so far http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/photoshopcs6/

gerry_g
03-23-2012, 05:34 AM
U can see every thing you want at http://www.lynda.com/Member.aspx (about an hors worth of feature by feature walk through) why bother installing it, only gotta take it out again

raw-m
03-23-2012, 05:50 AM
It does look good. Just out of interest, have you tried converting PS text to 3d and playing with the bevels and exporting to LW? Was wondering if was a good way to go rather than what we have at the moment, esp intricate bevelling etc.

gerry_g
03-23-2012, 06:47 AM
PS 3D workflow is clumsy on anything but the fastest machine and navigation abysmal, would think any extrusion or bevel is purely an internal thing and probably a cheat and non exportable, on the other hand there are no end of plugs that allow third party apps to texture in PS, Mayer and ZBrush have them and I've heard people swear by them, never been inclined to try it beyond the once way too frustrating for my taste.

raw-m
03-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Yes, totally agree gerry_g, PS's 3d workflow is a PITA (try adjusting/adding lights!) but I have managed to export models from CS5 as a dae file with mixed results. I'm not going to try the beta because of the hoops I had to jump through getting it off my machine in order to get a clean install when the official release came out. Can't remember what happened, but I still feel the scars!!

OnlineRender
03-23-2012, 10:35 AM
tbh I just installed it today , but there is a few new things I love "cs3" user so it's a big jump in ohhh factor however Cs3 now will not let me activate text it keeps throwing an error so be aware this may have nothing to do with the beta but it was ironic that happened after I installed the beta ...

as for un-installing it , meh that's nothing 60 days free will ding dang do for me

Philbert
03-23-2012, 04:48 PM
I'm installing it now. To Gerry: I'm installing it because I'd like to try the features, rather than just looking at them.

LW_Will
03-23-2012, 05:17 PM
I'm not convinced about PS. Don't know what I'm going to do.

I mean, the interface is now DARK (yay) the 3D is... a little better. I seems that Adobe actually understand what 3D is now... they haven't done it right, of course, but hey... they've only had it for a little over 7 years now... no reason to get it right by now.

And video... um... now, is it my mistake or is the video just... added? No color correction? No plugins? Nothing... but putting video together, which you could do before, if you wanted to use PS. Totally the wrong program, but still...

Philbert
03-23-2012, 05:56 PM
PS had nonlinear editing before? I knew you could load video or animation but I've never tried it.

LW_Will
03-24-2012, 02:30 PM
PS had nonlinear editing before? I knew you could load video or animation but I've never tried it.

Yup... but it was SORELY limited. (Pulled a rather large piece of video apart for further AFX-ing) but again... not so much video as sequential images that you couldn't really do anything with... ::shrug::

Rayek
03-26-2012, 12:59 PM
...still no multiple layer masks per layer.
...still no nodal approach. Layers can only get you that far.
...still the same old fashioned workflow.
...still the same limited smart objects
...still the same old save for web, with no png 8bit full alpha channel support.
...and so on, and on.

Well, at least we can filter layers now, and 'real' vector tools are available (at long last).

Philbert
03-26-2012, 01:02 PM
ur
Yup... but it was SORELY limited. (Pulled a rather large piece of video apart for further AFX-ing) but again... not so much video as sequential images that you couldn't really do anything with... ::shrug::

Of course it was also limited to the Extended version, now every version has it.

OnlineRender
03-26-2012, 02:13 PM
tilt shift is nice

souzou
03-26-2012, 04:29 PM
And video... um... now, is it my mistake or is the video just... added? No color correction? No plugins? Nothing... but putting video together, which you could do before, if you wanted to use PS. Totally the wrong program, but still...

If you pull video in (as video or an image sequence) you can use filters on it (just like images) or adjustment/effects layers, etc. You can also keyframe some of those parameters (not filters which are destructive, although it does give you an 'altered video' visible/invisble switch so you can see original video. If you open Window>Animation you can see the animation timeline which gives you access to the keyframe parameters. At least that is how things work in PS CS5 Extended.

Titus
03-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Mmmh! video manipulation? maybe we can start calling it Premiere.

biliousfrog
03-27-2012, 05:06 AM
Computer Arts has a nice rundown of 10 key features:

http://www.computerarts.co.uk/blog/photoshop-cs6-10-things-you-need-know-123040

Stylesheets is a nice addition for anyone working with text and the various interface tweaks and GPU accelerated features sound very interesting from a productivity viewpoint. Personally, it's the interface improvements which I'm most interested in, I have no interest in video as After Effects does it all and more, same with 3D.

souzou
03-27-2012, 05:27 AM
Personally, it's the interface improvements which I'm most interested in, I have no interest in video as After Effects does it all and more, same with 3D.

There are a few filters in PS that haven't found their way into AE yet that I've found useful on occasion (artistic/sketch). Otherwise we find we rarely use PS these days, even styleframes we do straight in AE.

biliousfrog
03-27-2012, 05:54 AM
Souzou, the Versus website has the best landing page I've ever seen :D

souzou
03-27-2012, 06:05 AM
heh thanks :D

(it does get tiring after a while though, we need to make some more!)

hunter
03-28-2012, 08:33 AM
Mmmh! video manipulation? maybe we can start calling it Premiere.

Yeah it actually plays image sequences better than premiere cs5 does.