PDA

View Full Version : Commodore is back with hi-spec Amiga mini

motivalex
03-23-2012, 03:38 AM
Always had a fondness for the Amiga. Curiously glanced at the various fan based reincarnations over the years. It seems though, Commodore has been reborn with new owners/investors.

http://www.commodoreusa.net//CUSA_Home.aspx

The new Amiga mini has decent specs with I7 processor, 16gb RAM, USB 3, Geforce graphics card etc and Linux operating system.

http://www.commodoreusa.net//CUSA_AMIGAmini.aspx

Would be nice if there was a Linux version of Lightwave to run on it, or at least the renderer.

I think they need to improve their marketing and get a decent website designed that is not stuck in 1998.

jwiede
03-23-2012, 06:23 AM
:rolleyes:
Time once again to molest one of the squickiest, most-molested corpses in computerdom! Try not to let any get on ya!

Cageman
03-23-2012, 06:46 AM
Hmm... Well... they are building PCs to a certain quality level, and with some specific features... they call it the Amiga... I don't see anything wrong with this stuff...

"At Commodore USA, our goal is to restore the AMIGA brand to its former glory. Our mantra is to produce "Beautiful, High-Performance, Home Computers for Creativity and Entertainment". Our reboot and re-imagining of the classic AMIGA line-up will showcase the latest and greatest Personal Computer Hardware and Operating System technology available today."

Sounds pretty ok to me... and, who knows... getting some standards into the PC-HW djungle is probably a good thing. They should make sure to have some form of emulator for classic Amiga installed as well.

:)

jburford
03-23-2012, 07:10 AM
They missed the boat, they missed the Boat, they missed the boat. (sorry could not help it)

If there were not the likes of Android and iPad and Such. . .. then there could be some chance, but at this late hour and at that price!

prometheus
03-23-2012, 07:30 AM
I wonder when the betamax video tapes will be resurrected:D

Cageman
03-23-2012, 07:32 AM
They missed the boat, they missed the Boat, they missed the boat. (sorry could not help it)

If there were not the likes of Android and iPad and Such. . .. then there could be some chance, but at this late hour and at that price!

Well, as you might have noticed, those PCs they sell there are "glorified" intel-based machines that you can run windows or linux on. Glorified in that they have a unique design regarding the actual box, and that they might have some components that are of higher quality than the usual PC-motherboard.

See them as cool design-pc's... not as Amigas or as a "lets revive Amiga again" kind of thing, because, it is clearly not about reviving something old; it's about getting PCs having a sort of personality to them, as Macs have had for years.

Not entirely a bad thing or concept, I must say. :)

prometheus
03-23-2012, 07:40 AM
Looking at it, well I think they should work on the design some more, too boxy.
The surface finish might be good thou.

Blue ray slot built in? hmm donīt know about that, throw the whole computer when the blue ray isnīt up to date in standard anymore? there might be a reason for old chassi boxes with place for that.

jburford
03-23-2012, 07:52 AM
I hear ya Cageman, the only problem is they are putting the name Commodore and Amiga on it.........

and other than a few hundred. .... around the world, no one will touch it. IMO

not after if being bought up and resurrected, and then dumped, and then bought up and "resurrected" and dumped and then bought up and Trashed. Puts a really sore taste in most all mouths.

Nangleator
03-23-2012, 08:28 AM
Juggle me some chrome balls and we'll talk.

BigHache
03-23-2012, 09:38 AM
I think it's an interesting and fun concept, but I'm also one who owned a C64 and an Amiga 1000.

The Amiga Mini is cute and Mac Mini like, but not at that price. I don't care what the insides are, the average user isn't going to pay large tower pricing for a "mini" computer. At $1500 users still have to go buy Windows. It's going to take a heck of a lot of marketing to convince users "Commodore OS is all you need, you don't need Windows too/instead". Perhaps Commodore forgot that when MS stopped developing Internet Explorer and it wasn't up to W3C standards, it was still the most used browser even though FireFox was widely available.

I wish them luck but yeah, I think they missed the boat too.

Titus
03-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Ain't Commodore, and ain't Amiga. Commodore died aeons ago. This is a Chinese maker who bought the brand from another company that brought the brand...

Andy Meyer
03-23-2012, 02:06 PM
looks nice. i'm wondering how much noise the new amiga makes, living room suitable?
i think 24/7 rendering would kill the 120W psu. the price is also a no go for render node...

the c64 looks amazing :-)
but wait... C64 with 4gb of ram? it should be named C4194304 (amount of ram in kilobytes) :D

roboman
03-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Ain't Commodore, and ain't Amiga. Commodore died aeons ago. This is a Chinese maker who bought the brand from another company that brought the brand...

Actually it's an American company that licensed the use of the name. I was following them and commented in their forum before they put out any hardware. The only public statements were Amiga was going to be re-released with state of the art hardware. Then later they were going to make an Amiga 500 look alike, but that seems to have been dropped. I would have paid some extra for an Amiga 500 look alike pc. I don't see paying extra for a little cube with a Commodore logo, and a hacked up ver of linux that includes an Amiga os emulator. I don't think the Commodore logo alone has any great value to customers any more

Realistically the Amiga was what it was because of the Copper Graphics Coprocessor, a hardware Blitter, hardware sprites, a sound chip that took pc's more then a decade to match, an OS that also took more then a decade to match and the hardware was one of the nicest platforms ever to write software for. That and it could run Lightwave / Toaster :) Amiga outclassed every thing else, in it's time.

Titus
03-23-2012, 10:50 PM
[QUOTE=roboman;1231336ctually it's an American company that licensed the use of the name. [/QUOTE]

Agreed.

I've read The Rise and fall of Commodore book. It's sad to know after all there was a last Amiga ready for production but no money to make it. It was a dead end.

LW_Will
03-24-2012, 02:37 PM
Wow!

We can have an Amiga!!
'Course, doesn't have a blitter or a copper chips...
no guru meditations...
but it does say "Amiga" on the front of over-sized Mac mini case...

wow... just... wow...