PDA

View Full Version : Budget 2012

RebelHill
03-21-2012, 08:32 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17461121

Way to go Gideon... more please.

rcallicotte
03-21-2012, 09:09 AM
Oh, nice to see someone thinking...but, to quote Oliver, "more [in the U.S.] sir."

gerry_g
03-21-2012, 09:23 AM
yeah but for every Wallace and Gromit there are ten Bob the Builders or worse, not saying it's a bad thing but look how many memorable movies the Lottery fund has given us !

bobakabob
03-21-2012, 10:00 AM
On the surface this is good news and it shows that the UK govt recognise the huge contribution creative industries make to the economy. However, we need to see this in context.

When it comes to the UK Media, Mr Gideon and his Tory mates are weirdly schizophrenic.

What they're doing to creative media education here is an absolute scandal. School and college budgets have been decimated; there's no money for kit, and teachers either had wages frozen, cut or made redundant.

Students fees have trebled - despite the LidDem "pledge" from 3000 to 9000 per annum.

The Tories and their propagandist "newspaper" the Daily Mail constantly refer to Media and Arts as "soft subjects" which has resulted in deterring many UK students applying for training in colleges and universities.

So much for investing in the future. Or Wallace and Gromit for that matter (Nick Parks was a distinguished Sheffield Hallam University student).

PS Sorry if I'm I'm sailing close to the wind regarding the forum rules - but it is a very interesting important subject and does - if indirectly - affect Lightwave.

RebelHill
03-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Im sure that so long as no one starts bashing or flaming particular parties/ideologies Steve'll let a lil bit of political chat slide so long as its referring to policies directly affecting the industries folks on this board work in, tech/media.

Im not sure I agree about the whole tuition fees fiasco... 9Kpa isnt reli taht much compared to a persons increased earning potential as a graduate, and afterall, those fees are NOT paid upfront, and if the education received fails to lead to you receiving an income of 20 odd Kpa then you dont pay anything back at all. I do however agree that after the "pledge" the LDs deserve some discredit (though to be fair they did find themselves between a rock and a hard place)... personally i was far more upset by Cleggs CLEAR and BLATANT disinterest during HMs address to both houses yesterday, but tahts totally something else, and now Im sailing close to the wind, lol.

As for the education in such subjects... I think its a hard one to call. Gove was out month before last touting plans to try and improve technology education in schools, particularly in regard to computer science skills, programming, etc, and there's definate signs that math/science is looking to get a good push forward educationally.

I agree certainly that things have also been taken away, but I do believe that if you add and subtract it all up, the net result IS going to be a better base for this sector overall in terms of both education availability, quality, and, most importantly, job opportunities at the end of it all.

Hope hope.

PS... NT... keep an eye on how these things develop... u might be able to get urselves some nice tax breaks if u open a european office in the UK to, wel... yknow... try and push LW back into increased use in the "old world". ;)

rcallicotte
03-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Oh sorry. Not starting a revolution or anything. :devil:

Seriously, I love Wallace and Gromit, etc. Thinking is oftentimes the deciding difference between what is or isn't quality. And I see less and less of it, when $$ are thrown here (in the U.S. or anywhere) at stuff where thinking is better. The old saying, "It's not what you know, but who you know," is really vomit and we see a lot of that here. I could name a few movies of late [without thinking] that had to be someone knew someone (nephew, nieces, uncles and aunts) rather than someone knew what they were doing. And the result is they flopped.

yeah but for every Wallace and Gromit there are ten Bob the Builders or worse, not saying it's a bad thing but look how many memorable movies the Lottery fund has given us !

OnlineRender
03-21-2012, 10:56 AM
how much went on beer that's all care about ;) to be fair they had the same tax breaks for the games industry and scrapped that after 2 years ... not holding my breath

souzou
03-21-2012, 11:11 AM
The proof will be in the pudding with this. Just a vague announcement so far with no details, other than a consultation and some sort of tax break from April 2013. I wonder just how restrictive the criteria will be. I guess anything is better than nothing though.

The Tories and their propagandist "newspaper" the Daily Mail constantly refer to Media and Arts as "soft subjects" which has resulted in deterring many UK students applying for training in colleges and universities.

So much for investing in the future. Or Wallace and Gromit for that matter (Nick Parks was a distinguished Sheffield Hallam University student).

I really disagree with this, I think we have far too many people doing creative courses in the UK, relative to the jobs that are available. Last year something like 9% of art & design graduates found jobs in their chosen field.

rcallicotte
03-21-2012, 11:23 AM
...and Blender and Linux changed the world forever. Love both of these and the reasoning behind both.

RebelHill
03-21-2012, 11:37 AM
I think we have far too many people doing creative courses in the UK, relative to the jobs that are available. Last year something like 9% of art & design graduates found jobs in their chosen field.

There's something I UTTERLY agree with.

The problem here comes from the earlier years and the fact that when folks do art or design at school or A level, it doesnt matter how poor they are at it, because its art, its ALL valid and no-one has the stones to say "look kid, ur talentless, give it up".

Result, they wind up going to (often a poorer quality) uni, get a worthless degree and then boom... back on the tesco checkout.

At least if they were directed instead to take up something more academic like history, or literature, then it woudnt matter if they made no use of it after graduation as at least it'd show some degree of intellect when they showed up for that interview with goldman sachs.

stiff paper
03-21-2012, 01:02 PM
...I think we have far too many people doing creative courses in the UK...
Yes. This.

...9% of art & design graduates...
To be fair to the employers, that is 7% more than came out of their courses able to do anything useful at all.

About this kind of thing, sort of (although not UK-centric):
http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/
http://vfxsoldier.wordpress.com/