PDA

View Full Version : Just Clothes

rcallicotte
03-20-2012, 01:44 PM
I've been doing all I can to understand Marvelous Designer. But, plain and simple, can I create clothes for specific characters which can then be imported into Lightwave to fit on these characters so I can do animations in Lightwave with characters with clothes? Just clothes...for LW characters without importing animations from other programs.

silviotoledo
03-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Yeah. Marvelous exports MDD and imports Collada.

Simulation is good, realtime and you can use it with lightwave.

Didn't try yet, but saw several samples from messiah and Lightwave using marvelous.

http://vimeo.com/23518771

See all tom K videos to understand the process

rcallicotte
03-20-2012, 06:47 PM
Silvio, I've been seeing these videos, but why would I not want just an object I could import into LW from Marvelous Designer and put cloth effects onto it? Or maybe that is possible. Do you know?

Surrealist.
03-20-2012, 11:28 PM
Well you have to go about it technically differently in Lightwave for cloth. And one of the biggest advantages to MD is the great cloth solver. So your workflow is best going to be through .mdd out of of MD. Have not really done it myself, but I understand it works.

For cloth in LightWave you would likely deform (with cloth modifier and collisions) a mesh that you use as a cage with metalink on the actual cloth final object. (pockets and seams) But that workflow has limitations. Arms and legs would have to be separate cloth/cage objects. The metalink weighing is not intended for something that complex.

rcallicotte
03-21-2012, 07:03 AM
Richard, you're right. I didn't know until last night when Tom on the MD2 forums basically explained the workflow -

1. MDD out of Lightwave
2. Create cloth effect in MD
3. Export out of MDD for LW
4. Import into LW

Surrealist.
03-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Right. That makes the most sense.

Surrealist.
03-26-2012, 02:25 AM
For cloth in LightWave you would likely deform (with cloth modifier and collisions) a mesh that you use as a cage with metalink on the actual cloth final object. (pockets and seams) But that workflow has limitations. Arms and legs would have to be separate cloth/cage objects. The metalink weighing is not intended for something that complex.

Actually, I was basing this on some erroneous tests. It is actually possible to do this with some limitations. It is not likely to be perfect, but as long as the arms are initially separated from the body T stance, it should work OK. Still working on tests for the legs but in theory is should be the same.

The Metaink deformer must have some kind of proximity weight. If a point gets within this range is is considered and if it falls outside of this range is it not. But this seems to be calculated from the initial rest state. So it works even if in the animation the points cross over (arms down etc).

rcallicotte
03-26-2012, 05:50 AM
I'm planning to try this and hope for all the tools we need to have clothes. This could change everything in animation.

Actually, I was basing this on some erroneous tests. It is actually possible to do this with some limitations. It is not likely to be perfect, but as long as the arms are initially separated from the body T stance, it should work OK. Still working on tests for the legs but in theory is should be the same.

The Metaink deformer must have some kind of proximity weight. If a point gets within this range is is considered and if it falls outside of this range is it not. But this seems to be calculated from the initial rest state. So it works even if in the animation the points cross over (arms down etc).

Surrealist.
03-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Here is a proof of concept:

http://vimeo.com/39238696

Nice thing about this workfklow is once you do the sim done. You can use any cloth object and make as many changes to it as needed - other than the basic shape of course. But you can add details and change them and so on without having to touch the simulation.

rcallicotte
03-26-2012, 08:47 PM
OMG. I'm completely paying attention now.

As soon as I finish this GI tutorial by RH, I'll be all over this. Thanks so much.

Dodgy
03-26-2012, 10:41 PM
This is the way you should do all cloth sims. Use a low poly proxy to do the sim on, and then have a high poly render mesh. That way you can alter the low poly mesh depending on circumstance.

Polys not colliding in a certain spot? Cut some more polys into the mesh at that point.

Need to add some buttons? No need to rerun the simulation, just add them to the high poly mesh.

Most problems I see people complaining about are people trying to do cloth sims on their high poly objects when they should be using a proxy and metalink.

Surrealist.
03-26-2012, 11:32 PM
OMG. I'm completely paying attention now.

As soon as I finish this GI tutorial by RH, I'll be all over this. Thanks so much.

You are quite welcome. And when you are done there and ready to work on the cloth. I think you'll have all the info you need in the links here:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=115743

Julez4001
03-28-2012, 03:11 PM
Yeah. Marvelous exports MDD and imports Collada.

Simulation is good, realtime and you can use it with lightwave.

Didn't try yet, but saw several samples from messiah and Lightwave using marvelous.

http://vimeo.com/23518771

See all tom K videos to understand the process

How did he get the messiah animation into Marveleous?

Surrealist.
03-28-2012, 07:02 PM
Messiah has an Mdd export. You want to know where it is found.? A real logical place. Whenever I am learning a new application and I want to find out where importing and exporting is I always look in the Customize Tab. Because this is where I will be making changes to things like the interface and so on. And of course, in Messiah, because it is so special and eccentric, it is also where you will find Motion Dump and Save Morph Sequence. And if you happen to run into this in the manual:

http://www.eggswhyzed.com/messiah_docs/

You be even more comforted to find that mdd is not mentioned in Motion Dump. Because after all this is the logical place to look at this point. And you know you don't want to save a Morph sequence. That would generate a bunch of objects. And its OK because it is not mentioned there either anyway.

In fact the manual is very helpful in assuring you have not come to the right place in showing you the formats available for a morph sequence:

Object Format: The object sequence can be saved in any recognized format. Current choices are:
As Loaded: Saves to the same format as the original object itself.
LightWave Object: Saves in the LightWave 5.x format.
LightWave 6 Object: Saves in the LightWave 6 format.

So where oh where could it be? If Google is not your friend in this case, and you are feeling adventurous you can always poke around the interface, but don't go to the Customize Tab because you already know it is not there. So instead, spend another hour searching and by chance accidentally inter the Compromise Tab, select Generate Morph Sequence and accidentally notice that mdd is at the top of the list of formats. :D

So whatever you do, don't feel stupid for not knowing. :hey:

From there follow the steps in the post above or go to the MD website to find further help in importing mdd. Which is apparently the way it is done.