PDA

View Full Version : Money To Burn - Help me decide on additional 3d Software

icelandicstorm
03-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the forum. I have some money ready to purchase software that would be a part of my toolkit.

I already own the following:

LW 10
Adobe CS5
Corel Painter 11

I'm thinking of:

Sketchup Pro
Vue Complete Architectural Bundle
Lumen RT (not sure if this is premature)
ZBrush

I have the budget to buy all of the items on the list, but I also want to spend my money in an optimal way as I build my toolkit. If you have any other suggestions, I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

djwaterman
03-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Well probably Z-brush for a start. Look into AELink as well for After effects (links Lightwave camera and motions). Hey look at Kray since you seem to want to do Archvis. I'll stop at that.

RebelHill
03-20-2012, 11:50 AM
what do u want to do??

from ur list it seems primarily arch viz.

geo_n
03-20-2012, 12:02 PM
kray, lwcad, rhiggit. For me they're must have now.

rednova
03-20-2012, 02:02 PM
Did you know, that you can get a free version of Vue in one
of the latest 3dworld or 3dartist magazine ?
is not only free, but is also very good. Then you can save
the money for the other software.
Cheers !!!

rednova

UnCommonGrafx
03-20-2012, 02:16 PM
I would look at lwcad.

I WOULD buy ZBrush.
Sketchup, I would buy, If I were a cadder.

Vue Could be fun.

ZB is the no-brainer on the list.

Wade
03-20-2012, 03:21 PM
what do u want to do??

from ur list it seems primarily arch viz.

This is a great question - What are you going to be doing with your set up?
Hard to tell you anything unless it is known what is to be done with the software... :)

Wade

zapper1998
03-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Z-Brush

bobakabob
03-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Zbrush and Lightwave are a great combination for character work and LW Cad essential for architecture. Why not upgrade to LW11 to enjoy the faster open gl and VPR?

Philbert
03-20-2012, 03:57 PM
You should look at 3D-Coat. Save some of that money and get a great sculpting / texturing / retopo product at the same time.

http://3d-coat.com

Dexter2999
03-20-2012, 04:10 PM
LW 11
Janus
EXRTrader
TrueArt tools
LWCAD

calilifestyle
03-20-2012, 04:20 PM
I would buy http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Titans/ELDAR-PHANTOM-TITAN-BODY.html

always wanted one. lol

Surrealist.
03-20-2012, 04:38 PM
Zbrush

JonW
03-20-2012, 05:43 PM
If you are doing architectural stuff LWCad is great.

Onyxtree (Garden Suite) the software is a bit clunky & takes a bit to get good at making trees but it's quite good overall.

30" monitor? I know it's not software but it does make life easier!

speismonqui
03-20-2012, 05:55 PM
you can give me some of your money to buy and test a few software packages and I'll get back to you :hey:

Elmar Moelzer
03-20-2012, 09:49 PM
LightWave11 is an absolute must have if you dont have it yet.

If you have not seen it yet, take a look at our new low cost VoluMedic CE.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=126454

LWCad is really good too and definitely worth a look. I would also take a look at Turbulence FD.

icelandicstorm
03-20-2012, 10:31 PM
Areas of interest:

Children's book style illustrations (Curious George/Run Spot Run style), matte painting, photo manipulation, landscape photos for digital oil painting, pencil sketching, stop motion animation (United Airlines commercials from last year / Cold medicine commercial from Spanish CG artist, both found on Dragon Stop Motion website).

Reasons for each software in my list:

Sketchup - transform quick pencil sketches into buildings / structures for use in above.

ZBrush - creation of characters (or any object) for use in above.

Architectural bundle from Vue - I'm not an architect, but the bundle made sense if I'm going to buy Sketchup. I would use this to transform the basic Sketchup illustration appearance to a photo realistic result for further manipulation in photoshop/painter.

LumenRT - unsure on this one. May not need to purchase at this time as the above 3 should give me more than enough to work with.

In conclusion, mostly, digital oil painting, pencil sketching, photo manipulation and stop motion animation.

bazsa73
03-20-2012, 11:54 PM
If you do lots of illustration then I would say zbrush is your buddy. Imho.

icelandicstorm
03-21-2012, 04:07 PM
I would buy http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Titans/ELDAR-PHANTOM-TITAN-BODY.html

always wanted one. lol

Wow, I went to take a look and I believe I'm in the wrong profession! My real job is information security, and while it pays very well, I had no idea that game characters could cost so much.

icelandicstorm
03-21-2012, 04:25 PM
I think at least 4 people mentioned LW11. I just bought it. I have more reviews to do before my next purchase. I'll close out the thread with the remaining software I bought in the next few days.

Thanks to all for taking a moment to help!

calilifestyle
03-21-2012, 04:45 PM
yeah the forgeworld models are expensive. http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/TAU-MANTA.html This one i believe is the most expensive of them all. But again it's one of the biggest they make.

Andrewstopheles
03-21-2012, 05:28 PM
LW11 upgrade for sure
LWCAD for sure
ZBrush or 3D Coat (I found 3D Coat easier to use)
Everything else after that is gravy.