PDA

View Full Version : Merge light-caches

dulo
03-20-2012, 05:58 AM
It would be cool and quite simple to implement, to be able to merge multiple lightcaches. With a tool like this one could bake lightcaches on multiple machines and afterwards merge the caches to one with better quality.
Even screamernet support would be thinkable.
Is there somewhere a description of the lightcache format ?
I could quickly code a simple program for testing.
In houdini the cache files are more or less just simple object files with vertices and attributes on them, which is quite handy for tweaking and debugging.

What are you opinions ??

dulo
03-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Wow .. nobody interested in Point-Cloud tools for baked GI ..
I thought i would not be the only one in need for distibuted GI calculation.
Everything is in place. The only thing missing would be this merge tool or some conversion tool to make the merge in some other program...

Dexter2999
03-22-2012, 01:58 PM
I'm not sure I understand how a "merge" would work. The cache is basically a banked value that is the end result of a more complex calculation of how GI reacts to the elements in a scene. I don't see how you can simply combine the results of two such computations and get a realistic result. I don't think it is as simple as "just" adding them together. I would think that denominators in one computation would necessarily effect the secondary computations.

Or maybe I am just looking at this wrong.

dulo
03-23-2012, 03:07 AM
The cache is just a cloud of points with attached attributes ( backed light values ( think of it like colored vertices )) .. and of course you could merge those point clouds to get a more dense one .. I do this quite often in Houdini to fix certain problems or to distribute the lighting calculations.
I you can get those pointcloud into other applications ( modeler, houdini, etc .. ) you could even fix certain problems like light leaks with simple scripts ..

stiff paper
04-13-2012, 07:31 AM
Wow .. nobody interested in Point-Cloud tools for baked GI ..
Only just found this thread, and even then only because I wanted to post something similar. I don't think it's that nobody is interested, I think it's more that nobody ever looks in here...

I'm not sure I understand how a "merge" would work.
VRay has a trick/method for reducing GI burbling/flickering involving merging:
http://www.workshop.mintviz.com/tutorials/flicker-free-animation-using-vray/

It would be very useful indeed if something similar could be added to the LW render engine.

dulo
04-13-2012, 10:09 AM
As stated before I didnt find any documentation on the .cache format. With some documentation I could write a simple tool for the free houdini NC version to merge/manipulate cache files...

stiff paper
04-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Short of point blank asking NewTek for the info, I don't know what else to suggest.

I'm living in hope that they're working on this kind of stuff anyway.

dulo
04-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Short of point blank asking NewTek for the info, I don't know what else to suggest.

I'm living in hope that they're working on this kind of stuff anyway.
It would be logical that they are. All in all rendering is the last real stronghold of lightwave and they should try not to loose this one too ..