PDA

View Full Version : Same texture on multiple reoriented objects?

macahuna
03-19-2012, 04:14 PM
I've got a simple AA battery with graphics applied. I happened to use Cylindrical projection, and got everything to look just hunky dunky. Then I had to add two more (the three happen to be standing upright), and after much fooling around, I got the images mapped correctly. But now I'm trying to lie one down and rotate it on the X axis so it's at a slight angle to the camera, lying flat on the floor.

Graphics don't copy over without seemingly hours of fooling around with rotation, position and so on. If I need to move it around just a little bit, it seems like starting from scratch.

What's the secret to applying graphics to an object and then just copying that object and having your way with it - no extra steps?

Sensei
03-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Sounds like you're using World coordinate space. But you should use Object coordinate space.
Or better, make uv map.

Snosrap
03-19-2012, 05:04 PM
A lot of users set up their scenes in Modeler, if you do that you will pretty much need to UV map all your surfaces. I prefer to setup my scenes in Layout, that way I can use simple planar etc. mapping and when I move those objects around in my scene they stay put. Don't get me wrong, I UV map plenty of objects, but mostly for objects that don't map well with the non UV options. In your case with the batteries just make and map one model and bring it into Layout and clone as many as you want
of them and move them around where you want them. Super easy.

macahuna
03-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

jeric_synergy
03-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Do NOT set up in Modeler. Bring into Layout and manipulate there, then the textures will 'stick'.