PDA

View Full Version : One Victorian house & a really long render

cathuria
10-21-2003, 03:10 PM
This is a little "treat" I gave my self for working hard all summer; those Dover books are such a great source of inspiration...
The basic house, including doors & windows, was only about 16K poly's; but when I got done adding all the Victorian nurnies, it was about 130K.

And then shot with 2-bounce Monte Carlo HDRI radiosity. Yup, it took a good darn long time to render, but it was worth it:D

I'm undecided about whether to properly surface this, or just leave it "naked"...

Matt
10-21-2003, 03:25 PM
You know, I quite like renders 'naked' like this! How long did it take to render?

hrgiger
10-21-2003, 05:23 PM
I know it's overdone, but I really like a well done radiosity skydome rendering. There's a lot of crappy ones out there but this isn't one of them.

Looks great but eventually, I would like to see the textured house. Good job.

Kuzey
10-21-2003, 06:27 PM
This is so cool!!!

Great work.

Kuzey

cathuria
10-21-2003, 09:43 PM
Thanks, folks!

For those of you keeping track of radiosity indulgence -- the original image was set to render at 1600 pixels with high AA; after checking the times on miniaturized test renders, I decided this was a job for my "Render Farm" (a little used laptop sitting on the shelf); with 2-bounce Monte Carlo and 130K poly's on a 1.6 gig machine with 512 megs of RAM, the stalwart little trooper cranked for a grand 237 hours....wheeze

But I still think it was worth it:D

stib
10-21-2003, 10:56 PM
I like th atmosphere it creates. The only thing that troubles me is the funny reflection in the attic windows. Looks like your sky dome maybe..

apex
10-22-2003, 04:42 AM
:eek: 237 hours :eek:
OMG. Thats insane (no offense)

Nice model and a really good-clean render. Definitely would love to see a texture render. I know Monte at high AA can be great but
...wow. I thought I was patient with an 18 hour render. I've cut down my render times significantly by using backdrop radiosity, an area light or two for bounces, 4x12max and rendering at lowAA but a larger size and reduce in PS. Do you have another computer to work on while this was rendering? Still... nice work :cool:

cathuria
10-22-2003, 08:34 AM
stib: Just as an experiment, I set the HDRI I was using as a reflection map for the windows. I kind of like the effect, myself, but I agree it would look better if the effect had shown up more on the lower floor windows as well.

apex: Yes, I have a lot of tricks that can reduce radiosity times, but... my little laptop wasn't doing anything else for 10 days, and as long as I have an extra machine to run such indulgent renders on, I don't see why I should worry much about over-long render times. I wanted to see what would come of it if I cranked the settings to maximum -- perhaps I could get as good results in less time by applying a few shortcuts, perhaps not -- but the only thing that matters is that I got a really good pic out of it, and all it cost me was a little patience.

I'm not much into animation or real-time game rendering, my main focus is still images, and it took me a while to realize that I got better results when I just forgot all that hullabaloo about keeping my poly count low and keeping render times to a reasonable limit. If it takes a bazillion poly's and a week of rendering to get the results you want, just do it.:)

apex
10-23-2003, 04:35 AM
I gotcha. I should have read your previous post a little better, in which it states that you used a laptop:o , my bad. I totally agree with you about forget the poly-count and do what produces the best. I to have no involvement with animation but I feel something creeping up eventually.

Matt
10-23-2003, 05:52 AM
:eek: Holy sheet! 237 hours!!!

NewTek sort those render times out and give his poor laptop a rest!!!

:)

ravantra
10-23-2003, 08:41 AM
I am glad to see someone not worry about rendering time. You have me beat by a mile. My longest render time is 80 hours. I have since spent a lot of time "tweaking" my renderings to lower my rendering times significantly. I wish I had the luxury you have in your work.......Love the model...Great work

crusader
10-23-2003, 09:13 AM
wow, really good.
How did you make the light shining so real ?
Every time when i try to render my blank model looks like.....a 3d modell, but not like a piece of olatic like your house.

Please, write a short summary, what otions you used and what kind of light/how many light sources.

cathuria
10-23-2003, 09:39 PM
Crusader: the lighting is extremely simple (if not exactly quick to render). It's pure HDR illumination -- that is, use an HDR lightprobe image applied to ImageWorld, turn off the default light (I keep it set on only for "Affect GL" just so I can see what I'm doing in Layout), and turn on radiosity (to whatever settings you can stomach); turn ambient down to around 2 to 4% (it helps fill out the radiosity illumination).
Then wait...:)

hrgiger
10-24-2003, 06:56 AM
Surely Newtek can come up wtih a better radiosity solution, even at maximum setting that would take less then 237 hours? I know, I'm doing a radiosity render right now that I started last night around 11:00pm and it's now 9:00AM and I'm on pass 2/5.:eek: It's an interior so I really want the bounces and I'm hardly on maximum settings...
Oh well, I think in a few more to several more years when radiosity rendering is done in seconds, we'll all look back at this and laugh...

EDIT: Or cry.

Alex Rooth
10-25-2003, 03:32 AM
Hi Cathuria

Very nice render, but could you get a similar result quicker? I note your point about not being concerned about render times and polygon count, but it would be interesting to know whether you have been able to get similar results with less time. The reason I ask is because I am doing an HDRI render at the moment. On the basic default settings (4X6, AA low) it takes about 10 hours but I have now cranked the settings up a notch. It has been going all night and all this morning (UK time) and I am wondering about ways to get quicker results with no degradation in quality. For me, anything that has to render more than one night is impractical.

Alex

Alex Rooth
10-25-2003, 08:37 AM
Well, I just got the results of the render - it took 15.5 hours for 5 X15 whereas it took about ten hours for 4X12. Importantly, there is no discernible improvement in quality so I will be sticking to 4X12 which looks pretty nice actually.

Alex

cathuria
10-25-2003, 09:11 AM
Alex: I have used the interpolated+motion blur technique to achieve radiosity results in much less time, but the utility of it seems to be dependent upon the scene. It works very well with skydome illumination and objects with fewer shadowed areas.

I attempted it on this house, but with HDRI illumination and this particular object, the results... well, they sucked.
So it was off to Monte Carlo.

Alex Rooth
10-27-2003, 12:44 AM
Thanks Cathuria.