PDA

View Full Version : Eames lounge chair

Mitja
03-19-2012, 05:05 AM
Hi! I did this as an exercise some time ago. As some of you may see, I took "inspiration" from Alex Roman... I hope this is not wrong.
I just wanted to see what can I achieve, comparing to vray stuff.
Now I want to hear from you what do you think, and thanks in advance for any constructive feedback!

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=102777&stc=1&d=1332154942

skype6
03-19-2012, 07:48 AM
Realy nice render and scene! Like the dof on the second picture! Somehow that "flares" on the lamp is strange, because I think that this lamp gives dispersion light, if I am not mistaken...all in all, I like it:)

Iain
03-19-2012, 08:29 AM
I actually own that very chair :)
The close up looks great.

Nice scene overall but how do you stretch your feet over to the ottoman? :hey:

Danner
03-19-2012, 12:26 PM
I actually own that very chair :)
The close up looks great.

Nice scene overall but how do you stretch your feet over to the ottoman? :hey:

It's Shaquille O'neal's living room =P

Seriously, it's a very nice render, the leather is perfect.

Mitja
03-20-2012, 01:59 AM
Thanks guys! Actually I didn't bother who would lay down his big fat *** ;) on this chair... I bet only the Shaq could reach the ottoman indeed! hahaa
Jokes apart, I was impressed by the short "The third and the seventh" so I took this sort of challenge. Check the original: http://www.thirdseventh.com/index.php?/thirdseven/furniture/

inakito
03-20-2012, 06:59 AM
Great stuff man! Can you tell us more about how did you get it done? Kray or Lightwave, what kind of postproduction, etc...
The results ae really good and textures are great,
Congratulations!

Pavlov
03-20-2012, 07:25 AM
yes, very good. maybe not as "crisp" as some Vray's pics but yet very good.
Can you share a bit about techs ? LW/KRay, kind of post, etc

thanks,
Paolo

biliousfrog
03-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Very nice indeed.

If I could offer a constructive criticism, I'd say that the chair's padding is too symmetrical. I'd adjust the creases and button positions slightly so that it doesn't look perfectly mirrored...aside from that, brilliant

Mitja
03-21-2012, 03:15 AM
Thanks for commenting!
See the attached raw render. To get the same look I had to do some "heavy" post processing. I'm fairly sure that Alex Roman did the same, even if he rendered his image with vray (just look at his work breakdown), so the beauty or aka magic of his works it's mostly because of the post he had done, not only because of vray (as many would say, btw).
As you can see by the raw render it's just lw. I don't use kray.
For post I used just PS, no photo looks or other stuff like that, I developed my own workflow with regular tools and I'm pretty happy with it, you know contrast, color correction, "custom vignetting" and this kind of things.
@Pavlov - sure I can't match vray's sharpness, but with lw I can't use the lanczos rec filter, it tends to get very bad aa very often. I could have sharpened the image more in post, but I chosed not to. And speaking of sharpness, I see some/many images from Kray, the topnotch ones, that are so harp that there is plenty of jagged edged all over the image (I could show an example if you want). This is not a critic to Kray, just to say that sharpenss is not something you always want and some may exhaggerate pursuing it. What do you think about this discorso?
@biliousfrog - tha model is far from being perfect as the ones you may find on evermotion, I just serched the net and found this one that was good, above the average, just modifyed a bit and re-uvmapped. But you got a good point, I'll keep that in mind next time!

biliousfrog
03-21-2012, 03:40 AM
I'm fairly positive that Alex Roman used Magic Bullet's Looks, I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Mitja
03-21-2012, 03:49 AM
I'm fairly positive that Alex Roman used Magic Bullet's Looks, I'm sure I read that somewhere.

He used Looks, it's there in one video of his. My point was he did some heavy post, the how is another science. :thumbsup:

Iain
03-21-2012, 11:08 AM
I'd have to chip in that of all Alex Roman's stuff, that image is one of his least impressive. Bokeh effect apart it leaves me a bit cold.
The food renders he's done lately are just stunning. In fact everything he does is stunning and I'm sure he could get amazing results no matter what engine he used.

Anyway, if you want some practical pointers, the wood on the real Eames Lounge and Ottoman is actually a pretty dull veneer with not very much reflection and the edges are ply layers. Quite difficult to texture after the model is done as it needs a UV map.
My replica is quite accurate in that respect.......

Mitja
03-22-2012, 02:31 AM
With lately you mean one year ago? That kitchen commercial isn't it?
I didn't notice that detail on the edges, I have just a photo of the actual chair, didn't see. It's totally easier when you have the real thing in the living room... ;)
Some day I would like to buy one, but they seem kinda expencive... we'll see.

Iain
03-22-2012, 02:55 AM
Yes he's not the most prolific of artist!

You can get copies of the Eames stuff pretty cheaply these days. Originals are horribly expensive and licensed replicas are pricey too but to make an unlicensed replica you just change the design of the feet a little.

Milan Direct are selling decent versions for 399 in their sale right now...............

http://www.milandirect.co.uk/shop/category/eames-furniture-replica/

(The cheapest one was 259 for a while but it's imitation leather so I'd steer clear even at that price!)

biliousfrog
03-22-2012, 04:19 AM
He used Looks, it's there in one video of his. My point was he did some heavy post, the how is another science. :thumbsup:

Honestly, if you render to a float format and the lighting/surfacing is good, Looks will add the extra sparkle just by loading one of the included presets. Even adding a simple film curve can make a huge difference. I'm not saying that grading isn't an art but Looks' presets are very usable and I'd be surprised if he didn't just tweak one of them slightly.

MDSPECIFIC
03-22-2012, 10:02 AM
I like your final graded result!
Scene and chair renders are very good!

I'm not vignetting fan, but here it gives some extra ambience effect.
Look's like lamp lens flare, secondary flare, is not accurate, it should be going up, opposite direction from the lens (image) center.

Another tip, if you want to reduce post grading you should put lights at right places in your scene, adjust color, intensity and falloffs. That way you can achieve better, natural feel for light dispersion in your render, same time you will avoid massive post work which is always more or less unnatural, or massive vignetting like in this case.

Glass, I think with less reflection will be better.

Your window is smaller. :D

Ok, now you can stop coping the others. ;)
Imagine your new original scene, make renders.
When you think your done, always go back and put some imperfection to your model, texture, object position, camera angle etc.
Put your renders here, on other cg-sites and be famous LW artist! :thumbsup:

Mitja
03-23-2012, 02:17 AM
I tryed to get the same look of the original, but it's kinda hard to achieve exactly the same lighting when you don't know the original light positions. Anyway, in my scene there are 4 lights. At the beginning I wanted to get the same look without post processing too, but post processing isn't bad, there's nothing wrong to play with your renders. For these images I lost in total 20 minutes for doing the post, not that much. Not massive, but rather heavy post work! ;)
And one day, maybe, I'll become an artist and hopefully even famous! But the journey is still long! Thanks for pointing out the reflections, seems like this is something I do wrong very often.

abdelkarim
04-04-2012, 03:47 AM
awesome and good render and tonemap to :D .

abdelkarim
07-26-2012, 11:59 PM
Can I do re model this scn ? im sure and iknow i will do render best and better then alex roman :D

milivoj_popovic
07-27-2012, 04:58 AM
awesome!

Mitja
08-02-2012, 12:46 AM
Thanks, I appreciate!!!