PDA

View Full Version : Another 3D world LW Tutorial

djwaterman
03-19-2012, 02:55 AM
Someone just showed me a tutorial for Lightwave in the March 1st issue of 3D World. It's a character modelling, texturing and rendering tutorial by Seth Watkins and runs 6 pages. This is the issue before the one that is out at the moment. Anyway, just wanted to share the news because we see not much LW in that mag.

It's also a really classy piece of work and showing off Fiber FX. You would not feel ashamed, cool design and render.

rcallicotte
03-19-2012, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll try to check this out.

silviotoledo
03-19-2012, 07:31 AM
only on printed version?

found this online:

http://www.3dworldmag.com/search/lightwave

djwaterman
03-19-2012, 08:39 AM
Yeah, I couldn't find it on the website either, but I eyeballed it in the mag this afternoon. I'm going to see if I can find a copy on the shelves tomorrow.

jasonwestmas
03-19-2012, 09:04 AM
What's the subject matter for that March 1st tutorial? I mean what kind of characters are in the render, not what are the tools used.

djwaterman
03-19-2012, 09:06 PM
It's a highly stylized, non-Disney character of a, okay here's the description the artist gives-"Newt's a roadie by trade, a bit of an armchair revolutionary, sarcastic in his humour, spends too much time in the pub and has a difficult relationship with Jeremy Clarkson."

Visually a red haired scruff, middle aged hippy type with skinny legs and fat beer gut that hangs out from under his green "EAT THE RICH" T-shirt. His ape-like arms have a light covering of red hair and he is accessorized with an trad wristwatch, key-chain hanging from (unseen on account of gut) belt and a "We are the 99%" badge.

His head is designed to look like a paper cut-out model but everything else is proper textures. If I saw it in a magazine I'd assume it was a real model set up and lit in studio.

The issue itself is the one that has a cover picture of a girl wearing white sitting in a photographic studio while being lit with studio lights.