PDA

View Full Version : Subpatching question.

Samoht VII
03-19-2012, 12:41 AM
I was modelling a head the other day and wa working in subpatch mode and after a while i switched back to the poly view (Whatever it's called) and noticed alot of my poly's where inside other polys and some polys where invisible and the whole thing was a huge mess, but in subpatch mode it smooths out and looks fine. Should I worry that without it being subpatched it looks terrible with missing polys etc or does it not matter?

Thanks

meshpig
03-19-2012, 02:04 AM
There are some operations which you can't do in subpatch mode ie.
"adding edges" is painfully slow and not very coherent since edges are displaced when subpatched.

If the mesh is so incoherent that you can't select and move faces it's really only a problem if you want to keep adding detail. It's a good idea to model faces and keep abreast of subpatching rather than the other way around.

djwaterman
03-19-2012, 02:18 AM
You have noticed something that a lot of people will ignore. But here's the secret, you should always swap back and forth to few the raw polygons un-smoothed, and if things look confused, go in and try to un-kink them, I call it house-keeping or clean up, but you will find that if you can get the raw polygon version looking nicer then the smoothed version will also suddenly look a lot better.

It will also deform and animate better.

Doing this kind of micro clean up will teach you a lot about Sub-D's and what makes them work the way they do. It took me a long time of blindly warping smoothed meshes about before I realized that you need to look at what your mesh is really doing (raw poly mode) and also get that looking good. I consider it a secret because no one told me about it.

Sensei
03-19-2012, 03:10 AM
I was modelling a head the other day and wa working in subpatch mode and after a while i switched back to the poly view (Whatever it's called) and noticed alot of my poly's where inside other polys and some polys where invisible and the whole thing was a huge mess, but in subpatch mode it smooths out and looks fine.

Too little polygons to too extreme curve..

SwiftEdgeLoop has special mode where it preserves mesh curvature while making loops. It would help you a lot to add geometry where it's needed, without changing overall shape.
http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/SwiftEdgeLoop

Should I worry that without it being subpatched it looks terrible with missing polys etc or does it not matter?

That depends what for object is made.

stiff paper
03-20-2012, 03:04 PM
If you plan on making any morph targets for your object (and as it's a head you probably will do if you go on to animate it) then the messy un-subd object can cause real problems when you go between one morph target and the next.

The reason for this is that although the head looks fine when it's subd, some of the points aren't where they really look like they are, and so when they travel to their position in a new morph target, they travel along an unexpected path/line and the animation doesn't look how you expect it to.

Surrealist.
03-20-2012, 07:35 PM
I was modelling a head the other day and wa working in subpatch mode and after a while i switched back to the poly view (Whatever it's called) and noticed alot of my poly's where inside other polys and some polys where invisible and the whole thing was a huge mess, but in subpatch mode it smooths out and looks fine. Should I worry that without it being subpatched it looks terrible with missing polys etc or does it not matter?

Thanks

Well it really does matter. I usually don't model with subpatch turned on. Think of subpatch modeling as creating a base shape that is close to the shape it will be. It does not have to be dense. But enough geometry to hold the shape and the control loops in the places needed to keep the things tight where they need to be, such as around the eye lids and lips.

If you use a good polyflow that follows the contours it is easy to do this and keep the geometry reasonably economical.