PDA

View Full Version : Bitmap orientation if map cylindrical along Z ?

madno
03-18-2012, 10:17 AM
I made a cylinder object in Modeler
- brought it into Layout
- put a bitmap on it
- with cylindrical mapping along the Z axis.

I expected that the bitmap would be taken as it is and wrapped around the cylinder. But as I interpret the result, there seems to be a 90 degree rotation involved in the mapping.
Of course I could just rotate the source bitmap.
But before doing that, I like to ask, where I am wrong with my expectation of the image rotation.

RebelHill
03-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Look at your own red arrows... its correct.

Z axis mapping... top of image goes toward Z+, bottom to Z-. Projection is ALONG the axis specified... not AROUND it.

You need to rotate the image itself (like in photoshop) by 90 deg

madno
03-18-2012, 04:44 PM
RebelHill,
I am not a native speaker, so its difficult for me to explain in English. As I observred it, an image loaded into LW is considered by LW to be Y (V) +/- in its height and x +/- (U) in its widths. This means, if its purpose is to be mapped around the Z axis it must be rotated accodingly?!

By the way, your tutorial about how to set GI (the free one as an intro for flicker free animating) was worth every second watching it (the same is true for the one about unified sampling). Thanks for those.

(Scaling of the image is not yet adjusted. I think, I should make a uv map for the "plates" instead of letting the bitmapt just freely wrap around the geometry).