PDA

View Full Version : Journey of the New iPad (iPad 3)

precedia
03-17-2012, 11:13 PM
I was lucky enough to have won the Apple delivery lottery and a new iPad (iPad 3) arrived yesterday on my doorstep (no waiting, no lines, just a UPS drop-off at my front door). From Shenzhen, China (March 10) to Aptos, California (March 16).

The Retina display at 2048x1536 is stunning.

I fired up LightWave 11 to render some of the LightWave content scenes at 2048x1536 and pushed them to the iPad; images are attached. If you don't have access to the new iPad try to imagine these 2048x1536 images displayed on a 9.7" (3.8 cm) sheet of glass. They are spectacular. A quick two finger pinch and you're looking at finer detail.

I rendered some animations at 2048x1536 but so far I have been unable to make iTunes sync them properly to the new iPad. There seems to be a size restriction on movies. I really wanted to stress the new A5X chip and the Retina display for animations but it'll have to wait. My 8 core Mac Pro had difficulty playing back a 2048x1536 H.264 encoded animation (in high quality) but could handle playback in medium quality; looked beautiful on a 30" Apple cinema display. Sadly I couldn't test it on the new iPad.

For anyone in the image generation business (3D, photography) who needs to interact with potential clients, existing clients, or just showing off your portfolio, there appears to be nothing better in a portable format than the new iPad.

The two photos of the new iPad displaying the 2048x1536 images can't possibly do it justice, but I included them anyways.

Two thumbs up.

50one
03-18-2012, 04:34 AM
Seriously?i'm on iPad 2 still- bought it 4 months ago, don't see any real reason to buy ipad3, it's just a expensive picture frame with the wow factor for the potential clients "oh look, he has an iPad / apple, he must be awesome;)" For showcasing your work, iPad 2 or first gen is sufficient, don't see any point in spending so much for bigger res.

My next tablet will be anything with android, or anything that has USB port, hdmi port or can connect with every device without the need of that friggin iTunes.

JohnMarchant
03-18-2012, 05:05 AM
Seriously?i'm on iPad 2 still- bought it 4 months ago, don't see any real reason to buy ipad3, it's just a expensive picture frame with the wow factor for the potential clients "oh look, he has an iPad / apple, he must be awesome;)" For showcasing your work, iPad 2 or first gen is sufficient, don't see any point in spending so much for bigger res.

My next tablet will be anything with android, or anything that has USB port, hdmi port or can connect with every device without the need of that friggin iTunes.

I have iPad 2 64gb and got to say i agree with your comments. Whilst they are very nice, the limitations on connectivity, not being able to upload docs to websites,no expansion and yes bloody iTunes, mean i wont get another one.

They are far to expensive for what they are, yes we know most apple products are, but for the price of my iPad you can get a very good laptop, which has none of these restrictions. Hell for a few hundred pounds more you could get a new Apple Laptop.

Whilst i like Apple styling and allot of the build quality, they are still very expensive for what they do.

Having said all of this my next purchase will probably be a MacBook Pro 17 inch, they are good machines and with bootcamp can get Mac and Windows desktop, so whats not to like.

realgray
03-18-2012, 05:14 AM
I guess it comes down to what you want to do with it. I enjoy watching anything from tutorials to great vimeo videos anywhere(car/bus/plane) outside my office. Reading tweets/emails and staying connected to family and friends while watching tv is cool. Browsing gallerys, PDF manuals etc. etc. I know you can do this with a laptop but the Ipad for me feels lighter/lower impact. All this before I even get to the specific apps that I enjoy. Just giving voice to the other side of it :D

JohnMarchant
03-18-2012, 05:25 AM
I guess it comes down to what you want to do with it. I enjoy watching anything from tutorials to great vimeo videos anywhere(car/bus/plane) outside my office. Reading tweets/emails and staying connected to family and friends while watching tv is cool. Browsing gallerys, PDF manuals etc. etc. I know you can do this with a laptop but the Ipad for me feels lighter/lower impact. All this before I even get to the specific apps that I enjoy. Just giving voice to the other side of it :D

Agree mate, that's why i got it and it fulfils those very needs and well. I got it because it was small,light and mobile, yes there are some very good apps on it, regularly use Avid Studio and PS Touch and quite a few others.

As you said its what you want to do with it and for that its great but the little frustrations take away from the overall package. Upload docs to website and connectivity mostly for me.

From what ive seen there is no justification for me to get the iPad 3. There also seems to be some issues for the UK and indeed Europe over 4GS and the ability to utilise this. Its not going to be fully available until end of 2012 and even then it has already been stated that their is no guarantee then that it will work. I would imagine iPad 4 or whatever it will be called will be not far off from the end of 2012, so for me i will wait to see what happens.

realgray
03-18-2012, 05:36 AM
Sorry to hear about the connectivity issue. I know 4G in Europe is something different and I believe better then in the States. I mainly use WiFi but from what I've seen Verizon 4G works great here. I don't upload a lot of docs except for email and social networks. Going by Ipad's history, I wouldn't expect them to release another one for at least 11-12 months. The rumor is the next big announcement will be an Apple branded "smart tv".

JohnMarchant
03-18-2012, 05:56 AM
Well even if it is 11 or 12 months with the 4G issue i can wait for iPad 4 or whatever its called.

Dont know enough to say which 4G is better, and even less about smart tv.

HenrikSkoglund
03-18-2012, 06:48 AM
Hey, maybe you guys have higher demands, but I think that dropbox works very nicely for the most part when it comes to exchanging pictures, videos and documents.

precedia
03-18-2012, 08:05 AM
Seriously?i'm on iPad 2 still- bought it 4 months ago, don't see any real reason to buy ipad3...

I laughed when I read your comment as it is generally true for most end users there is little perceived difference between the two.

My daughter had a difficult time telling the difference until I pointed out the details in the text and the images, but she didn't appreciate them. The biggest excitement my children got out of the purchase was "I get your iPad 2 right?" :boogiedow I appreciate the difference and can tell and hence why I purchased and posted (maybe a little too much enthusiasm and Apple fanboy-ism bled through this posting).

Android devices, especially the iPad clone from Samsung, are very nice.

Sekhar
03-18-2012, 09:17 AM
How often do you guys use your tablet? I'm curious. I have an iPad (the first) and the Galaxy 10.1, but I don't really use either of them. Occasionally I pick up the Galaxy to check email, but that's it. The lack of keyboard is the biggest issue for me...all I can realistically do is read (web/email/ebooks).

50one
03-18-2012, 11:03 AM
How often do you guys use your tablet? I'm curious. I have an iPad (the first) and the Galaxy 10.1, but I don't really use either of them. Occasionally I pick up the Galaxy to check email, but that's it. The lack of keyboard is the biggest issue for me...all I can realistically do is read (web/email/ebooks).

As been pointed out in the thread earlier on, I'm using mine mostly to showcase some sketches or photos to clients, maybe some movies, most of the time, reading email, surfing the net and reading pdf/manuals / books, but yeah - I only got mine casue there was a quite a good deal here in UK in the three network. Anyway my next buy will be a Asus ZEN and I'll install linux on it, it will be sufficient and worry free - as I want to move more into development field qT, python, MySQL & C++.

Apple is all about design, I appreciate it a lot but when I start thinking about those poor souls assembling them in some big industrial complex in china with the nets outside the windows to catch the "jumpers" then it makes me sick, but then again I should feel sick about the shoes, clothes and 99% of other things...

shrox
03-18-2012, 12:21 PM
Is it true that Ipad owners sometimes wake up in the middle of the night to see their Ipad glaring menacingly at them from the foot of the bed?

OnlineRender
03-18-2012, 12:38 PM
I was lucky enough to have won the Apple delivery lottery and a new iPad (iPad 3).

does that not remind you of IRobot , congrats I can see the attraction with the ipad the new screen is stunning and made by Samsung I believe (",) ...sorry Android fanboy myself ,my htc desire s does me just fine for games and movies , quality game for android is |GTA 10th anniversary edition its so good , I think the only reason I would want a ipad would be for the apps as for Itunes that would drive me mental , however ipad 2 has dropped heavy in price so may just pick up one for the kids