PDA

View Full Version : LCD monitor artifacts?

Heimhenge
03-17-2012, 01:16 PM
I did a simple animation involving an electron orbiting around a proton. The only thing moving is the electron, and it moves in a circle. What I see on my LCD monitor though is like a motion blur of sorts, and I suspect it's the monitor and not my eyes. If I pause the video or do a screen cap the blur isn't there. My monitor is an older model with max 60 Hz refresh rate, so that's why I suspect the monitor.

Can anyone confirm or refute that hypothesis? Doesn't seem to matter what video format I use. The blur is always there. File is attached.

Wolvy_UK
03-17-2012, 02:09 PM
I have a lcd monitor with a 5ms response time and I see it too. I see no ghosting or problems in games so my monitor is fast enough.

What I see in your video looks like normal motion blur ( Was that option on in Lightwave render ?). I see what looks like 3 or 4 yellow balls joined together when it' s moving in a big circle, then when it gets closer to the blue ball it becomes a single yellow ball.

I would try it on my TV, but that is LCD also.

MarcusM
03-17-2012, 04:19 PM
But guys, just pause animation in whatever second and yellow circle dont have motion blur. It's of course becouse of LCD.
On future, keep away from IPS matrix, it's blurring like hell.

Heimhenge
03-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Yeah, well I just checked my records, and that Samsung LCD monitor is like 7 years old. I could not find a response time spec. This is what I did find: 60 Hz vertical refresh rate, and pixel clock = 154 MHz. It's gotta be the age of the monitor that's causing this blur effect.

BTW, I am not using any motion blur in LW. I tried that, but it made things worse.

Interestingly, the video runs with no blur on my Fujitsu laptop, which uses an ATI card for video. Looks like it's gotta be the old monitor causing this. I see I can get an Asus 24" with 2 ms response time for about $250. Might be time to upgrade.

Heimhenge
03-18-2012, 09:43 AM
Don't usually respond to myself, but I found something interesting. My 7 year old monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 243T. After some online research, I found its response time is a whopping 25 ms. Most LCDs for sale these days claim 5 ms. As I said, I found an Asus with 2 ms.

So to get rid of the blur, is it the response time that'll make the difference? Now I gotta wonder, since Wolvy_UK says he sees the blur on his 5 ms monitor. Or is there some other spec that's more important?

Also, does response time increase as a monitor ages? I keep mine on most of the day.

sami
03-24-2012, 08:57 PM
Just in case you care: I looked at it on old Dell 2407WFP in VLC and I see the blur you describe, but it's not there on pause. The specs for these monitors say grey-to-grey is 6ms but black-to-white is 16ms - maybe since your background is full black this is why? Or it could be something in the codec? dunno. But it does not look like LW motion blur.

Check your black-to-white response time: it is going to be slower than the grey-grey. Grey-to-grey probably matters more in a movie or video when the constrasts of the changing pixels aren't so drastic. I suspect having a better black-to-white response time would help you in this situation where you have a very high contrast in brightness of the electron to the background.

ScaraBoid
03-29-2012, 10:02 AM
I have the same bluer effect on the Samsung SynncMaster 2333 :devil: