PDA

View Full Version : Performance

Stephen0523
03-16-2012, 10:49 AM
Hi. I am using Lightwave 11 on a Mac Pro tower. I have a file that seemed to handle well yesterday, but today I keep getting the spinning beach ball and have to wait a few minutes to do anything. The object is rather large, but if it handled well yesterday, it should be the same today.

Is there a way to increase memory to Modeler?

Oddly enough, I loaded the same object into LW 9.6 with no issues. It seems to be a video thing.

Please help if you can!!
I posted this in the General forum, but I believe it should have been posted here.

Cheers
Stephen

eblu
03-16-2012, 09:44 PM
stephen, LW 11 should be able to, by default, address every megabyte of ram available in your system.

is your computer's hard drive spinning madly while you watch the beach ball?
are you running a resource intensive background task?
are you working in layout or modeler?
have you changed openGL display settings between sessions?
have you tried to reboot your system?
how big is this file?

can you post generic specs for your workstation?
ram, processor speed, # of cores, system software, etc...

Stephen0523
03-17-2012, 07:32 AM
Hi Eblu.

is your computer's hard drive spinning madly while you watch the beach ball? No

are you running a resource intensive background task? - No
are you working in layout or modeller? - Modeler

have you changed openGL display settings between sessions? I do not think so. Attached is a screen shot of my GL Settings in the Preference Panel

have you tried to reboot your system? Yes
how big is this file? 77kb (I attached the file here)

can you post generic specs for your workstation?
ram 16gb, processor speed 2 x 3ghz Quad Core Intel, # of cores2 x 3ghz Quad Core Intel, system software OSX Lion10.7.3, etc... (Screen Shot attached)

Oddly it seemed ok when I logged in as a new user.

Best regards
Stephen

Stephen0523
03-17-2012, 08:32 AM
I was wondering if there is a way to completely uninstall my LW and reinstall?

Stephen

brunopeixoto
03-17-2012, 10:29 AM
it's a good idea repair permissions and delete prefs.
it's what do at first when get something wrong.

brunopeixoto
03-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Also, with do not want to del prefs, you could create another account and try LW Modeler with the new account.

Stephen0523
03-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Yes, it did work in a new account. So where are the Lightwave Prefs to delete?

Cheers

brunopeixoto
03-17-2012, 10:37 AM
in finder, press the option key, in the go menu select library. in the new window (Library) you could see the preferences folder and then delete all files that are lw related.

Stephen0523
03-17-2012, 10:40 AM
great, I will try

Stephen0523
03-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Well I deleted the Prefs, and reinstalled, but it never asked for serial # and is not operating in Discovery mode, so I must have missed something.

S

brunopeixoto
03-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Since version 10, LW stores configs and license in User/Library/application Support/newtek

Stephen0523
03-18-2012, 08:48 AM
Thanks to all for your Help!!! I cleared the Preferences, reinstalled and all seems to be working fine again!

Cheers
Stephen

brunopeixoto
03-18-2012, 08:57 AM
you are welcome.

eblu
03-19-2012, 08:12 AM
the file itself isn't that big.
catmull clark subDs, but only about 900 of those.

the scale is decent. sometimes when you build things way out of scale (km vs mm) LW can do wonky things.

But I was having an issue zooming in on the stick, in modeler. Then I examined one of the points, and it was 400 meters from the center. The hockey stick itself is 400 meters from the center of the object file. This is causing some weirdness.

can you center it or are you placing it in a larger scene right where it is?
I suggest bringing your model closer to the center of the obj file, as well as the preferences thing.