PDA

View Full Version : Graph Editor crashes LW 8.5 Layout

THREEL
03-16-2012, 10:10 AM
I had to re-install LW, recently. I only have v 8.5. Whenever I'm in Layout and try to open the Graph Editor, Layout crashes. It seems to be the only one crashing it, thus far. Scene Editor, Surface Editor, and Image Editor seem to be OK when opened. If this helps, I'm running Windows XP Pro 32-bit. Does anyone know what might be causing this and how to fix it? Thanks!!!

GregMalick
03-16-2012, 10:34 AM
I'll take a wild guess that some of the "newer" config files are messing it up.

THREEL
03-16-2012, 11:40 AM
I'll take a wild guess that some of the "newer" config files are messing it up.

So, I installed v 8.3 and then, upgraded to 8.5. What is the answer in fixing it?

stiff paper
03-16-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm not being funny or anything, but it's been a really long time since many people here were using 8.3 or 8.5 (or possibly even since anybody here was using either of them). The only thing I can think of is for you to look in the forum archives.

Although... I might try turning off everything "fancy" I could turn off on my graphics card and seeing if it still crashes, just in case it's something as straightforward as graphics driver problem.

Nicolas Jordan
03-16-2012, 04:49 PM
You should redirect your configs to a "Config" folder in the directory the Layout and Modeler exe files are in. Info on how to do it is here http://www.dreamlight.com/insights/10/config_files.html

That should keep your config files separate for each version of Lightwave you set it up for.

Titus
03-16-2012, 05:14 PM
I remember having problems with LW 8.X then. One solution at that time was to turn off HUB, with something like "layout.exe -0".

THREEL
03-16-2012, 10:36 PM
I'm not being funny or anything, but it's been a really long time since many people here were using 8.3 or 8.5 (or possibly even since anybody here was using either of them). The only thing I can think of is for you to look in the forum archives.

Although... I might try turning off everything "fancy" I could turn off on my graphics card and seeing if it still crashes, just in case it's something as straightforward as graphics driver problem.

I hear ya!!! As much as I hate to say this, I've just never been able to upgrade with most of you. Still stuck in 8.5 land, unfortunately. Anyway, I'll try some of these suggestions and see if they help. I was, also, wondering if it had anything to do with a Wondows compatability issue. What platform of Windows was popular when 8,5 first came out?

THREEL
03-17-2012, 09:07 PM
I remember having problems with LW 8.X then. One solution at that time was to turn off HUB, with something like "layout.exe -0".

Where would I do this at, Felipe? Also, The graphics card is a Radeon 7000 series. Does anyone remember this card causing any crashing problems with LW?

dwburman
03-18-2012, 01:39 AM
you add the -0 in the shortcut to the app by right clicking its the icon and clicking on properties. I can't remember if you put it in the Target: or Start In: field, so someone else will have to chime in, or you can experiment.

The -0 goes after the quotation marks. That -0 is the number, not the letter.

kopperdrake
03-18-2012, 01:53 AM
What platform of Windows was popular when 8,5 first came out?

I'd say it was probably Windows 2000 -XP wasn't out until 2005 whereas LW 8.5 came out the year before.

Surrealist.
03-18-2012, 02:07 AM
Dude..... what a ya been smokin'? :D

I was using XP in 2001.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP

Anyway Al, I was using 8.5 up to around... 9.6 on XP. You should be OK with XP.

D-Lab
03-18-2012, 03:19 AM
Hi THREEL,

LightWave 8.5 on Win XP 32 here and no problems with the graph editor nor the hub or everything else.

First, you should uninstall properly LW and trash the config files which should be in C:\Documents and Settings\"at the root of any directories you have" (like: All Users, "User name", Default User...).

The config files are of the form "LW"something".cfg".

Then, install LightWave 8.0 and LW 8.5 update (it's a cumulative update).

Perhaps a "Scan Directory" in the Edit Plug-ins panel could consolidate things.

Finally, update your graphics card drivers or try an optimized one (older ?) for your card.

If this is not working, well, no luck...

Tchao

THREEL
03-18-2012, 04:48 PM
you add the -0 in the shortcut to the app by right clicking its the icon and clicking on properties. I can't remember if you put it in the Target: or Start In: field, so someone else will have to chime in, or you can experiment.

The -0 goes after the quotation marks. That -0 is the number, not the letter.

I tried both of these options and all I get is an invalid entry prompt. I tried uninstalling/re-installing with no success. I think it as something to do with the ATI catalyst graphics card/software, but don't know how to get rid of all the bells and whistles on it to give that a try. I remember having problems caused by an ATI card, but I can't remember what software it was infecting. I had an Nvidia card, which seemed to work already, but that one quit working. A friend of mine is letting me borrow this card, but I don't think it's going to do the trick for this.

Surrealist.
03-18-2012, 07:01 PM
Also check to make sure you have installed current drivers for the card. Or maybe even make sure the current driver - the one installed - is still compatible with XP.

THREEL
03-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Also check to make sure you have installed current drivers for the card. Or maybe even make sure the current driver - the one installed - is still compatible with XP.

You know what... I got to wonder if the new driver for this graphics card really is compatible with XP. The literature said that it was, but I notice the word Vista popped up a lot, during download of the file.

THREEL
03-18-2012, 11:50 PM
After uninstalling the ATI/Radeon 7000 series drivers and reinstalling drivers from a different source, I've come to the conclusion that there is a compatibility issue with LW 8.5 and the Radeon 7000 series drivers. After completely uninstalling them, restarting my computer, having the computer use just a generic VGA driver, the Graph Editor worked perfectly fine, but as soon as I found the right drivers from a different source, reintroduced the drivers to my computer, and tried running Layout again, it would crash as soon as I'd try to open the Graph Editor. I'll be looking for a different graphics card. Any suggestions for one the will work well with LW 8.5???

Dexter2999
03-19-2012, 12:43 AM
Historically, Nvidia cards have worked best with LW. More specifically, the GeForce line work well and give the greatest "bang for the buck".

THREEL
03-19-2012, 01:52 AM
Historically, Nvidia cards have worked best with LW. More specifically, the GeForce line work well and give the greatest "bang for the buck".

I'm thinking this route as well. I just need to confirm whether I'm dealing with DDR2, or DDR3. Does that even really make a difference? Also, how much onboard RAM should I be looking for on the graphics driver? I know enough about computer hardware/software to make me dangerous. On the other hand, I don't know enough about computer hardware/software to make me even more dangerous. :D

Dexter2999
03-19-2012, 12:26 PM
Something like this would probably work for you.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/EVGA+-+GeForce+GT+520+2GB+GDDR3+PCI+Express+2.0+Graphics +Card/3628056.p?id=1218421869680&skuId=3628056

A high end card would start to approach the cost of upgrading your seat of LW. This card will work well enough for LW but like the reviews state it isn't meant for the latest in "hard core" gaming.

THREEL
03-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Graphics card was definitely the problem. A friend of mine is letting me use a massive GeForce card. It requires a 6-pin wire to draw power from the computer. Thanks for everyone's responses!