PDA

View Full Version : RUIN - my short

wesball
03-16-2012, 01:16 AM
I released my short today. I didn't render in lightwave, but all the camera and character animation was done in lightwave.

Hope you like.

http://www.conceptruin.com

http://db.tt/ryM8jIzr

Greenlaw
03-16-2012, 01:51 AM
Congratualtions! The work is fantastic! Can't wait to see the next episode. :thumbsup:

G.

Mitja
03-16-2012, 02:15 AM
Wow man! This is movie-level stuff! Rendered with what?

probiner
03-16-2012, 02:30 AM
Congrats Wes and all involved, very nicely done. It definietly locks me in. You guys didn't RUIN it :D

Looking forward to see an interview for more details on the production. Pitty newsletters aren't around anymore for that purpose.

Wow man! This is movie-level stuff! Rendered with what?
In the credits:
Modeled and Rendered in Modo
Animated in LightWave

Cheers

ksnoad
03-16-2012, 02:32 AM
Very very impressive! Well done.

Character animation in Lightwave? - Surely not, I read that it was impossible ;)

Kev xx

biliousfrog
03-16-2012, 02:45 AM
Amazing work throughout, excellent.

I have one tiny crit...how did he accelerate the bike with a sword in his right hand? ;)

Mitja
03-16-2012, 03:19 AM
Modeled and Rendered in Modo
Animated in LightWave
Cheers

I saw it later while watchin it the second time, I never read the final credits... :D
So modo seems to be really powerful
@Wesball: why didn't you render with LW?

vector
03-16-2012, 03:48 AM
Absolutely amazing

Lewis
03-16-2012, 05:37 AM
that's an impressive work, congrats :)

MAUROCOR
03-16-2012, 06:46 AM
Very nice, congrats to the whole team!
The sound is great too!:thumbsup:

Curious to watch what is coming next.:D

pauland
03-16-2012, 07:05 AM
Wow - loved it.

lino.grandi
03-16-2012, 08:02 AM
Impressive work Wes!

alesxander
03-16-2012, 08:26 AM
absolutely fabulous work. congrats to the team

Tobian
03-16-2012, 08:32 AM
Gorgeous work, I loved it all! There were a couple of shots that jumped slightly, in terms of the 'reality' but overall this is an extremelly well crafted piece that comes close to PR.

As a question: would the render changes in LW 11 have enabled you to have done it there now? (Obviously you've been working on this a long time and LW 11 came out recently so it couldn't have been used at the time).

OnlineRender
03-16-2012, 09:09 AM
Epic ...

zippitt
03-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Awesome work, just a minor inconsistency other than the throttle on the bike. You see the bike moving toward the VTOL before he jumps on it and takes it out. In the next shot he is standing in front of the trashed VTOL where it "looks" like the bike is in front of it. I would expect the bike to be some distance behind the VTOL or at least out of the camera view in that exact shot, otherwise I was blown away!

Andrewstopheles
03-16-2012, 10:50 AM
maybe the character manipulated the throttle with telekinesis, who knows?
the character travels with a sword-like weapon, maybe has added a second throttle on the left side to facilitate swordplay?
and perhaps the bike flew / rolled as far as the ship flew?
anyways fantastic work!

zippitt
03-16-2012, 10:54 AM
maybe the character manipulated the throttle with telekinesis, who knows?
the character travels with a sword-like weapon, maybe has added a second throttle on the left side to facilitate swordplay?
and perhaps the bike flew / rolled as far as the ship flew?
anyways fantastic work!

It is what it is I guess, you could imagine anything I suppose, but the bike and the VTOL were moving in opposite directions so for me it just stands out. It's just a bad habit watching any movie, even movies I love so it has nothing to do with the wonderful piece of artwork that it is.

Tobian
03-16-2012, 10:56 AM
maybe he used his nanomatrix hand implant thingy :D Maybe a wizard did it? Who knows?!

Tobian
03-16-2012, 10:57 AM
tbh - the bike could have hit a wall and bounced back to it's current position.. it was a tight space and it had a lot of movement, and there's lots of debris and structure for it to bounce off! :)

geo_n
03-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Really nice short. I saw a screenshot of this with dpinstance before maybe. I always liked the modo renderer, like a vray renderer in a lw environment. But the shadertree was difficult for me. :D

Greenlaw
03-16-2012, 01:42 PM
With all that cool action happening in this short, are you guys seriously quibbling about who moved the motorcycle between scenes? ;)

RebelHill
03-16-2012, 02:00 PM
With all that cool action happening in this short, are you guys seriously quibbling about who moved the motorcycle between scenes? ;)

I was more concerned with why he chose to lobb a filing cabinet out a 10th floor window when there was a delicate lil phone thing in there he wanted to have working. Now he has no phone, and no bike. This guy should really be more careful with his stuff... this film sets a bad example for the kids.

jasonwestmas
03-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Woohoo! Loved it.

OnlineRender
03-16-2012, 03:56 PM
environments are stunning ...edit the whole thing is stunning

brunopeixoto
03-16-2012, 03:59 PM
insane!

bobakabob
03-16-2012, 05:28 PM
Amazing visuals and lighting.

Danner
03-16-2012, 07:35 PM
:eek::bowdown::beerchug::heart:

bazsa73
03-16-2012, 11:07 PM
Questions:
-Why does he have nanohand?
-What has happened to humanity?
-Who is inside the hovering unit and why does it want to prevent the hero from having
the cool but broken thingy?
-Why does the hero go to the deserted city in the very end?

archijam
03-17-2012, 01:34 AM
For those curious, there are fantastic making of videos, made at various points in production:

http://www.oddballanimation.com/concept-ruin

Regarding LW for rendering, it was used for a while .. these are in lw:
http://www.oddballanimation.com/archives/914
http://www.oddballanimation.com/archives/917

Also awesome looking :)

I am curious why he switched back to modo in the end, however.

biliousfrog
03-17-2012, 04:47 AM
I was more concerned with why he chose to lobb a filing cabinet out a 10th floor window when there was a delicate lil phone thing in there he wanted to have working. Now he has no phone, and no bike. This guy should really be more careful with his stuff... this film sets a bad example for the kids.

I actually wondered that but forgot about it after the action kicked off, I'm sure there are easier ways to gain access to a filing cabinet, especially with a sword that can cut through armour plating.

stiff paper
03-17-2012, 05:03 AM
Why does everybody keep referring to the safe as a filing cabinet? When was the last time you saw a filing cabinet with a six inch thick stepped-in door?

Edit:

Also: I mean, really, come on people. If you think it's a filing cabinet then why do you think he pushed it out of the building? For the exercise? Or do you just generally not have any interest in things like "Meaning" or "Story"?

safetyman
03-17-2012, 06:03 AM
I don't think he was looking for anything in particular -- just found the iPad 12 thingy in there by chance maybe. He had to get the safe out in the open so that he could make his escape in the event a hovercraft came by, which it did, so that proves my point :)

Anyway -- really great short. That bike rig is wicked cool!

mav3rick
03-17-2012, 06:15 AM
nice to see some quality stuff made from artist that use both lw and modo. impressive work guys!

also great respect to proven production tools goes to 3rd party guys Rebel Hill and Dpont!

Rabbitpenny
03-17-2012, 06:17 AM
Fantastic work. Lasseter says that half the goal is good animation and half the goal is a good story. By my count you've got 3 halves. Congratulations on a job spectacularly done.

jasonwestmas
03-17-2012, 07:41 AM
I actually wondered that but forgot about it after the action kicked off, I'm sure there are easier ways to gain access to a filing cabinet, especially with a sword that can cut through armour plating.

Yeah damn, that sword is wicked to be able to do that. I really liked those far off shots though even though the logic might not make sense.

Oedo 808
03-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Very nice work. Many times you see glimpses of this sort of thing, but people can't hold it together to get it completed. Bravo.

bazsa73
03-17-2012, 08:37 AM
what? ipad12? Where?

Sekhar
03-17-2012, 09:29 AM
Fantastic, movie-quality stuff. Congratulations guys!

I was really frustrated though watching the guy go happily without anyone taking a single shot at him all the way till the end...at least then every one of the shots missed him in true tradition (and he didn't even have to bend down). Also, it was heartwarming to see the future finally turning green.

sublimationman
03-17-2012, 08:03 PM
I would go to the theatre to see a 2 hour version of this in a heart beat. Great story line, graphics great sound...

MDSPECIFIC
03-19-2012, 11:32 AM
I really enjoyed watching!
Keep them coming!

valu
03-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Yeahhhhh man. i love that short film. It looks great!
Why did you choose Modo to Render , time or quality ?
Congratulations !

drako
03-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Excellent short and a i think that shorts like these we have except to see more from LW artists.
Bravo and again a BIG BRAVO....

Cloak&Dagger
03-22-2012, 03:58 PM
Superb stuff. Real commitment and passion to keep it going for so long.

Well worth the wait

Cageman
03-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Good stuff! I really enjoyed watching this piece! :thumbsup:

For those who wonder why he used Modo for rendering opposed to using LW... well, and this is my theory and not something I do know for a fact, but Modo has had native instancing through Replicators for quite some time, and they do render pretty fast.

At the time, LW was still at v10.1, and, despite nice tools such as DP Instance and HD Instance, they are both volumebased solutions, meaning that, while they certanly can look gorgeous, it comes with a HUGE price called rendertime, especially when you add GI into the mix.

Not sure if LW11 is there yet, but it is in a much better position regarding both rendering and instancing compared to LW10.1, but can it beat Modo with similar scenes?

DigitalSorcery8
03-22-2012, 08:30 PM
This is absolutely beautiful work - stunning!

It doesn't get much better than this - IMO. Truly a master of his tools and a great project to combine applications. I'm sure that this could probably be done all in LW or all in Modo, but it doesn't really matter - it's just great!

jasonwestmas
03-22-2012, 11:19 PM
I wonder how he did the explosions in modo. I can't find anything on that.

Oh, Cageman thinks it's turbulence comped into the modo render. Yeah probably.

DigitalSorcery8
03-22-2012, 11:23 PM
I wonder how he did the explosions in modo. I can't find anything on that.

I had wondered the same thing. It says he used TFD, but unless he he used it in LW and comped it, it wouldn't be 3D. And since he says everything - including volumetrics - was 3D, it can't be TFD for AfterFX, could it?

bazsa73
03-22-2012, 11:48 PM
he used after effects so he must have comped it in there, otherwise how

DigitalSorcery8
03-23-2012, 12:04 AM
he used after effects so he must have comped it in there, otherwise how

Yeah, it does make since since he used TFD and everything was 3D. Hopefully he'll provide more behind-the-scenes info. Seeing this project REALLY makes me want to get into Modo. As soon as I find the money, that will be the next program I buy. :)

Caveboy
03-23-2012, 01:15 AM
Speaking of behind the scenes. Wes, I hope Cinefex interviews you and does an article in Cinefex magazine! That would be so good!

Mrjack
03-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Congratulation :)

djwaterman
03-28-2012, 11:09 PM
he explains some of it here.

http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/project_ruin/&utm_source=email&utm_medium=cgsnewsletter&utm_campaign=cgsnewsletter?utm_source=CGSociety+Ne wsletter&

jeric_synergy
03-29-2012, 01:56 AM
Hmmm, anything like 'Recoil' in the pipeline for LW?

lardbros
03-29-2012, 06:02 AM
Truly, truly STUNNING work!!!

Amurrell
04-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Hmmm, anything like 'Recoil' in the pipeline for LW?

It's called Bullet, and we have it...

From Luxology "Simulating rigid body interactions in modo is easily handled with recoil™, a fully integrated dynamics simulation plug-in for modo 501 developed by Eric Soulvie. Utilizing the popular open-source Bullet Physics engine, recoil simplifies the setup..."

So LightWave's implementations is still being ironed out, but....

jasonwestmas
04-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Recoil is based on bullet and has ropes and soft bodies as well.

jeric_synergy
04-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Using Bullet for modeling is inTRIGuing...... >;^)