PDA

View Full Version : PS Move setup guide?

OlaHaldor
03-15-2012, 02:12 PM
I've got a Move controller and the PS Move camera. I've googled and searched the forum, and I quickly came to this conclusion:

NEWTEK! You need to make a guide on what's needed and how to set it up.

I feel like I'm doing some illegal guerrilla stuff here, since there's NO guidelines what so ever.

I read something about needing to buy an app on PSN? This isn't even mentioned in the manual. What gives!?
And is it true that this move.me app is for US PSN users only?

We need an official guide. If that can't be done, then someone who's made it work have to help the others, and make it a sticky.

steve0077
03-15-2012, 02:18 PM
2nd that.

zapper1998
03-15-2012, 02:32 PM
3 rd it

:)

shadowlock
03-15-2012, 03:27 PM
OK 4th!

wrench
03-15-2012, 04:07 PM
The move.me setup and example starts on page 73 of the last revision of the manual.

B

Greenlaw
03-15-2012, 04:21 PM
In case you guys aren't aware, the latest manual revisions can be found here:

Lightwave 11 Manual Addendum (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=126210)

G.

OlaHaldor
03-15-2012, 05:52 PM
Isn't that kind of ignorant, to release essential material like a manual, in a forum? Shouldn't it be available in the more usual spot like the page where you register the software and so on?

I wouldn't even think of searching the forums for a new manual.

So for anyone searching, this is it. And I'm a bit disappointed this wasn't clear before. I'd rather not spend money on the Move starter kit at all if I knew this... :(

PlayStation3 Setup

You must have the necessary hardware and physically set it up . Please refer to your PS3 console for specific setup instructions such as linking the controllers to your system .
- PlayStation3 console
- PS3 Eye camera
- PS3 Motion Controller (up to four; this example specifies two)
- Network connectivity to a LightWave11 system

You must also acquire the PS3 move .me software application . This is available via the PlayStation Network Store (availability in certain markets may be limited). <----- US Only?! A list of countries with this app available would be great for all users!

Start the move .me application and get past its instructional splash screens . The screen should display what the camera is seeing, and the upper left corner of the screen will show the console’s IP address with a port of 7899 . This is the server that LightWave11 will need to refer to shortly .

And the list goes on. It looks interesting. But these details should've been mentioned earlier, like a disclaimer in the features list or something.

I upgraded to LW11 for other reasons, but thought it would be a fun little project to make some realistic camera moves. Since nothing else was written about it, I assumed it would be as good as plug-and-play.

Greenlaw
03-15-2012, 06:05 PM
My understanding is that the release in that thread is a 'work-in-progress' and not an official release. The intention is to get feedback from users who want to help with editing it.

I'm certain that the official release, when it's ready, will be available through normal channels.

G.

Edit: I think most LW 11 users received an email about the 'addendum' thread awhile back--it's how I found out about it. Anyway, you have the link now.

OlaHaldor
03-16-2012, 03:58 AM
I don't believe I did. I purchased it just recently, and the thread is a few weeks older.
Thanks for the link.

Greenlaw
03-16-2012, 04:26 AM
Yeah, that's why I said 'most'...I don't think every user did and it's possible that the email only went out before you purchased. Maybe the thread should get a sticky? Anyway, glad to help. :)

wrench
03-16-2012, 05:39 PM
Move.me was due to be available to EMEA countries by the start of February and it has been delayed. Speak to Sony about that, there's nothing we can do I'm afraid other than continue to ask them ourselves. What Lino Grandi has done is to purchase a dollar PSN gift card. You can use them in the PSN store, you just can't use Euro.

B

AnomalyVFX
10-01-2012, 04:26 AM
Isn't that kind of ignorant, to release essential material like a manual, in a forum? Shouldn't it be available in the more usual spot like the page where you register the software and so on?

I wouldn't even think of searching the forums for a new manual.

So for anyone searching, this is it. And I'm a bit disappointed this wasn't clear before. I'd rather not spend money on the Move starter kit at all if I knew this... :(

PlayStation3 Setup

You must have the necessary hardware and physically set it up . Please refer to your PS3 console for specific setup instructions such as linking the controllers to your system .
- PlayStation3 console
- PS3 Eye camera
- PS3 Motion Controller (up to four; this example specifies two)
- Network connectivity to a LightWave11 system

You must also acquire the PS3 move .me software application . This is available via the PlayStation Network Store (availability in certain markets may be limited). <----- US Only?! A list of countries with this app available would be great for all users!

Start the move .me application and get past its instructional splash screens . The screen should display what the camera is seeing, and the upper left corner of the screen will show the console’s IP address with a port of 7899 . This is the server that LightWave11 will need to refer to shortly .

And the list goes on. It looks interesting. But these details should've been mentioned earlier, like a disclaimer in the features list or something.

I upgraded to LW11 for other reasons, but thought it would be a fun little project to make some realistic camera moves. Since nothing else was written about it, I assumed it would be as good as plug-and-play.

thank you, OlaHaldor for making this information available.
it was difficult to find.

BeeVee
10-01-2012, 04:32 AM
It's in the manual available in your account pages, starting on the page I gave.

B

mosconariz
02-27-2013, 10:47 PM
Do we still need the move.me with LW 11.5?

BeeVee
02-28-2013, 04:04 AM
Yes. And it's still not easily available outside the US it seems.

B

OlaHaldor
02-28-2013, 04:15 AM
Which is a total disaster.

50one
02-28-2013, 04:22 AM
Yes, if you're outside US you won't be able to obrain a license for move.me if tou're not a part of a academic/uni project, even then they'll need a confirmation from professors etc. :)

mosconariz
02-28-2013, 02:27 PM
Yes. And it's still not easily available outside the US it seems.

B

Owps, I already bought the PS move, haha... Thanks Bee Vee, let me see what can I do

BeeVee
02-28-2013, 03:21 PM
The easiest way to get it done for now is to have a friend in the US. They can go on Amazon and get two $50 PSN Prepaid Game Cards (http://www.amazon.com/50-PSN-Prepaid-Game-Card-Playstation/dp/B001GROEEO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362089423&sr=8-2&keywords=playstation+gift+cards). They don't need to send them to you, just scratch off the back and give you the codes. Obviously, this needs to be a good friend :) Next, you need to set up a US account on your PS3. I'm on shakier ground here since I don't own a PlayStation, but several people I know have done so. This account will need an address stateside but it doesn't have to be a real one. Go into the US PS3 shop and use the numbers from the back of the gift cards to buy Move.me, which is $100.

B

SPICE
03-21-2013, 09:48 PM
The easiest way to get it done for now is to have a friend in the US. They can go on Amazon and get two $50 PSN Prepaid Game Cards (http://www.amazon.com/50-PSN-Prepaid-Game-Card-Playstation/dp/B001GROEEO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362089423&sr=8-2&keywords=playstation+gift+cards). They don't need to send them to you, just scratch off the back and give you the codes. Obviously, this needs to be a good friend :) Next, you need to set up a US account on your PS3. I'm on shakier ground here since I don't own a PlayStation, but several people I know have done so. This account will need an address stateside but it doesn't have to be a real one. Go into the US PS3 shop and use the numbers from the back of the gift cards to buy Move.me, which is $100.

B

Has anybody from Europe done this succesfully?

jog
03-22-2013, 12:33 AM
Why is there still this overly complicated MoveMe setup necessary ?
I use Ipi Mocap Studio and there you can use the PSMove (or Wiimote)
without all this. Only thing you need is bluetooth on your machine, so i bought
a USB bluetooth stick for 5 euro and it worked instantly without
problems and no need of a PS3 sitting next to you.

SPICE
03-22-2013, 03:59 AM
I use Ipi Mocap Studio and there you can use the PSMove (or Wiimote)
without all this. Only thing you need is bluetooth on your machine, so i bought
a USB bluetooth stick for 5 euro and it worked instantly without
problems and no need of a PS3 sitting next to you.

fine for U

but I want to do what NEWTEK has done at Siggraph 2012 and not Motion Capturing

so again my question
Has anybody from Europe succesfully follow the guides that BeeVee posted?

lino.grandi
03-22-2013, 04:44 AM
Yes, I did.
At the moment that's the only way to get the Move.Me software for us poor european users. :(

mosconariz
03-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Okay... I got downloaded the move.me... it's neat. I'm animating a character with that, it looks funny. The only thing is that you can't add any animation to the performance once you made the virtual studio stuff... That's a little sad and frustrating. I wanted to animate one null, then another, then another, same performance :S

Greenlaw
03-24-2013, 11:54 PM
I use Ipi Mocap Studio and there you can use the PSMove (or Wiimote) without all this. Only thing you need is bluetooth on your machine, so i bought a USB bluetooth stick for 5 euro and it worked instantly without problems and no need of a PS3 sitting next to you.

In iPi Mocap Studio, the Bluetooth configuration allows you to capture only rotational data, not translation. It uses bones motion extracted from RGB (PS3 Eye) or depth (Kinect/Carmine) for the translation movements associated with the PS Move data.

LightWave, on the other hand, captures both types of data from the PS Move and it does so in realtime, but it needs the console to help it capture and process the translation part. In other words, what LightWave is doing with the PS Move and console is, in fact, more complicated. At least, with regards to capturing motion using the PS Move anyway.

Now, if rotational data was all you wanted from the PS Move (or Wii Motion Plus) in LightWave, it should be doable with the Bluetooth device. For that matter, you could do the same with a smartphone/iPad and a Bluetooth device I guess--this is what they use for compass apps and games using rotational input. (FYI, iPod Touch does not have a magnetometer, so it wouldn't work.)

G.

Greenlaw
03-25-2013, 12:11 AM
By the way, even though rotation-only with PS Move and Bluetooth may seem more limiting than what LightWave with PS Move/PS3 can do, there is actually some very interesting potential here because Bluetooth allows you to read from several devices at the same time. iPi Recorder, for example, currently reads from two PS Move devices for each wrist rotation via Bluetooth, and one iPi user recently 'tricked' iPi Mocap Studio into reading a PS Move strapped to headphones to capture head rotation (http://ipisoft.com/2013/03/head-tracking-with-sony-move-controller-tutorial/). iPi Soft says they intend to open their software to receive rotation input from more Bluetooth compatible devices in an upcoming build.

I think you could do some interesting puppetry using rotation-only. For example, a clever puppeteer could use rotation from one device to drive translation movements in LightWave through expressions, and use a second device for actual rotation. Or any number of combinations using rotation-only data (to drive morphs, scaling, color, etc.)

Here's an idea: one device to control a character's head rotation and a second to control mouth shapes (pitch for open/close, bank and heading for degrees of other mouth or face shapes,) and then get a friend involved to control other features of a character (ears, eyes, tail, wings, etc.)

G.