PDA

View Full Version : Nice mouse suggestions (MMB)

jasonwestmas
03-14-2012, 03:25 PM
Hey guys, can any of you recommend a mouse with a really nice MIDDLE mouse button? I'm getting kinda tired of the wheel button thing. I'm kinda surprised I've been so content with it but now they are wearing out.

biliousfrog
03-14-2012, 03:47 PM
I use a Logitech G5, middle wheel I'm afraid but it's a nice, solid mouse.

I don't use the middle mouse click as such, it has a left and right wheel click which I use instead. It also has a thumb button and two small buttons on top for adjusting sensitivity...all buttons are configurable to anything you wish. It also has a cartridge in the base for weights so you can make it as light or heavy as you like...I've got the maximum weight in it.

I got it with my BOXX workstation which must be...ooh, nearly 5 years ago? It still looks and works as good as new.

probiner
03-14-2012, 03:57 PM
what's you particular problem with the wheel? Some mouses allow you to change the button mapping. Mine does at leaset: A cheap A4tech 748-K

wrench
03-14-2012, 04:08 PM
I was ready to write off the Logitech Anywhere MX as a ridiculous development, because like all other Logitech MX meece it has a mouse wheel that either works in clicky mode, or as a freewheeling roller (great for rapidly scrolling through pages of material). In previous versions there was a button to push to change the behaviour of the wheel, but in this mouse (which is intended for laptops, but is comfortable enough for extended use) actually pressing down the mouse wheel switches behaviours. So what of the MMB click? It's gone, but since there's a button just behind the wheel you can assign that to be a MMB and it's actually nicer than clicking the wheel. So the mouse gets my thumbs up. By default that button is for Logitech's version of Alt-Tab, which I never use, but if you like it, you could just change the behaviour for LightWave and use that button as normal for all other apps. Me, I just changed it generally.

B

gravin
03-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Not really a "mouse" per say but I find working with a wacom tablet to be very mmb friendly, just set the two side switch buttons to mmb and rmb. I don't think I've seen a modern mouse that didn't use a scroll wheel for the mmb in some way.

jasonwestmas
03-14-2012, 04:53 PM
I actually saw some really old ADB mice with three buttons that were all identicle. Not sure about these days however.

I had some bad experiences with the mouse wheel being really hard to push down so I tend to be pretty careful about what i buy.

I actually have an MX 1000 cordless laser mouse and i can assign the mmb to the two buttons that are in the front and back of the wheel. In order to press them it feels just a tad awkward to me because I have to loosely grasp the mouse then to get my finger on the back button which feel best but my palm is raised up a little like I'm afraid to get my hand dirty on the mouse. . . haha.

I could never get used to using a pen other than for painting and drawing sadly. It's too sensitive for rigging, animation and file management.

Thanks guys!

biliousfrog
03-15-2012, 01:18 AM
I had some bad experiences with the mouse wheel being really hard to push down so I tend to be pretty careful about what i buy.

Well, with the G5 that I have it is quite tricky to accurately 'press' the middle wheel down...I didn't even know it had a standard middle-click for about a year! The left/right wheel clicks work great though so that's what I use instead.

You're best to visit a large PC store and have a play with some. You need something which fits comfortably in your hand for prolonged periods of time as well as having the functions you require.

jasonwestmas
03-15-2012, 08:35 AM
Well, with the G5 that I have it is quite tricky to accurately 'press' the middle wheel down...I didn't even know it had a standard middle-click for about a year! The left/right wheel clicks work great though so that's what I use instead.

You're best to visit a large PC store and have a play with some. You need something which fits comfortably in your hand for prolonged periods of time as well as having the functions you require.

Great advice, thanks. I'll take a look at that G5 since I do like my old Laser mouse, just not the mmb options.

akademus
03-16-2012, 12:44 AM
I have G5 and quite recently I got Razer Death Adder and the thing is so bloody accurate I have a feeling I can move it pixel by pixel on the screen. It also has great software for finr tuning pretty much all the parameters.