PDA

View Full Version : Just so you know...

shrox
03-14-2012, 11:31 AM
My hard drive died (during backup!!) and I lost pretty much everything. I am going through the forum stealing all the cool stuff I can find to repopulate my new HD.

I have also decided it's OK to use pre-existing models, I don't always have to make my own. Although I had probably 200+ custom ships and NASA stuff, for the cars and other stuff that I lost, I'll probably use some DMI models.

probiner
03-14-2012, 11:36 AM
Been there (on a much smaller scale) and it kinda made me sick to read your words.
Sorry to hear about this.

Wish you a good picking up and adapt process.

glebe digital
03-14-2012, 12:26 PM
“Loss is nothing else but change, and change is nature’s delight”

Marcus Aurelius.

jasonwestmas
03-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Dang man, you go and do the right thing by backing things up and your hard drive decides to die?

zapper1998
03-14-2012, 01:33 PM
I have 3 Network HD's, 2TB ea, I save everything to them..
Main Drive is the 10,000 rpm WD VelociRaptor's, and I have, 1 HD on puter it's a 2TB for data storage...
I have Plenty of storage area..

And I have a Program that tells me the health of HD's on puter, and so far it has warned me prior to failure..
It did pay for it self twice..

and rule of thumb i guess, is every 2 yrs so far I buy a new burner
and I do burn a lot of stuff to DVD

New burner is a LG BlueRay burner, up to 50 gig to burn to...
Have not burned to the BlueRay burner 50gig yet,I have some 50gig disks coming in the mail from newegg,
then i will test the 50 gig disks..

shrox
03-14-2012, 01:38 PM
There is a lot a good stuff now, there is a guy on SketchUp doing NASA stuff that is every bit as good as mine.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/search?uq=1601659553860618556857140&scoring=m

biliousfrog
03-14-2012, 01:51 PM
and rule of thumb i guess, is every 2 yrs so far I buy a new burner
and I do burn a lot of stuff to DVD

New burner is a LG BlueRay burner, up to 50 gig to burn to...
Have not burned to the BlueRay burner 50gig yet,I have some 50gig disks coming in the mail from newegg,
then i will test the 50 gig disks..

Be careful when relying on optical media, they all degrade over time. I've had many DVD's and CD's corrupt after a few years, usually because the dye hasn't been very good. When I burn DVD's I only ever use Taiyo Yuden manufactured discs, they are widely regarded as the most reliable type. I never use optical media for long-term storage though, it's too expensive and unreliable. I just upgrade my HDD's every couple of years and currently have all my critical data saved over 8x RAID discs in two separate devices in two locations plus another two drives in case of failure....plus two data RAID drives per workstation

rcallicotte
03-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Sorry to hear that. It is sad.

Backup is King.

shrox
03-14-2012, 02:27 PM
I was backing up to a new HD in an external case. Now that drive is my new internal...

nomad108
03-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Have you tried any data recovery software? They may get some of your data back.

I lost a drive in January due to mechanical failure. Software couldn't restore any of the data, but I found that, if I waved the drive around, it would keep spinning and I was able to save most of my stuff and increase the girth of my forearm (due to waving the drive around for hours! :oye:)

jasonwestmas
03-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Have you tried any data recovery software? They may get some of your data back.

I lost a drive in January due to mechanical failure. Software couldn't restore any of the data, but I found that, if I waved the drive around, it would keep spinning and I was able to save most of my stuff and increase the girth of my forearm (due to waving the drive around for hours! :oye:)

yeah lol! get that baby spinning with centrifugal force!

probiner
03-14-2012, 03:18 PM
@Nomad
I didn't have that luck, basicly every file in my drive was corrupted:
The folders and files were there but when you tryed to open a file, broken... Funny thing is that I can still use them nowdays. But those files are simply corrupt (ALL OF THEM)
Of course I just use it to expand temporary data that I don't care if I lose.

Philbert
03-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Have you tried sticking it in the freezer?

Mentioned on Tekzilla:
http://revision3.com/tekzilla/grunberg#seek=137:486

When I burn DVD's I only ever use Taiyo Yuden manufactured discs, they are widely regarded as the most reliable type.

I do the same, but you have to watch, Taiyo Yuden is made in Japan and also in China. The ones from China are not nearly as good.

Cryonic
03-14-2012, 10:10 PM
My hard drive died (during backup!!) and I lost pretty much everything. I am going through the forum stealing all the cool stuff I can find to repopulate my new HD.

I have also decided it's OK to use pre-existing models, I don't always have to make my own. Although I had probably 200+ custom ships and NASA stuff, for the cars and other stuff that I lost, I'll probably use some DMI models.

There are places, like Data Doctors, that can recover data from a "dead" drive. They do it by taking the drive apart and reading the platters. It isn't cheap ($1000 or more in some cases), but if all that happened was the mechanical failure of the motor, then all the data is magnetically still intact on the drive.

Andy Meyer
03-14-2012, 10:42 PM
shrox, this is terrible. i'm so sorry.
"Easy Recovery Pro" is the best HD recovery tool i know.
if you have a classic HD, not ssd, you maybe can recover most of you data.

bazsa73
03-14-2012, 11:19 PM
My condolences.

colkai
03-15-2012, 05:47 AM
Be careful when relying on optical media, they all degrade over time. I've had many DVD's and CD's corrupt after a few years, usually because the dye hasn't been very good. When I burn DVD's I only ever use Taiyo Yuden manufactured discs, they are widely regarded as the most reliable type.

Likewise, I have had too many discs go funky after a while, so though they are considerably more expensive than other brands, I trust them implicitly and have, to date, never had a "coaster" from them.

coremi
03-15-2012, 05:57 AM
u can almost always recover data from hdd. Not by yourself but there speciliazed services with specials machines who cand recover everything on you hdd. most of the time is the electronic mb on hdd that fails, so all your data is intact.

kopperdrake
03-15-2012, 07:11 AM
Likewise, I have had too many discs go funky after a while, so though they are considerably more expensive than other brands, I trust them implicitly and have, to date, never had a "coaster" from them.

Same here - when I first saw some discs start peeling their silver coating off, or holes appear in the shape of fingerprints where skin oils must have broken down something, I began backing up on to hard drives, and have not looked back since.

colkai
03-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Ohh man, I figured a perfect way to "destroy" CD's i no longer wanted.
I used to apply labels to 'em, come the day, stick an electricians screwdriver at the edge of the label and of fit came, foil and all, tear up and you're left with a clear CD coaster. :p

Of course, that also meant they were so easy to damage. Now I stick to the "WaterShield" DVD's from T.Y. and all is good. :)

prometheus
03-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Sorry to hear..

Aint that just life thou, get used to it, nothing lasts, some meditation on that might help ease your anxiety.
doing some sandpaintings for some hours and then destroy it, like buddists do:) or model something wonderful and then delete it...uhmm donīt know.

I managed to recover one faulty drive with stellar phoenix windows recovery, the whole hard drive crashed, that is the operativ system and everything on it, and I tried to put that hard drive as a slave next to a new fresh windows install, but the windows system couldnīt recognize it as a hard drive from windows, but starting the stellar phoenix software recovery did manage to do that..
so I managed to extract out an image of the hard drive and then manually recover folders by folders.

Put your drive away safely, until you find a recovery software and try put it in as a slave and run a recovery.
You can download a demo wich will show you if you can rescue them.

http://www.stellarinfo.com/windows-data-recovery.php

Michael

dsol
03-17-2012, 12:57 PM
I highly recommend setting up a RAID. For lower budgets, RAID-1 (two mirrored disks) is relatively cheap. But having a hardware RAID card that supports RAID-5 is by far the best option. You can use it to set up a big pool of redundant storage.

Losing data is truly a horrible thing!

Wolvy_UK
03-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Don' t know if you've tried any recovery programs yet, but here' s a few suggestions recommended on my ISP' s forums by customers.

the first 1 is free but only allows 1gb of recovered files. http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/download.htm

This one is also free but does' nt mention recovery limit http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

I' ve never used these so don't know what they are like, but it' s worth a go for free. Just make sure you use them on a different disk to the broken one so you don't copy over data.

Philbert
03-17-2012, 03:02 PM
I usually get my media from CDRDVDRMedia.com Here they have Taiyo Yuden silver DVDr's for 34 cents each in a 100 pack:
http://www.cdrdvdrmedia.com/taiyo-yuden-16x-dvd-r-media-silver-thermal.html

Fastest way I've found to destroy a CD/DVD is to stick it in a ziplock bag, then in the microwave for 2 or 3 seconds. the foil arcs and makes it completely unreadable.
http://www.wikihow.com/Microwave-a-CD

Greenlaw
03-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Ugh! That's always a tragic thing to hear. Went through something almost as bad many years ago and ever since then I maintain redundant backups--at least two physical backup drives for everything, and I usually keep one backup at another location in case something awful happens at home. Thank goodness drives are 'cheap' these days.

Hope you can get up and running soon.

Greenlaw
03-17-2012, 03:49 PM
As for pre-existing models: I model all my custom 'hero' objects but for everything else I try find pre-existing models, free or for purchase. As long as you are authorized to use the third party content, why not? It saves you time and lets you focus on more creative stuff.

For example, my most recently purchased model was a toilet. Yup, a toilet. Sounds simple but a good looking toilet would actually take me a bit of time to create and I can't say I was terribly enthusiastic about doing this myself, especially since I also need several custom designed objects that I want to build. So I did a quick search and found exactly the toilet I needed for about $30. In my situation, $30 was a bargain, especially since it will be used as a major prop in our film. :)

G.