PDA

View Full Version : Surface OBJ Sequence: LightWave 10

BlueApple
03-14-2012, 08:35 AM
I have an obj sequence that needs to be surfaced somehow.

Previously (prior to LW10) I had used splotchdog’s plugin to surface my sequence, but the plugin doesn’t seem to be designed to work with LW 10. Any alternate methods out there? I read someone suggest to export an MDD, but I can’t find the MD_Scan plugin and don’t know if that would even solve my surfacing dilemma. Is there a way to convert the obj sequence to an lwo sequence and batch surface the lwo files?

Sensei
03-14-2012, 09:16 AM
Load all objects in empty scene. Edit one surface. Then use TrueArt's SpreadSurface from website http://www.trueart.pl

Or you can use TrueGroup node
http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/TrueGroup

Make group with Storage File, Material output connect to Surface's Material input. Spread such surface to all objects. Save them all.

Then edit one group, and all objects in sequence will have automatically the same material used.
But if you want different material in different frames, you should envelope Material Multi Switch/Mixer inside of TrueGroup editor and done.

RebelHill
03-14-2012, 09:27 AM
If all objects have the same surface name... just load them all into layout at once, and in the surface editor, change the mode to "scene"

BlueApple
03-14-2012, 10:27 AM
Thanks to both of you for your responses.

SpreadSurface looks good, but I couldn't get it to work with an obj sequence. TrueGroup may work, but I need to get my boss to part with $30 first.

I ended up loading all of the obj files into Layout at once and used the method RebelHill suggested. After changing the surfaces, saving all objects, and then reloading the first object in the sequence, everything was good to go.

Cyberfish_Fred
01-31-2017, 03:00 AM
Thanks to both of you for your responses.

SpreadSurface looks good, but I couldn't get it to work with an obj sequence. TrueGroup may work, but I need to get my boss to part with $30 first.

I ended up loading all of the obj files into Layout at once and used the method RebelHill suggested. After changing the surfaces, saving all objects, and then reloading the first object in the sequence, everything was good to go.

I want to use the surface material and edges definitions (outlines) from object 0 for all other frames / objects....

Help!

Every4thPixel
01-31-2017, 03:14 AM
You should create a new thread for this. You just revived a thread from 2012.

spherical
02-01-2017, 10:58 PM
Who cares about how old the thread is when it is about the same topic? All in one place is better than generating a duplicate thread.

MonroePoteet
02-02-2017, 06:04 PM
I want to use the surface material and edges definitions (outlines) from object 0 for all other frames / objects....

Help!

You can copy-and-paste Surfaces in the Surface editor. If you bring up the Surface editor (F5), and change the "Edit by" pulldown to be Scene, all the Surfaces in the scene will be listed regardless of which Object they belong to. Select the Surface you want to apply to all of them, right-click and select Copy. Then, select the first Surface in the list, hold down SHIFT and select the last Surface (selecting them all), right-click on any of them and select "Paste". They will all now have the same Surface.

NOTE HOWEVER, that if you Save any Objects, it will overwrite the on-disk object with the pasted surface!

Unfortunately, you can't copy-and-paste the Edges panel. However, you can get into Scene Editor (CTRL-F1), select all the Objects using a combination of CTRL-click (to select independent Objects) or SHIFT-click (to select ranges of Objects), then press "p" to bring up the Properties panel. When you set the Edges to your liking, they will have been set on all the selected Objects.

mTp