PDA

View Full Version : Rigging question...

Simon-S
03-14-2012, 08:24 AM
Hi,

I have a mountaineer character that has a coil of rope draped diagonally across his body (over his shoulder and around his waist) and I'm wondering how best to set this up in my rig.

I have tried putting the rope in the same layer as the character and giving it the relevant weight maps for the shoulder/body, but when the character bends forwards the rope has unwanted distortions and deformations.

What I'd like is to have the rope move with his body but not to stretch or scale. I little stretching is fine but I'd like the rope to maintain its volume if possible.

Right now when the character raises his harm up the rope squashes and looks very odd.

I'd also like to avoid having to use dynamics.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

RebelHill
03-14-2012, 08:36 AM
Well... only 2 main ways, dynamics or bones. With dynamics you could just use a very simple strip/loop of polys and metalink the rope geo after. With bones u'd just create 2-3 bones (each side of the character) inside the rope itself... root at the shoulder, goal at the waist, parent into the character rig hierarchy as appropriate and let IK do its thing.

Simon-S
03-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Right thanks. Metalink looks like the way to go.

Cheers.

Simon-S
03-15-2012, 04:03 AM
OK I tried the metalink method...actually I didn't get as far as to use meta-link.

I set up a 2point poly chain with a fixed selection set at the shoulder point, set the character as a collision object and applied cloth fx to my poly chain.

I hit calculate and the poly chain ignores the collision object and travels right through it??

I cant seem to make the dynamics work...any ideas?

RebelHill
03-15-2012, 04:40 AM
dont use poly chains... use strips.