PDA

View Full Version : FiberFX - load items from scene problem

SaturnX
03-12-2012, 03:13 PM
A headsup.

If you have fiberFX nicely setup, and you then load items from scene...
Your original FiberFX settings will be erased. Adding FiberFX after loading items from scene will bring up the 'Can't find specified server' error message. When you reload the scene and re-add FiberFX, it will be clean and all original settings will be lost.

Anyone know an alternative way to import a camera and it's data into Lightwave outside of saving and loading all individual channels?

Greenlaw
03-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Hi,

I just tried this in LW 11 and it seems to be working for me. Just so we're on the same page:

1. I created a scene and randomly repositioned the camera from the default location. This will be my LFS camera for later.

2. I created a new scene. Next, I loaded a torus as my test object and applied FiberFilter. I fiddle with the FFX settings just to change the defaults. The I framed the torus and pressed F9 to check the results. Saved the scene.

3. Next I used Load Items From Scene and selected the first scene with repositioned camera. Clicked the Select None button and then clicked the Camera. Clicked Load.

4. Second camera appears in scene. Made sure the first camera was still selected and pressed F9 to check FFX results...results look the same as before LFS. Checked FFX settings...custom settings persisted.

Just wondering, was your scene created from scratch in LW 11 or in a previous version of LW? FFX scenes from previous versions (especially 9.6) may not work reliably with the latest FFX. Another thing to consider: configs from previous Lightwave versions may not be fully compatible with LW 11--it's always recommended that you start with clean configs when upgrading Lightwave.

Hope this helps.

G.

SaturnX
03-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Hey G,

Sorry, I should have mentioned in my first post, I'm back on LW10.1 !

SaturnX
03-12-2012, 06:20 PM
I had render issues with fiberFX and HDR rendering in LW11.
The main issue I had was having consistant white dot artifacts in and around edge areas, only when fiberFX was active I might add... it was very friustrating being forced to go back to 10, LW11 is nicer to work with.

If I get time, I'll make a post on the rendering problems I have with LW11.

Currently, LW10.1 is doing a good job.

Greenlaw
03-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Okay. I'll check if 10.1 is doing this here. To confirm what you otherwise say about 10.1, yeah, FFX was mostly working well for me when I was testing it. I've posted info elsewhere about a few issues I ran into with the new motion vector output but I think they may get fixed in SP1 for 11.

I haven't done much FFX testing in 11 yet...that round is coming up for me soon. Right now I'm busy checking out other features.

SaturnX
03-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Did a test in LW11.
Loading items from scene, didn't affect fiberfx.

I might use v11 to import the camera etc then go back to 10.1 for rendering etc

Greenlaw
03-13-2012, 11:37 AM
I'm running into problems getting a scene set up with FFX in LW 11 FFX to work with 10.1, so this might not work. First, it appears to load but FiberFilter wasn't accessible. Then I saved the scene in 10.1 and tried to reload, but the scene now crashes. My guess is that there is just enough difference that FFX for LW 11 is not backwards compatible. (Not too surprising since FFX is still in development. Of course, this may change (or not) when SP1 comes out.)

How's it going for you?

Greenlaw
03-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Okay, I just did a fresh setup in LW 10.1 and here are the results:

After importing a camera with Load Items From Scene, my custom FFX settings are persisting. Just to be sure, I tried loading several cameras from various scenes and the settings are still unaffected. For me, anyway, this seems to be working correctly in LW 10.1 (as well as in LW 11).

Just wondering what happens if you rebuild your configs from scratch. (Be sure to backup your current configs first.)

Hope this helps.

SaturnX
03-30-2012, 08:26 AM
Hi G,

I've been getting caught up with maya related stuff the past week or so, only getting back into this lightwave work again now :D

I'm using LW11 'full time' currently.
I'm able to import items from scene with no problems with v11, and so far (touch wood) fiberFX has been behaving itself...

Thanks again for all your help previously, it was really helpful and appreciated !

Greenlaw
03-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Glad to help! Keep us informed of your progress. I'm finally using FFX in 11 myself. :)

G.

Surrealist.
03-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Did a test in LW11.
Loading items from scene, didn't affect fiberfx.

I might use v11 to import the camera etc then go back to 10.1 for rendering etc

I am not sure what your settings were. But I have seen some artifacts using the Volume option. It may or may not have anything to do with what you are experiencing.