PDA

View Full Version : Turn Off Expression

fram
03-12-2012, 08:09 AM
Hello all, i'm new to the forum, alwais here but i never registered..until today.

I'm rigging a character and what i try to do is turn off an expression, without using the panel on the graph editor.
With a quick search i've found a similar thread but without a clear answer..

I've some bones with a Pitch constrain controlled by an expression, i would like to turn off the expression and control the bones Pitch in fk.
Something like a switch EXP/FK

I've try also with a subexpression with selector function but nothing.. if you add an expression to a channel, that channel will be remain locked.

I've seen in maya there is something similar, but i don't know how to recreate it.

Any tip is appreciated,
thank you:)

RebelHill
03-12-2012, 09:04 AM
You want to switch between the values that the expression is delivering.. and the key'd values.

Couple of approaches... U can have one item that always under expression control, a duplicate thats under FK control, and set up a same as item constraint to match the second to the first (when ur wanting expression ON).

Alternatively, U can do it within the expression itself... This will require the addition of a reference channel (a null, master chan, etc)... lets call this "REFCHAN" (and assume it goes from 0-1).. lets also assume uve got ur expression text already... we'll call this "YourExp"...

So ur expression would go...

mapRange([REFCHAN],0,1,[YourExp],Value)

Value being whatever keyframe value has been applied.

Then... when your REFCHAN is at 0... Ull get the YourExp in effect, when its at 1, you'll get the keyframed Value returned.

fram
03-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Thank you a lot RebellHill, great info, i'll try this. :beerchug: