PDA

View Full Version : Illustrations for April's Tatler magazine

biliousfrog
03-11-2012, 04:09 AM
Here are some illustrations which were produced for this month's Tatler.

The brief was quite straight forward, a dollshouse (with a photo reference) in standard finish and also made from camouflage material and a Starbucks style cup with a crest, "It's Lord Actually" text and the crest in chocolate sprinkles on top.

All work was carried out in Lightwave 10.1 with some tweaks in Photoshop. The coffee 'top' was simply two photographs, one of a frothy cappuccino top and another covered in cocoa powder with a mask to create the crest.

My client was Octagon Computer Graphics.

Tartiflette
03-11-2012, 04:55 AM
Superb work here, Steve.
I like both renders, the dollhouse in standard material being just brilliant. :)

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette :)

skype6
03-11-2012, 07:43 AM
Nice!! Realy like the dollshouse:)

kopperdrake
03-11-2012, 05:54 PM
Nice work :thumbsup:

Did you 'wonkify' the camoflage dolls house in photoshop?

biliousfrog
03-12-2012, 02:16 AM
Nice work :thumbsup:

Did you 'wonkify' the camoflage dolls house in photoshop?

No, just a simple procedural displacement:)

kopperdrake
03-12-2012, 05:06 AM
Cool - a fair amount of geometry in there then :)

lardbros
03-12-2012, 06:53 AM
Really, really nice work there Bilious!! Love the coffee cup, it's very convincing indeed... actually, they look even nicer in context of the magazine! Great work!! (Keep looking at it, and love it more the longer I look at it.) Such a simple idea, but both work brilliantly.

(Oh, and it came about recently, not sure how it did, but I work with someone who knows you from Lowestoft. Mike Vokes :) ) Such a small world! Think he said you introduced him to LW years ago, but he took on 3dsmax. How odd!!

biliousfrog
03-12-2012, 07:17 AM
Really, really nice work there Bilious!! Love the coffee cup, it's very convincing indeed... actually, they look even nicer in context of the magazine! Great work!! (Keep looking at it, and love it more the longer I look at it.) Such a simple idea, but both work brilliantly.

(Oh, and it came about recently, not sure how it did, but I work with someone who knows you from Lowestoft. Mike Vokes :) ) Such a small world! Think he said you introduced him to LW years ago, but he took on 3dsmax. How odd!!

Thanks for the comments and, yes, I know Mr Vokes :D How strange! Say Hi for me, I haven't seen him in ages...we need to arrange another jam when he's here next, his keyboard and vocal skills are legendary :D

djwaterman
03-12-2012, 10:31 PM
The two magazine images would be a great little addition to the Lightwave website under the 'Print" section.

vector
03-13-2012, 03:46 AM
Suddenly, I need to have a coffee... so very nice work :)

Vector

lardbros
03-13-2012, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the comments and, yes, I know Mr Vokes :D How strange! Say Hi for me, I haven't seen him in ages...we need to arrange another jam when he's here next, his keyboard and vocal skills are legendary :D

Ha, I've heard about his legendary keyboard skills! :) Also saw a black and white photo of him in a band, complete with his mullet and leather jacket! Awesome!

Oh, and definitely get this sent to the Newtek gallery... they're in need of stuff like this!

allabulle
03-13-2012, 10:48 AM
I like both renders too. Especially the house's one. Great work!

And I agree: they should be in the gallery. Both.

biliousfrog
03-14-2012, 05:35 AM
Thanks for all the comments :)

Oh, and definitely get this sent to the Newtek gallery... they're in need of stuff like this!

Where is the NewTek gallery? I notice that there's now a LW11 gallery as well as this gallery, but there's another one too? I don't have a problem with NT using anything I post publicly, I just assumed that they used what's in the Lightwave gallery? :stumped:

lardbros
03-14-2012, 06:26 AM
Thanks for all the comments :)

Where is the NewTek gallery? I notice that there's now a LW11 gallery as well as this gallery, but there's another one too? I don't have a problem with NT using anything I post publicly, I just assumed that they used what's in the Lightwave gallery? :stumped:

Hmmm, they've updated the site and it no longer works. (no issue really, it's always been very iregularly updated anyway) but just email chuck in here and see where you email gallery images. Would be good to start getting some print ones in as this area was lacking, along with a few others.

Waves of light
03-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Really like the material on the camo dolls house and how the stitching works. Hopefully this will make it to the gallery.

davo.lwo
04-04-2012, 03:58 AM
lovely stuff

ArtGoblin
04-04-2012, 06:16 AM
Very pro stuff there... love your design on the camoflage texture design on the house as well :) and yes, Newtek should really put this into there gallerysection.... now on that subject, are there any clear guidelines for how they pick their gallery material, and from where?