PDA

View Full Version : Jean Giraud (Moebius) has passed away

alexos
03-10-2012, 06:25 AM
Bugger.

ADP.

djwaterman
03-10-2012, 06:52 AM
A hero from my teen years. His imaginings were like the sophisticated digital effects and art direction of today but done with pen and ink, and really transported you into another seemingly authentic reality. What were the circumstances?

Greenlaw
03-10-2012, 07:01 AM
Ever since my teen years Moebius/Gir's drawings and comics have been very influential on my own work. This is a sad day for me.

Greenlaw
03-10-2012, 07:02 AM
What were the circumstances?
Cancer. He was 73.

G.

jasonwestmas
03-10-2012, 08:08 AM
Yeah that guy's work is quite amazing!

Celshader
03-10-2012, 08:29 AM
Cancer. He was 73.

G.

I'm sorry to hear this. I've loved Moebius' work and sense of design ever since I saw it as a teenager.

My first job out here was at a company that had hired him to design another project. One day he visited the studio while I was working there. He graciously signed autographs for his many fans at the studio. He also drew this in my sketchbook:

http://lore.greeblegraphics.com/wp-content/gallery/giftart-other/moebius.gif

His art inspires me whenever I look at it.

bobakabob
03-10-2012, 08:57 AM
A true genius and inspiration.

Greenlaw
03-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Nice one Jen! Thanks for sharing that.

I don't have any of his art to share but here's a quick ArtRage sketch I did for my old doodle blog a few years ago:

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=102481&stc=1&d=1331398943

I don't think I was thinking 'Moebius' when I was doodling it but it sort of wandered into that territory anyway.

G.

omichon
03-10-2012, 10:09 AM
Also part of my inspiration since I was a teenager. I had the chance to meet him a few years ago. I was impressed by his humility and curiosity. For sure, a master is gone.

Greenlaw
03-10-2012, 10:14 AM
It's all about the hats, isn't it?

You guys are so lucky...wish I had the chance to meet him.

jeric_synergy
03-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Ahhh crud, that's sad news. His was a unique vision.

And so wonderfully French! RIP

KurtF
03-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Samurai astronaut suits from the original Alien, pure Moebius! He will be missed.

probiner
03-10-2012, 06:36 PM
:(

kadri
03-10-2012, 09:31 PM
As a comics artist i liked him the most probably .
I remember the time i read the first Lieutenant Blueberry so good in the late sixties . I liked his style instantly.
It was a nice feeling when i learned later that Moebius was himself too.I bought some Heavy Metal magazines only because of his drawings in it . Sad day :(

metahumanity
03-11-2012, 12:07 AM
Best and most imaginative comic designer ever.

HeŽll be missed.

dblincoe
03-11-2012, 01:28 AM
=(

prometheus
03-11-2012, 02:00 PM
=(

Damn that cancer..his work will surely live on for decades,along with his inspiration.

I Heard of him when I read my first heavy metal magazine.
A great Illustrator and concept artist involved in some of these movies..
fifth element,alien,tron, the abyss
Thanks for the work moebius..where ever you are.

Michael

Greenlaw
03-11-2012, 02:31 PM
Yeah, Heavy Metal was where I first found him, specifically 'The Airtight Garage of Jerry Cornelius". But I think "The Black Incal" was where I really fell in love with his work. Later I discovered Blueberry and all other work that was hard to find in the States.

Man, now I want to go read all that stuff again. I have a lot of his work in trade paperback format when it was collected by Marvel many years ago, but I hope (expect?) they will be reissued in hardcover now.

G.

LW_Will
03-11-2012, 05:16 PM
I was shocked when I found out yesterday.

I worked in a comic book store in the 80's and I discovered Moebius in Heavy Metal. And then I saw his illustrations/designs for Tron in Starlog.

With the passing of Ralph McQuarrie and Moebius in the same week is very depressing for me.

;-(

They will be missed...

GregMalick
03-11-2012, 10:24 PM
This is crushing news... I could cry...

shrox
03-11-2012, 10:29 PM
I was shocked when I found out yesterday.

I worked in a comic book store in the 80's and I discovered Moebius in Heavy Metal. And then I saw his illustrations/designs for Tron in Starlog.

With the passing of Ralph McQuarrie and Moebius in the same week is very depressing for me.

;-(

They will be missed...

Starlog is gone too...

Greenlaw
03-12-2012, 04:08 AM
Starlog. :)

safetyman
03-12-2012, 05:15 AM
He is the reason I have a large Heavy Metal collection :)

A sad time indeed.

johnliebler
03-12-2012, 07:27 AM
I've got a big box of Starlogs in the closet. It's like a time capsule to explain to my kids what it was like to be a geek before the internet.

It seems like it would be totally aesthetically appropriate to re-read all those old Moebius comics on an Ipad. While wearing a ridiculously tall hat. of course. :)

LW_Will
03-13-2012, 02:53 AM
Starlog is gone too...

Yes... but I broke up with Starlog in the early 80's over ET.

Basically, they had an issue (about 4-6 months later) that was packed with ET info. In the issue, they said that Universal had embargoed them on the coverage and we should boycott them, or write them letters or something. I realized that they had been put in the line with everybody else, but when they had the coverage from Universal they ran with it. We weren't forced to miss the coverage (we could get it else where) but STARLOG missed getting our money for the several months.

Made me a bit more cynical...

But, I did see illustrations through Starlog and other mags from Moebius and McQuarry.

jeric_synergy
03-14-2012, 12:10 PM
While it's regrettable, greatly, one can hardly be "shocked" when a 73 year old man passes away.

At 73, I'll be surprised to wake up each day.

Iain
03-16-2012, 03:45 PM
The influence and legacy he passed on speaks for itself.
You only have to look at Blade Runner, Studio Ghibli and current comic book stars like Frank Quitely to find it, a measured but unprecise style. Superheroes without washboard abs and colour used to add detail.

The drawing posted by celshader could be easily copied but, as anyone who has ever put pen to paper will testify, very difficult to produce.

Nemoid
03-17-2012, 08:08 AM
Very nice thumbler where you can find a whole lot of Jean Giraud Moebius production both signed as Moebius and Gir. Enjoy ! :thumbsup:

http://theairtightgarage.tumblr.com/

Greenlaw
03-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Nice find! Thanks for sharing that. :thumbsup:

ianr
04-05-2012, 05:47 AM
A Master of the clean,swept line in drawing.

" " of the Uncluttered page,and bold 'japonasse' color.

Always comfortable on the eye, I will miss his undrawn worlds