PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave and Poser - Working together?

Paul_Boland
03-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Hi Folks.

I have Lightwave 10 and Poser 8 and I want to do some 3D scenes with people in them. The question is, can I? I've been doing some testing for about a week now and I can't seem to get these packages to work together.

Getting Poser characters into Lightwave seems to be a complete no go! No matter what file format I save the characters as, they come into Lightwave all grey, not textured, and in some cases the models have bits missing.

Going the other way, taking props, tables, chairs, objects, etc., into Poser gives a bit of better results. I can save an object as DFX and get that into Poser (I need to flip the polygons to get them in correctly) but once in Poser I can't seem to change the origin (Poser's pivot point) of imported objects but this might be because I don't know Poser too good, but I do know how to access the Origin controls yet still no joy :(.

I'm happy to work either way; either Poser characters brought into Lightwave or Lightwave objects brought into Poser, but what's the best way to go? Any suggestions appreciated.

wesleycorgi
03-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Pick up Daz3D Studio Pro while it's free: http://www.daz3d.com/

Then check out this thread: http://forums.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125710

roboman
03-09-2012, 10:42 PM
Getting Poser characters into Lightwave seems to be a complete no go! No matter what file format I save the characters as, they come into Lightwave all grey, not textured, and in some cases the models have bits missing.

In the OBJ format, they have the texture mapping all set up just like it was in Poser, all you need to do is assign the proper texture to that texture map once the model has been brought into Lightwave.

Also, if you set all the joints to 0 in poser, then save the character as an obj and also save out a bvh you get the same bone setup you had in poser. Make a few sliders and they even work about the same :)

I just did a character exported from DAZ Studio that way and have done a bunch exported from Poser 5. Maybe things have changed some where between poser 5 and 8.... Works fine with DAZ Studio 3/4/4pro.

I also do a bunch of face morphs in poser/daz save the models and bring them into Lightwave as morph targets. Vicky has done a bunch of product demo videos for me, since the early days of poser and lightwave.....

nomad108
03-10-2012, 03:19 AM
Do you have Poser Fusion For Lightwave installed? You can open your Poser scene directly in Lightwave with that and everything works great.

If you don't have Poser Fusion, there is always the Poser to Lightwave Kit. It takes a little more work, but does a good job, too.

Afalk
03-10-2012, 04:28 AM
Plus if you can find it Greenbriar studios has/had an excellent set of Poser loaders (rigging and morphs included) to bring Poser stuff into LW 8 ! :D

wesleycorgi
03-10-2012, 09:04 AM
Since getting Daz3D Studio a month ago, I've been using people in all my projects. With Genesis, I can relatively/easily use all my Poset assets since version 5.

Then the FBX support is great on both sides. Although it is still a bit of tweaking in LW though. If you want to stay in Poser, the easiest route is upgrading to the Pro Version, which works seamlessly with th LW Poser Fusion plug-in.

Paul_Boland
03-10-2012, 11:58 AM
WOW!! Thanks for all the feedback, so many options to explore here. I'll get back to yous as soon as I check them out. Much appreciated!!

DigitalSorcery8
03-10-2012, 12:42 PM
If you would rather work in LW, the best thing to do (as roboman suggested) is to export the character out of Poser in the OBJ format. You can do as he suggested if you plan or want to use BVH motion files to animate the character - or you can bone the character in LW using either skelegons in Modeler OR bones directly in Layout OR get something like Maestro (http://www.stillwaterpictures.com/maestro/) where you can more easily create a good rig OR use RHiggit (http://rebelhill.net/html/rhiggit) which is also a great product.

Unfortunately I believe you need the pro version if you want to animate in Poser and easily export to Lightwave - the Fusion plugin for LW easily allows Poser animation into LW. Personally I would recommend the option above where you export via OBJ and bone using RHiggit. I believe that there is a free version of RHiggit that you can try first.

Here is the Greenbriar plugin page: http://www.greenbriarstudio.com/3D/ (Though these are VERY old and I'm not sure if he supports them any more.)

Paul_Boland
03-17-2012, 02:10 PM
I said I'd get back to yous with a report. Sorry about the delay but I'm back at college and it's eating into my time (but if it helps me land a job I'm not complaining!!).

After testing out a number of options mentioned above, I found getting Poser models into Lightwave was a complete nightmare! I don't own Poser Pro, I own Poser 8 so I don't have the Poser Fusion mentioned above. I did try manually adding the textures but the work was intensive.

Another problem I had was hair. Poser hair doesn't come with the models and trying to make Sasquatch work with the Poser models seems to be a complete no go.

It's a shame the interchange between the two packages is only part of Poser Pro :(...

Anyway, after some additional testing on my part I think I've finally hit success. I have managed to get Lightwave models into Poser but it's tricky... I save out my Lightwave objects as DFX. These load into Poser fine, just have to make sure that the Flip Polygons option is turned on or they come in inside-out!

A big problem I was having was positioning the Pivot Point (It's called Origin in Poser). Whenever I moved it, my whole model was moving with it!?!?!?! Eventually I discovered that positioning the Pivot Point has to be BEFORE you scale the object. I was originally bringing in my objects, scaling to size, and then positioning the pivot point. When you do this, the whole model seems to affected by the moving pivot point, it's nuts! But posiitoning the pivot point first and then scaling works perfectly.

Pro's of working Lightwave to Poser:
1. Poser hair.
2. Poser models are rigged and have controls on them.

Con's of working Lightwave to Poser:
1. Poser renderer is not as fast as Lightwaves.
2. Tricky process of getting objects into Poser.
3. Not as familiar with Poser as I am with Lightwave.

So overall I'm happy. Appreciate the input above, thanks!

DigitalSorcery8
03-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Poser models into Lightwave was a complete nightmare! I don't own Poser Pro, I own Poser 8 so I don't have the Poser Fusion mentioned above. I did try manually adding the textures but the work was intensive.
Getting Poser models into LW with textures is NO PROBLEM. If you create a folder (for example) named PoserExport and place the Poser OBJ there when you export it, you also need to copy/paste ALL of the textures that the Poser models calls for into the very same folder. Then when Lightwave asks for the textures you can easily locate them. After that it's just clicking or hitting enter a few dozen times rather than looking for the correct textures each time LW asks for them. And then you'll probably need to go into the Surfaces panel and select ALL surfaces, zero out the brightness and make the diffuse 100%. For Spec I would recommend putting it at zero and then going through each surface to find out how you want it.

I have NEVER had a problem getting Poser OBJ's into LW with their textures.

Another problem I had was hair. Poser hair doesn't come with the models and trying to make Sasquatch work with the Poser models seems to be a complete no go.
Some Poser hair does - standard "prop hair" can be exported. Of course if you're talking about the "strand hair," no, that doesn't export. It would be great if it did since it would make great guide hairs for Sasquatch or FFX.

wesleycorgi
03-17-2012, 05:03 PM
FYI:

Your Four Leaf Clover: 50% OFF the Entire Smith Micro Store!

We're celebrating St. Patrick's day with a big sale at Smith Micro's online store. Get 50% off all software titles from now until Sunday, March 18th. Simply use the coupon code: HOWLUCKY4U at checkout.

If you're interested, they have a sidegrade (Poser to Poser Pro). So instead of $249, it would be $125.

Sekhar
03-18-2012, 12:11 AM
FYI:

Your Four Leaf Clover: 50% OFF the Entire Smith Micro Store!

We're celebrating St. Patrick's day with a big sale at Smith Micro's online store. Get 50% off all software titles from now until Sunday, March 18th. Simply use the coupon code: HOWLUCKY4U at checkout.

If you're interested, they have a sidegrade (Poser to Poser Pro). So instead of $249, it would be $125.

Just tried it (for Poser Pro -> Poser Pro 2012), but it says the coupon is expired.

Philbert
03-18-2012, 02:09 AM
Wish I had scene this thread a couple of days ago, I just re-rigged a character from scratch. Luckily I didn't need the textures for this on.

Greenlaw
03-18-2012, 03:41 AM
I just tried to coupon code and it worked for me: Got the upgrade for Poser Pro 2012 for $99! Didn't plan to upgrade but this was a deal I couldn't pass up.

The coupon is supposed to be good through the 18th (Sunday.)

G.

wesleycorgi
03-18-2012, 03:43 AM
Just tried it (for Poser Pro -> Poser Pro 2012), but it says the coupon is expired.

Hmmm, I just used a few minutes ago to pick up Anime Studio Pro and Poser Pro 2012 (like Greenlaw, didn't intend to upgrade).

I'm pretty happy having picked up Daz3D Studio. But I just saw a Youtube vid of how you can move some of the Genesis stuff (including morphs) over to Poser. All my good clothing assets are in Poser and it's a bit tricky converting certain items (others are pretty Daz friendly though). Also, I'm hoping that my import from Daz then Poser>Poser Fusion will eliminate some of the hoops I'm jumping through to get transparencies and UV textures in LW.

Greenlaw
03-18-2012, 04:48 AM
No, I got the same code in my email. That makes me wonder if you need to be on their mailing list.

Sekhar
03-18-2012, 08:58 AM
Actually, I just tried again, and the coupon worked. Go figure.

Paul_Boland
03-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Getting Poser models into LW with textures is NO PROBLEM. If you create a folder (for example) named PoserExport and place the Poser OBJ there when you export it, you also need to copy/paste ALL of the textures that the Poser models calls for into the very same folder. Then when Lightwave asks for the textures you can easily locate them. After that it's just clicking or hitting enter a few dozen times rather than looking for the correct textures each time LW asks for them. And then you'll probably need to go into the Surfaces panel and select ALL surfaces, zero out the brightness and make the diffuse 100%. For Spec I would recommend putting it at zero and then going through each surface to find out how you want it.

I have NEVER had a problem getting Poser OBJ's into LW with their textures.

I must be doing something wrong because when I follow these instructions all I get is a grey man and Lightwave doesn't ask me for the textures!?!?!? LOL!!!

As for the coupon, thanks for highlighting but I am trying to save up for my upgrade to Lightwave 11 so can't afford to make the jump to Poser Pro at the moment in time.

DigitalSorcery8
03-18-2012, 02:38 PM
I must be doing something wrong because when I follow these instructions all I get is a grey man and Lightwave doesn't ask me for the textures!?!?!? LOL!!!
Are you exporting OBJs (Wavefront OBJ) and NOT LWO files? LWO export out of Poser is poor to say the least - it does not export the UV's or textures.

manholoz
03-18-2012, 03:34 PM
I find the main hurdle for communicating between Poser and Lightwave is that the way each handles materials can cause some unexpected results. It is best to keep the material settings simple when you want to export from one to the other. And, remember to have ANY bitmap in the Diffuse channel when you export as obj in order for the UVs to export.
I do have Poser Pro so I get to use Poserfusion, but still, if you're going to render in Lightwave, you don't need a complex node tree in Poser's material tree. It can confuse Poserfusion when translating materials.
I just wish there was a simple way to handle Poser's hair strands inside Lightwave.

Paul_Boland
03-18-2012, 05:25 PM
Yes, I am using OBJ files. See attached screenshot. Lightwave doesn't prompt me for the textures, I just get a grey man?!?

Philbert
03-18-2012, 05:43 PM
Looking at the difference between Manga Studio Debut and EX. I've been watching / reading too much Bakuman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakuman).

DigitalSorcery8
03-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Yes, I am using OBJ files. See attached screenshot. Lightwave doesn't prompt me for the textures, I just get a grey man?!?

Perhaps it has something to do with the Discovery edition? Or maybe the fact I'm on 9.6 instead of 10.1? Very strange. I can honestly say I've NEVER had problems with UV's and textures exporting OBJs from Poser and importing into LW. Are the UV's being exported?

Paul_Boland
03-18-2012, 08:09 PM
My dongle is attached to my desktop PC at the moment, I'm working on my laptop right now. Tried it with the dongle attached, didn't make any difference. If I go into Surface Editor, all the body parts are listed, just no textures applied. I don't know how to check for the export of the UV's. I had a look in Poser and I can't see any options related to exporting the UV's. I tried messing with the export options but no joy.

Never mind, I'm happy enough to work in Poser. Thanks for the continued input.

DigitalSorcery8
03-18-2012, 08:16 PM
I don't know how to check for the export of the UV's.

In LW modeler, at the bottom right where you've got W, T, M, C, S - click on the T for texture and click on the down arrow to the right. If the UV was exported from Poser it would be visible here. To SEE the UV texture, you can click on any of the window views (ie. top, front, back, etc.) and select UV Texture and it will show the UV - IF one was exported/imported into LW.

manholoz
03-18-2012, 09:27 PM
One other thing, are you importing the obj from the runtime folder, or doing a File>Export Wavefront Obj ?