PDA

View Full Version : Small Web Page Update

Chuck
03-09-2012, 03:53 PM
The Web Page is getting a few changes today. There is not a big change in the format, but some of the content is being replaced, and there is now a "Solutions" page that leads the user into the product information, in addition to the traditional product pages. Aspects are still under construction, and new content will be added progressively as it is prepared and ready.

There's more info in the Sticky post here:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=126525

50one
03-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Sounds great, good to hear that website is getting some lovin'.

Andrewstopheles
03-09-2012, 04:16 PM
I see where this is going. Looks like a good start.

ArtGoblin
03-09-2012, 07:04 PM
off to a good start :)

prometheus
03-11-2012, 08:29 AM
The web page is looking better day by day.:thumbsup:

I really like it now, and some new banners showcasing ironsky on the main page is looking good, that one needs to be at the lightwave page too, under 3d animation but that might be planned under case studies.

I could think of a little more emphasis on these links under 3d animation might be left out and forgotten to be clicked on since they are quite identical to just description text wich follows on the page..highlighting them a little or changing style of fonts Bolder or something, or make the back different color and switch those fontīs to white maybe.
The important thing is that they are more recognized as clickable buttons/links.

* Television
* Feature Film
* Design
* Arch / Vis
* Print Graphics
* Games & Software

Michael

kopperdrake
03-11-2012, 05:15 PM
Even cooler is that you have it default to a mobile version for the iPad, nice touch :)

Bliz
03-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Looking good so far.
I hope the [9.5/6] tutorials are placed somewhere on the site again.

I know they now live on lightwiki but that site has been down all weekend. The tutorial section is back up but lists no tutorials (?)

Andy Meyer
03-12-2012, 03:37 AM
imho:
too much non-LW stuff on the LW site. TriCaster and 3Play all over the place in the site footer. it is clearly visible that LW is just a minor side product for NT. not enough visual stuff (images) on the lw frontpage.
i like "LightWave - Features" and "LightWave - Gallery" sites.

solutions / 3d animation:
before clicking side menu, there is almost only text... not very visual.

the Arch/Viz section shows a product design, not archViz. this is not good. most archViz guys say max is only solution for archViz. and NT proofs that by demonstration that archViz does not mean architectural visualization in LW world... not good.
better use other title for that section.

erikals
03-12-2012, 04:31 AM
personally i liked the color style of the old one (unlike some)
the layout design could look a bit different, smaller windows, bit less air.
(remove the tape effect in the gallery)

i know it's not done in 1-2-3 though, i've worked with layout design myself.
(get Matt in on the design part, and maybe Lino)

often it's soo much better to work 2 people on the design.
(i've done so with great results, where i failed, the other person had some great ideas)

this is also about research, browse and find some sites that you like, then go for a style.

 
NT is a company for artists, so a bit funky stuff is alright.
sometimes a background picture can be used, as long as it doesn't dominate too much.
through out ideas first, be wild / creative, then tone it down.

the LW10 style was quite nice, maybe get inspiration from that (?)
i'd like more colors. (either that or apple.com style)
 

kopperdrake
03-12-2012, 04:56 AM
NT is a company for artists, so a bit funky stuff is alright.
sometimes a background picture can be used, as long as it doesn't dominate too much.
through out ideas first, be wild / creative, then tone it down.

But is it (a company for artists)? I can understand that LW itself is quite artist-led, but are the technical box doodangles NewTek sell aimed at artists in that sense? My experience of producers and TV people, (I'm talking of those pulling the money strings here), are that they're not artists in the funky sense - they're more corporate in their styles, and this may well suit them. Get in to the site, assimilate the information as quickly and concisely as possible, make a decision, get out.

Andy - I agree - to see LightWave sitting at the bottom of the list of products on the home page, especially under 5 separate Tricaster and 3 3Play products, kind of gives it a minimal place in the grand scheme of the company, perceptually. That's also reinforced in that the list is non-alphabetical, so the fact it's placed last is read as a conscious decision by the developer.

Maybe that's the inference we should take, but honestly if I were NewTek I would give one third of the homepage to those product lines, and then move into the details of each line in their own area as they have done so. You don't go to a car manufacturer's website and see the homepage coverage for each model dependent on how many each model sells. In fact, in that case, it's quite the opposite.

I was also shocked to click on the arch viz section to see an article on a motorbike - but maybe they'll alter that boo-boo - decent applicable case studies are what we should see.

erikals
03-12-2012, 05:19 AM
kooperdrake, yep, i just want a bit of both.

djwaterman
03-12-2012, 07:58 AM
Look I'm really glad that newtek is finally doing something about the site, that's a big positive. But navigation-wise it's still a mess, maybe even more than before, with the best intention I kept finding myself in areas that I didn't expect, sometimes swapped out into another Newtek product or what ever. Some things I liked a little but overall it lacks excitement, there's no eye candy that knocks your socks off and that shouldn't be hard because there's plenty of very nice Lightwave work out there.
I don't mind Newtek having a site that promotes all it's product range, but once a potential customer clicks on Lightwave they should be in the Lightwave universe until they choose to exit.
I really didn't want to say anything because I've already *****ed enough about this in other posts, but now that they are actually doing something I'm still very concerned that they still just don't get it. I'll wait and see, perhaps better content is being prepared and I should just shut up.

Philbert
03-12-2012, 12:40 PM
I can't access register.newtek.com. Is that just temporary due to these changes or has it been replaced with something else?

SBowie
03-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Seems to be working here - at least I can get into my account.

Philbert
03-12-2012, 02:44 PM
That's strange, now it's working. Earlier I typed register.newtek.com and it told me I had to start with https:// (which it never does), so I added that and just got a "404" type page. Oh well, at least it works now. Thanks.

SBowie
03-12-2012, 03:36 PM
On a related note, I have just been informed (and have personally verified) that the issue some of us ran into with serial number generation on the weekend is now resolved. Yay!

djwaterman
03-15-2012, 08:44 AM
The gallery has been down for at least three days, I hope that means it's being updated or something.

SBowie
03-15-2012, 09:05 AM
You don't mean this gallery, I guess: http://forums.newtek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23 ??

GandB
03-15-2012, 10:30 AM
No; he's talking about the actual Gallery on the website, since we're talking about website changes in this thread...

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/lightwave-gallery.html

SBowie
03-15-2012, 10:42 AM
I figured that might be the case. They probably already know the (website) Gallery is missing, but I'll point it out to someone just in case - thanks.

OnlineRender
03-15-2012, 01:54 PM
yootheme have some real nice gallery extensions pick a nice one (",)

djwaterman
03-16-2012, 11:11 PM
Gallery back up, same old gallery.

archijam
03-17-2012, 02:58 AM
I was also hoping for an update.

The gallery has no project, software or author information .. very strange.

These are proper galleries:
http://www.maxon.net/gallery.html
http://www.luxology.com/gallery/

3DS Max do not have a gallery per se, but they do have project showcases:
http://usa.autodesk.com/3ds-max/customers/

How about NT hand over the updating of the gallery to a couple of the forum members? I'm sure we could easily manage.

erikals
03-17-2012, 03:04 AM
 
i find this one informative...
Octane Gallery (http://www.refractivesoftware.com/gallery.html)

archijam
03-17-2012, 03:12 AM
Yes, that's good .. though very subtle on the credits (they fade in top left of image).

I think the lux example is a good one .. have a forum gallery, for general back slapping, critique and bs, but also a gallery on the main site for users and non users alike .. a little info about the image and its creation, perhaps even a link to the forum gallery post where it is discussed.

But most of all easy to browse, informative, and often updated (!).

It also brings users to the 'main' lux site, boosting hits, search engine rankings, and feedback. At the moment a LW user has no reason to go to the LW NT site except to find the link to the forums (since it mysteriously changed ...) ... ;)

eagleeyed
03-17-2012, 03:33 AM
Small formatting problem on the Lightwave Features list.

The header colour suddenly changes to an out of place blue-ish colour towards the bottom of the page. From the start of Node Editor:

http://newtek.com/products/lightwave/features-lightwave-menu.html

djwaterman
03-17-2012, 10:50 AM
Well, from the bottom of that page was the following blurb..

"LightWave 11 is the most advanced and feature-rich version of LightWave ever. As we move forward, the LightWave mantra is "Technology Serves the Artist" and every new feature further proves that mission.

LightWave 11 has been developed by working closely with our users, designers, and key studios to establish the most artist-friendly and production-centric workflows possible, to enable more flexible creative options, faster turn-around times, and ultimately more successful project completions for teams and individuals. "

It's not bad, that should be on the front page. At least it sounds serious.