PDA

View Full Version : RealFlow to LW 9.6 - meshes wont hold surface settings?

Algae998
03-08-2012, 09:53 PM
Hi all,

Im using RealFlow 5 and have meshed my simulation and have now brought it into Lightwave 9.6. Im using the RealFlow plugin and using the mesh tab to import 4 fluid meshes (.bin files). They imported and animate as expected.
I changed the surface settings to my liking for all 4 mesh surfaces, but when I scrub to another frame, the surface settings go back to default. Scrubbing back to the previous frame, the settings are still at default.
How can I get the surface setting to stick to the mesh?

When I close and relaunch the scene, I get a missing .lwo file error for each of the 4 meshes. Whatever frame I was on when closing layout, it says that .lwo is missing. For example, I was on frame 63 when I saved and closed layout. On relaunching the scene, it says missing mesh_1_0063.lwo. There are no .lwo files in the objects or meshes folder since I imported the .bin files through the plugin.

Am I missing something? Whats the proper way to setup up surfaces, save and relaunch the scene?
Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

Surrealist.
03-09-2012, 04:07 AM
See if you can find a clue here:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=126283&page=3

I think it might have something to do with the fact that you have to save all objects. But it is in a sequence so when you scrub the timeline it loads another object and that rewrites the surface to the surface that that object brings in which would be blank.

That is what I gather from that thread but you might have a look and see if that is what is happening.

Not sure what the solution is.

The other problem might just be due to a limitation in the plugin. For instance if the objects are packed into a file they might not exist as separate files that LightWave can see unless it starts at the top of the sequence. Just guessing.

omichon
03-09-2012, 06:42 AM
To change the surface of a sequence of objects, you can try master_surf.ls, from DPont (http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr)
It is in the "Lscript and Plugins developement" page, Layout handlers section.

Celshader
03-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Hi all,

Im using RealFlow 5 and have meshed my simulation and have now brought it into Lightwave 9.6. Im using the RealFlow plugin and using the mesh tab to import 4 fluid meshes (.bin files). They imported and animate as expected.
I changed the surface settings to my liking for all 4 mesh surfaces, but when I scrub to another frame, the surface settings go back to default. Scrubbing back to the previous frame, the settings are still at default.
How can I get the surface setting to stick to the mesh?

I did not know that the new NextLimit plug-ins can import *.bin mesh sequences directly. I am impressed. I think the modern Next Limit loaders can also load an *.srf file that gets applied to the object sequence on load, but I have not yet tried that setting.

That said, I am old-fashioned, so I have not changed my RealFlow workflow since 2006. I like to have RealFlow generate *.lwo sequences. Then I use surfrep.exe (http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=416657&postcount=5) to batch-surface the sequence.

OnlineRender
03-09-2012, 09:33 AM
generally I import via the bin save a preset fluid texture the export the trans object via frame sequence object transform plugin lets you pick the frame range and export http://www.interialabs.de/lw/lscript/index.html

then bring it back it , this way if there is an issue with the mesh I can go into modeler and tweak away

omichon
03-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Jen, I am really surprised that you still can use the old surfrep.exe successfully. Last time I tried, it was crashing with all my .srf files (using nodes).
Fortunately, Denis came with his master script to address this issue.

Celshader
03-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Jen, I am really surprised that you still can use the old surfrep.exe successfully. Last time I tried, it was crashing with all my .srf files (using nodes).
Fortunately, Denis came with his master script to address this issue.

Last year I found out the hard way that surfrep.exe will crash on surfaces that do not have "Smoothing" turned on in the surface properties. It may be sensitive to other factors, too.

I still use it, though.

omichon
03-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Last year I found out the hard way that surfrep.exe will crash on surfaces that do not have "Smoothing" turned on in the surface properties. It may be sensitive to other factors, too.

I still use it, though.

Good to know that. Thanks for the tip :)