PDA

View Full Version : How do I Render an image for off 90 deg viewing

MacGregg
03-08-2012, 05:31 PM
I want to render an image so correct viewing you would NOT be directly in front of the image, you would need to stand to one side and view from say 45 deg not the typical 90 degrees. So, a picture hanging in a hallway would look in correct perspective before I am standing in front of it. I imagine this would be some Camera setting to change the image plane so it is not parallel to the scene, but it has been a couple years since I have used LW. Can I have different vanishing points in different parts of an image in one render?

I now have LW 11, any help you can give me on this would be great!

Thanks!
MacGregg

Danner
03-08-2012, 06:15 PM
How about something really simple, rotate your monitor 45 degrees and move the camera till it looks right. (shrug)

Danner
03-08-2012, 06:20 PM
nevermind I understan the problem now... I can think of one way to do it, but it would involve doing it in post, render it at a high enough resolution so you can deform it in post, by stretching one side of the image (like the perspective tool in photoshop) I guess you could make a custom lens for it in Lightwave, but this would be easier, but it does involve more render time.

Andy Meyer
03-08-2012, 06:21 PM
even easier, rotate your head 45 degrees in other direction and move the camera till it looks right :-)

you can use a mesh as your camera. look for the different camera types in the manual.

sublimationman
03-08-2012, 08:01 PM
What about using a large plane that is 100% reflective and black. Set it up where you would have put the camera then point the camera at the plane at a 45d angle. Although the image would be mirrored.

dwburman
03-08-2012, 10:49 PM
I'm not exactly sure what you're after, but I'm pretty sure the Advanced Camera would be the place to look. You just can't use the camera view VPR or OpenGL to see what the custom lens will show you.

Dexter2999
03-09-2012, 12:41 AM
Is this something you do in camera? Or is this something better done in post?

I keep thinking of the text painted on the street. Looks right from your car as you drive up to it but from above it is stretched wildly.

MacGregg
03-09-2012, 01:44 AM
That is exactly what I am talking about Dex! I believe this is a Camera setting to change the angle of the image plane, or film plane, so it is not parallel to the camera lens plane. So it stretches the perspective.

biliousfrog
03-09-2012, 02:04 AM
If you're just trying to remove all perspective then use the orthographic camera or the shift camera (which mimics a tilt-shift lens)

Danner
03-09-2012, 02:58 AM
I believe this is a Camera setting to change the angle of the image plane.....

Look at your signature..

There isn't a setting to change the angle per se, in the advanced camera there are options to use a mesh to deform the lens, I haven't played much with it that is why I can't recommend it, but doing it in post does work.

3DGFXStudios
03-09-2012, 04:25 AM
That is exactly what I am talking about Dex! I believe this is a Camera setting to change the angle of the image plane, or film plane, so it is not parallel to the camera lens plane. So it stretches the perspective.

Just stretch it in post. Or if you want to be 100% sure it's right: render your image normally, but it on a plane back in lw or a comp program rotate it and render it again.

JonW
03-09-2012, 04:57 AM
Just render an image & then use that image in a projection camera.

There is an example here with scene post #8 "Tin.zip"
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=125522

prospector
03-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Here is what I think is the end result being looked for..
The old baseball or football cards that had a pic from looking at it in 1 direction and another when looked from another direction...tho MacGregg was only looking for the 1 direction.

These were done by slicing a photo into strips and glueing them at a 45 off center of each strip.
Then the other pic was done same way but from opposite side.

It could be done the same way in 3D by UV'ing the strips and applying pic to all the strips and also for the opposite side, so as a charector walks by it changes same way the old cards did.

How you would make that for YOU to see as you go by monitor is not doable that I can think of.

Dexter2999
03-09-2012, 01:33 PM
You would still need a lenticular for viewing.

ch.schrul
03-09-2012, 02:45 PM
i had to read it twice to (hopefully) understand your question... :)

how about this setup?

chris

JonW
03-09-2012, 03:42 PM
Maybe this will help.

Rotate the "Null lens plane" object 45˚ 0˚ -45˚ & you will see what is happening.

MacGregg
03-09-2012, 07:19 PM
With the lenticular lens you need to interleave the images. You can also use many images interleaved in the right way and create a short animation effect or 3D with another interleaving. But this much more complicated than what I was trying to do.

MacGregg
03-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Chris I don't understand the projected image on the angled plane... I see that Cam2 image is what I am looking for as it is correct when viewed at about 45x45. Is the projected surface on a corner cube and not flat?

ch.schrul
03-10-2012, 02:58 AM
It's just a simple plane with the texture front projected (from cam 1) on it. Sorry, the ogl preview looks horrible... never got a good preview with front projection in layout.

MacGregg
03-15-2012, 05:56 AM
Thanks everybody this was a big help!

Gregg