PDA

View Full Version : TurbulenceFD v1.0 RELEASED

jawset
03-08-2012, 07:01 AM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

TURBULENCEFD v1.0 RELEASED

Jawset Visual Computing releases fluid dynamics and volumetric rendering plugin
with hybrid CPU/GPU simulation pipeline and real-time preview.

Aachen, Germany — March 8, 2012 - Jawset Visual Computing announces the release of TurbulenceFD v1.0, a fluid simulation and volumetric rendering plugin for Maxon Cinema 4D and NewTek LightWave 3D.

TurbulenceFD simulates and renders all kinds of gaseous fluids like fire, smoke, explosions, vapor, mist, dust and clouds. Its intuitive workflow integrates fluid dynamics seamlessly into existing scenes by using any type of animated object geometry as emitters or solid collision objects. TurbulenceFD has already been used in several TV and film productions including

Iron Sky
Surrogates
Fringe
Terra Nova
CSI: Las Vegas
Battlestar Gallactica Blood and Chrome

FLUID SIMULATION

Hybrid CPU/GPU simulation pipeline
Multigrid Solver Technology
Adaptive Simulation Space
For more features see http://www.jawset.com

Built on advanced Multigrid solver technology, TurbulenceFD provides outstanding simulation performance that scales well to the hundreds of millions of voxels and beyond. It's simulation pipeline supports processing all features at their full quality on the GPU. In GPU mode, the simulation achieves speedups of up to 12 times the CPU performance. When running out of GPU memory, a fallback mechanism continues simulations on the CPU automatically.

VOLUMETRIC RENDERER

GPU Based Real-Time Preview
Physically Based HDR Fire Shader
Render-Time Sub-Grid Detail
Multiple Scattering
For more features see http://www.jawset.com

TurbulenceFD features a real-time viewport preview that enables a very intuitive shading workflow as well as direct visual control of the simulation results. The Volumetric Renderer employs efficient sampling technology that reduces the render times needed to get noise free results for large scale smoke simulations as well as the thin layers used to shade flames. A color simulation based on the physical black body radiation model provides realistic high-dynamic range fire colors without sacrificing artistic control. Multiple Scattering is calculated without noisy sampling, which makes it very effective for use in animation. TurbulenceFD features a sub-grid detail mechanism that adds procedural detail to the fluid at render time that does not require any additional simulation time or memory.

FREE LEARNING EDITION

A free Learning Edition with no time-limit is available for download at http://www.jawset.com/try

PRESS CONTACT

Jascha Wetzel
[email protected]

PRESS MATERIAL

Download Images (http://static.jawset.com/TurbulenceFD_Press_Images.zip)

Phil
03-08-2012, 07:10 AM
Oh. I thought this was already released, but I see new builds (940). I didn't see a changelog, though. Anything different since the previous 1.0 releases that existing users ought to be aware of? :)

jawset
03-08-2012, 07:14 AM
It was indeed, but now it's official ;)
The latest addition is the real-time, shaded viewport preview:
http://www.jawset.com/?fv=video_viewport_preview2

alexs3d
03-08-2012, 08:22 AM
wow, thatīs an awesome addition :) itīs improving the workflow much better and it looks great, it is fast and you donīt have to turn on VPR for adjusting the settings.

one question, will there be a special offer like you had it at the beginning :)

50one
03-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Great! Might give the demo a try, what are the limitations of demo version??

alexs3d
03-08-2012, 08:35 AM
i think nothing, only the watermark :) i use the demo, but thinking to buy it sometime when i have the money :)

omichon
03-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Haven't had the time to play with it yet, but it's a great addition to the LW toolset, definitely !
Congrats Jascha :thumbsup:

Elmar Moelzer
03-08-2012, 09:38 AM
Congrats guys!
Glad to see a lot of quality tools released for LW lately.

Matt
03-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Excellent work Jascha, congratulations on the release!

prometheus
03-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Jascha I salute you..if that real time fire shader preview now shows up in Lightwave too, and not only in cinema4d.
This is what I asked for some time ago..:thumbsup:

Im feeling excited like homer simpson..tipping on his toes and flickr with his finger tips going ..what shall I do..what shall I do, but for me more like what should I buy..turbulence or volumedic:)

have to test this during the upcoming weekend...o man what fun stuff and the houdini apprentice release too, canīt wait to check that pyro stuff out.

Michael

erikals
03-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Nnnice!!! does this mean you will jump onto water-fluids next?

Cloak&Dagger
03-08-2012, 11:41 AM
This is great stuff. Love this tool!

Waves of light
03-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Wow. Will play with the demo and see how I get on. Well done guys.

prometheus
03-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Just tested...indeed the viewport preview fireshader works just fine...awesome.

doesīnt give exactly a true match to the vpr or final render results, think you will have to change damping and white point a little, maybe this will improve over time to give even more accurate open gl shading to be even closer to the final look, anyway It is a tremendous help to have this.

Michael

Lewis
03-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Congrats, this is very impressive stuff.

zapper1998
03-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Ok

prometheus
03-08-2012, 12:47 PM
just found out...increasing voxel slices from default 1 to 10 gives a more true to final render open gl preview.

And the simulations seems to go much faster now, do not know if it is because of the final Lightwave release or if it is turbulence itself that gone through even more speed improvements, have to check with higher res thou.

Michael

jawset
03-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Just tested...indeed the viewport preview fireshader works just fine...awesome.

doesīnt give exactly a true match to the vpr or final render results, think you will have to change damping and white point a little, maybe this will improve over time to give even more accurate open gl shading to be even closer to the final look, anyway It is a tremendous help to have this.

Color-wise i mostly get near identical results. Depending on your sim and shading settings increasing the slices per voxel in the preview might be necessary.
Viewport background color is important too. And don't forget to work all linear.

laci
03-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Dear Jawset!

This is the best fire plugin I have ever seen.

But without any video tutorial it is very hard to learn anything.
I saw the learn section of your site: VIDEO TUTORIALS - Stay tuned...
I am looking forward to see them. Pleeeaseee. :)

Thank You.

caesar
03-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Excelent FX plug!!!!

Greenlaw
03-08-2012, 04:43 PM
Congratulations Jascha!

It may have been a long beta period but it was well worth the time and effort...Turbulence is fantastic! Thank you very much for porting it to Lightwave.

G.

calilifestyle
03-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Nice great to see this still moving along. Now any chance of porting to modo hehe. Or messiah.
BTW i noticed for adobe only cs5-4 no . it's no available for cs 2 or cs 3

Cageman
03-08-2012, 06:33 PM
Fantastic!

I'm very impressed with Turbulence, and... darn... I need to get myself a new gfx-card! :D

Thank you jawset!

nomad108
03-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Congrats on version 1! I'm going to set fire to some geometry to celebrate! :D

calilifestyle
03-09-2012, 01:27 AM
This doesn't work with 9.6 anymore

mav3rick
03-09-2012, 01:32 AM
time to upgrade :)

bazsa73
03-09-2012, 02:15 AM
I wanted to close a window on the screenshot! How silly :D

moussepipi2000
03-09-2012, 03:04 AM
i tested a version two weeks ago where i cant used the gpu. it is now available for the lightwave version??

3DGFXStudios
03-09-2012, 04:05 AM
i tested a version two weeks ago where i cant used the gpu. it is now available for the lightwave version??

Yes it works but you need a Nvidia card with the latest drivers.

geo_n
03-09-2012, 08:01 AM

+1 so we can have something native to lw and doesn't cost as much as realflow or rely on blender fluids. Something in the same range as glu3d for 3dmax and maya.

Congrats on V1

silviotoledo
03-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Fluids would be amazing for fuel effects.

So would we be able to do something like this?

http://youtu.be/AF9O54hPLCM

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/spirit-of-vengeance-a-grittier-ghost-rider/

hrgiger
03-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Very nice plug-in for LightWave. But after upgrading Modo and LightWave recently, its out of my price range.

silviotoledo
03-09-2012, 09:39 AM
just amazed if someone can use bullet PARTICLES to generate flames with TURBULENCE

http://www.iloura.com.au/film/ghost-rider-spirit-of-vengeance-vfx-breakdown/

prometheus
03-09-2012, 10:29 AM
Fluids would be amazing for fuel effects.

So would we be able to do something like this?

http://youtu.be/AF9O54hPLCM

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/spirit-of-vengeance-a-grittier-ghost-rider/

Of course...most likely 100%
The limit would probably only be your skills and sense of how to work the fluids..

just amazed if someone can use bullet PARTICLES to generate flames with TURBULENCE

http://www.iloura.com.au/film/ghost-rider-spirit-of-vengeance-vfx-breakdown/

Even thou I mentioned 100% you might be able to do that, thereīs limitations on the Bullet engine, wich means you have to mdd the sims before you could add particles on fractured and scattered pieces, I think I tried but wasnīt satisfied with how it worked, think hard fx was easier to apply particle fx on, you would just have to calculate the sim, but no need for mdd baking.
So it will probably take a little more work to get good dust particles to rise from small fractured pieces.

I think Bullet needs to improve with particle interactivity further on, and that before you can utilize full power of turbulence within a seemless fx environment, it will be judged against Houdini and how you can use nodes
for almost anything, connecting bullet with particles and pyrofx.

Still quit a bit left to do for Newtek dev team, if they can pull it off to deliver what was promised for core about driving anything with anything ..nodevise.

Turbulence itself, has very little nodal control, maybe that will turn up later on.

But otherwise TurbulenceFD rocks, I tested PyroFX for houdini some time ago, but felt that I could get more decent results quicker with TurbulenceFD, however..
I havenīt checked the latest PyroFX with the latest Houdini 12 release, I suspect that rocks too...gonna download the Houdini apprentice this weekend and try.
Itīs an ongoing war...You could say the Heat is on!

Michael

Mr. Wilde
03-11-2012, 10:40 AM
This is way cool.

What limitations does the Learning Edition have?

prometheus
03-11-2012, 10:53 AM
This is way cool.

What limitations does the Learning Edition have?

except for watermark, none I think.
some fluid clouds models up on my vimeo page..

Michael

inkpen3d
03-12-2012, 08:10 AM

+1 so we can have something native to lw and doesn't cost as much as realflow or rely on blender fluids. Something in the same range as glu3d for 3dmax and maya.

Congrats on V1

:agree:

If TurbulenceFD were to be expanded to include the simulation of fluids, such as water, I would definitely be in the queue to buy it.

Unfortunately, although TurbulenceFD is VERY impressive (I've downloaded the trial version), I really don't have any requirements to simulate fire or smoke!

Currently, on the few occasions when I do need any fluid simulations, they have to be done in Blender and imported into LW, which is a real pain since I only ever use Blender once in a blue moon and consequently have to relearn how to navigate its UI, etc.

I would like to add my congratulations to Jawset for producing such a high quality plugin.:thumbsup:

Regards,
Peter

HenrikSkoglund
03-13-2012, 03:09 AM
Looks really, really nice. It's on my TO-BUY list...

I haven't been looking very much for this info, but can anyone tell me what's up with the "need" for Nvidia graphics card? I have a ATI card myself... :stumped:

prometheus
03-13-2012, 03:14 AM
Looks really, really nice. It's on my TO-BUY list...

I haven't been looking very much for this info, but can anyone tell me what's up with the "need" for Nvidia graphics card? I have a ATI card myself... :stumped:

using gpu (nvidia cuda cards) gives a much faster fluid simulation, in the latest turbulenceFD version, You can choose from a menu to either use cpu or your graphics card if you have nvidia.

some other fluids tools seem to use gpu for faster rendering too, that has yet to arrive for lightwave and turbulence thou.

Michael

Netvudu
03-13-2012, 06:29 AM
Just to encourage people which are doubting about this, at the CG school I work we recently purchased 10 licenses of Turbulence, and not only we think this is a wonderful and powerful product, but the support has been simply top notch.

ghostlight
03-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Jascha, I have v0.4 Rev 788 and just love it.

But, it didn't tell me there was a new version! I had to find out here on the forums. Since I purchased an Early Bird edition, do I get v1.0?

Thanks!

Greenlaw
03-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Do you have the Automatically Check for Updates option enabled? It's under the About button. If not you can manually download update by clicking the Check for Updates button. If you don't see these buttons you may need to load the Turbulence Menu Configs.

BTW, I got in on the earlybird offer ages ago and got the update to 1.0, so yes, you should be eligible for the update.

G.

ghostlight
03-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Yeah, I clicked Check For Updates and it says I'm using the latest version. LIES! Anyway, I just logged in at Jawset and downloaded the latest version me-self. Hooray!

rcallicotte
03-26-2012, 05:58 AM
Funny about the check for the newest version - this has always worked and is how I even got the latest version since 1.0 came out. COOL.

rcallicotte
03-26-2012, 09:09 PM
1.0 Revision 960. Woot. :D

alexs3d
03-27-2012, 02:54 AM
when i install the latest version of turbuelence, i get an error, cudart64_41_28.dll is missing, but i cannot find this file.

does somebody have the same error ?

jawset
03-27-2012, 03:45 AM
Yeah, I clicked Check For Updates and it says I'm using the latest version. LIES!
Some older versions do indeed. That's been fixed a while ago, though.

when i install the latest version of turbuelence, i get an error, cudart64_41_28.dll is missing, but i cannot find this file.
Please download the latest build v1.0 Rev 961.

alexs3d
03-27-2012, 03:53 AM
thanks jascha, it is working now.

prometheus
03-27-2012, 06:13 AM
Whatīs new in the latest version? I donīt recall but wasnīt there a page where you could see that before?

Im also curious about the particle advection feature, Ivé asked before but
havenīt been able to get an answer, is this feature only for cinema 4d?
Ivé never been getting fluids to push particles.

Michael

jawset
03-27-2012, 07:33 AM
Whatīs new in the latest version? I donīt recall but wasnīt there a page where you could see that before?
Public: http://www.jawset.com/try

Im also curious about the particle advection feature, Ivé asked before but
havenīt been able to get an answer, is this feature only for cinema 4d?
Ivé never been getting fluids to push particles.
In the current version advecting particles only works in C4D.

prometheus
03-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Public: http://www.jawset.com/try

In the current version advecting particles only works in C4D.

Why do you direct me with links to the download? I wanted to know whatīs new in the latest version.
And why link to registred page, Im using the demo and havenīt got any passwords.

Ok particle advection only works in C4d as I suspected, but you should really add a note of that in your feature page since people might be fooled by that.

Interesting to see whatīs new, donīt have the time to install right now thou.

Michael

jawset
03-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Why do you direct me with links to the download? I wanted to know whatīs new in the latest version.
Sorry i misread - thought you wanted to know what the latest version was.
The changes are listed in the README.txt included in the downloads.

prometheus
03-27-2012, 08:49 AM
Sorry i misread - thought you wanted to know what the latest version was.
The changes are listed in the README.txt included in the downloads.

Ahh..thatīs understandable, and sorry me..I activated some extra brain cells and brought up some memories that you of course have the update changes within the download and readme files.

cheers.

Michael

calilifestyle
03-28-2012, 10:58 AM
I think it now works with 9.6 thanks.

stevecullum
03-31-2012, 12:14 PM
Just downloaded the Trial version (latest version) and installed as per instructions. When I run Layout for the first time, there are no problems and TFD works fine. After exiting and re-starting layout I always get a bunch of DLL errors, unless I kill off my configs. The strange thing is though, TFD still works fine despite layout complaining it can't find the DLL's.

Anyone know whats going on here?

kirkeric
07-13-2012, 12:19 PM
I see where others have had this dll issue. I have the latest version of Turbulence and have done everything I can for this error and it still says the dll file is missing. First it was the 64_28_41.dll and I think I have a newer version but regardless of the version, it shows it missing, even when it IS in the Turbulence folder.

The only thing I can think of is that LW is looking for it but from a difference location than the "lib" folder in Turbulence.

Does anyone know? What I do know is if I remove the Turbulence folder, LW opens without flaw.

Thanks,

Eric

does somebody have the same error ?

prometheus
11-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Ehh..was about to install the latest rev 1009 32 bit to test it out again, I keep getting cudart32_42_9.dll is missing, I place the whole turbulenceFD folder under programs x86/newtek/lightwave11/support/plugins
And then installed from edit plugins, scan directory..

I had to remove the turbulencefd folder to get lightwave starting up with out the error message, and I tried not to scan the directory and only add the plugin, but it still getīs the same error message.

So where to put the whole folder?

Michael

prometheus
11-11-2012, 11:15 AM
Ahh...I was to fast to complain...in layout prefereces, uncheck autoscan of plugins, I forgot that or thought I already was unchecked.

should solve the cudart error messages.

Michael

prometheus
11-11-2012, 11:23 AM
I do have another big issue with the installement of turbulenceFD rev 1009, it kills my UI buttons at some places, see images, which means some things arenīt acessable.

Fx tools arenīt availbable, creating geometry is gone etc.

Michael

stevecullum
11-11-2012, 01:39 PM
If you turn off auto-scan plugins, you will need to manually re-scan them. Should restore the UI then...

Thomas Leitner
11-12-2012, 12:57 AM
...I place the whole turbulenceFD folder under programs x86/newtek/lightwave11/support/plugins....

...So where to put the whole folder? Michael

Hi Michael,
I placed the TurbulenceFD folder directly under C:\Program Files (I use 64bit LW), for 32bit it should be Programs x86.

If you turn off auto-scan plugins, you will need to manually re-scan them. Should restore the UI then...

And as said by Steve...so keep auto-scan on.

ciao
Thomas

prometheus
11-12-2012, 04:22 AM
Hi Michael,
I placed the TurbulenceFD folder directly under C:\Program Files (I use 64bit LW), for 32bit it should be Programs x86.

And as said by Steve...so keep auto-scan on.

ciao
Thomas

Thanks ..I will try placing it only under the program x86 folder instead of in the Lightwave/support/plugin folder, but I guess it would be better if we could get a fix for this issue so
we can have our plugins in one main directory, worked with older versions, maybe itīs a cuda adress issue somewhere?
I had to clear the configs and replace with backup configs to get all the Ui button working as it should again.

Thanks
Michael

prometheus
11-12-2012, 10:27 AM
yep..thanks Thomas Leitner, placing the turbulenceFD folder directly under program files x86 folder works without issues, now I can start evaluate again, been a long time since I
played with it, I suspect I might be able to get some more time to work on it since I will end my current job in december due to lack of work provided by my employer, Unless I get a new job
very fast that is.

Michael

Darth Mole
11-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Just bought Turbulence and am waiting for a GTX 570 to drop in my Mac Pro. Fingers crossed...

Darth Mole
11-13-2012, 03:18 PM
But I have to say, the implementation on C4D is way superior to LW's. Works like a dream, with a beautiful preview. LW still needs a little work.

jawset
11-14-2012, 02:04 AM
But I have to say, the implementation on C4D is way superior to LW's. Works like a dream, with a beautiful preview. LW still needs a little work.
What exactly do you think needs improvement?

Brötje
11-14-2012, 03:22 AM
Haven't had the time to test it yet. Does it support a smoke and fire combination preview in OpenGl? :)

prometheus
11-14-2012, 04:40 AM
Haven't had the time to test it yet. Does it support a smoke and fire combination preview in OpenGl? :)

Nope..not that I am aware of, those are seperate, would be sweet if that can be done.

Michael

Brötje
11-14-2012, 04:45 AM
Nope..not that I am aware of, those are seperate, would be sweet if that can be done.

Michael

I've been asking him about it on the Jawset forums and he said that it was in the pipeline. So I thought the Realtime Viewport Preview was the solution.
No worries, it will be in future updates, I think. Love Turbulence anyway :)

prometheus
11-14-2012, 05:13 AM
I've been asking him about it on the Jawset forums and he said that it was in the pipeline. So I thought the Realtime Viewport Preview was the solution.
No worries, it will be in future updates, I think. Love Turbulence anyway :)

Waiting for particle advection, feels most important.

If we could get a previewer that would be great too, do not know how fast it is compared to vpr, or which is best to generate preivews?
Apart from that, smoke and fire opengl in one, and some enhancements in UI would be nice, I still get a very strange expansion of the whole module tab from time to time opening emitter tab for instance.

Since I will be out of job from december, I might be able to really evaluate it perhaps, but then again I might need to keep money in my spare buffer, but it depends on
how well I think turbulence is working for me now, and what kind of updates there is.
I always said I will purchase it ..and that has been a while since then, now I might stand unemployed at december so I might have to wait a little even though I could invest in it, need to
apply for some jobs and see what happens first in the nearest future.

Edit...the installation folder needs some guidance in the info files about where to place them or correct it to be able to install in lightwave folders, see issues above.
For me I had to install it under program files x 86 , and not under lightwave/support/plugins.

Michael

Brötje
11-14-2012, 05:23 AM
Waiting for particle advection, feels most important.

Michael

Wasn't that possible already? Or am I confusing with C4D?

prometheus
11-14-2012, 05:37 AM
Wasn't that possible already? Or am I confusing with C4D?
Nope I donīt think so..doesnīt say anything in the read me files either ..or I must have missed it, in cinema it is, and in lightwave it was planned for some v.1.0 version.

Michael

Darth Mole
11-15-2012, 01:29 AM
"Haven't had the time to test it yet. Does it support a smoke and fire combination preview in OpenGl?"

EDIT: Yes it does. Although i need to experiment more.

"What exactly do you think needs improvement?"

Hi Jascha - we've spoken about this, the interface redraw issue? Also, I didn't the get the result I was expecting the other day, although it seems to be behaving itself now! Please don't think it's bad; I just think C4D has the edge.

Tutorials please!

Brötje
11-15-2012, 01:38 AM
So you can see smoke and fire together in OpenGL? Great! Do share :)

prometheus
11-15-2012, 02:08 AM
"Haven't had the time to test it yet. Does it support a smoke and fire combination preview in OpenGl?"

EDIT: Yes it does. Although i need to experiment more.

Uhhmm...I didnīt see any option to use both fire and smoke at the same time for opengl preview, donīt think that is correct, you can only see fire shader in open gl preview, or smoke preview but noth both at the same time, unless using vpr that is.

Michael

Brötje
11-15-2012, 02:14 AM
Uhhmm...I didnīt see any option to use both fire and smoke at the same time for opengl preview, donīt think that is correct, you can only see fire shader in open gl preview, or smoke preview but noth both at the same time, unless using vpr that is.

Michael

Yeah, neither did I. That's why I was wondering...

erikals
11-15-2012, 02:30 AM
video tutorials would be very nice, one day in th enear future i'll have to get a hold of Turbulence,
and some intro video tutorials would be great.

(official ones or not, doesn't matter to me)

Darth Mole
11-15-2012, 03:36 PM
Yeah, neither did I. That's why I was wondering...

Ah - I might just have seen wispy flames and thought it was grey smoke. Sorry. Still trying to get my head round the thing!

paulselhi
12-26-2012, 04:52 AM
video tutorials would be very nice, one day in th enear future i'll have to get a hold of Turbulence,
and some intro video tutorials would be great.

(official ones or not, doesn't matter to me)

try here http://www.black-and-white-to-color.com/ipbsfx/ for C4D but the principles are the same

prometheus
12-26-2012, 05:54 AM
For some reason, I get constant crashes with just simple collison objects, so I just canīt use that..
using the latest turbulence build, lightwave 32 bit 11.03...nvidia card gtx 560M, but also crashes using cpu.

Michael

Eagle66
12-27-2012, 09:04 AM
try here http://www.black-and-white-to-color.com/ipbsfx/ for C4D but the principles are the same

The more difficult challenge is to how to arrive good realistic results out of TFD!
All videos and documentation i found are Basic stuff with horrible outcomes and there is always no ONLINE MANUAL for all the TFD parameters. So at the moment it is a time consuming way to figure this out by self.

Vidoes are stay tuned...

Thomas Leitner
12-27-2012, 09:21 AM
... and there is always no ONLINE MANUAL for all the TFD parameters. So at the moment it is a time consuming way to figure this out by self.

Online Manual:
http://help.jawset.com/en/lw

ciao
Thomas

prometheus
12-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Getting realistic results is a matter of time to tweak and learn, I suspect too few lightwavers has the time to do that or work with it..it
will probably take a year or two before we can see some good tutorials that brings realistic results as showcase.

Same goes for hypervoxels I would say, you got to learn the inside and out of tweaking every parameter dealing with all sorts of scale and noise settings to get best results, and it is time consuming.

I would love to see the day when fluids can be tweaked in real time manner, both for sims and for texture& noise editing..if that ever happens? high res simulations, upresing, grid noise..all of that take time to get right and is a very important part for realism.
Study of real reference and understanding of that is of course another big part.

Michael

bazsa73
12-27-2012, 10:35 AM
My biggest problem with HVs is their wobbly ball-like motion and the lack of blending (I mean "real" blending). If voxels could be really melted/blended together the
result would be way better than what we have now. Just my 2 cents on HVs, but this has been ranted over I guess several time.

prometheus
12-27-2012, 11:15 AM
My biggest problem with HVs is their wobbly ball-like motion and the lack of blending (I mean "real" blending). If voxels could be really melted/blended together the
result would be way better than what we have now. Just my 2 cents on HVs, but this has been ranted over I guess several time.

Yeah..Hvīs wobbly ball like motion, but that is related to particle behavior and as mentioned the tension blend between particles, and yes this community has been ranting for years about nr1, distance between particle gradients and nr2, hv blending in volume mode with proper tension blending..Cant see any good results with the newly introduced blending in volume mode...reference should have been looked at from the dynamite plugin which did this nicely and also worked on polyons.

But I prefer working with hypertextures and noise within voxels than within TurbulenceFD, and also controlling opacity etc.
Hope turbulenceFD could get a grid noise texture channels so you can use the fractals within lightwave than just those noise settings with small scale and large scale, that noise will not get the same natural variations as fractals like dented, turbulent noise etc.

The cantarcan dynamite fluid system actually had this implemented for fluid shading, I tried it, but it became unuasable since it started to hang and almost freeze using that, might have been a bug, maybe ..just maybe Jascha could try and get this too inside of TurbulenceFD, the next issue is that grid noise takes a lot longer to render than without ..so much longer that it is slower than hypertexture tweaking within hypervoxels.
I also find controlling illumination easier to do with voxels than fluids, using rayleigh settings, opacity gradients etc, or dynamites internal fireshader...

Dynamite..
https://vimeo.com/28587261

turbulenceFD
https://vimeo.com/35528035
https://vimeo.com/30915803

Hypervoxels volume mode..fiddling with explosions and particles
https://vimeo.com/27734204
https://vimeo.com/45587582
https://vimeo.com/45100949

Your (bazsa73) gracious sharing of particle explosion setup (hvīs), and my modification on the right side...
https://vimeo.com/26508787

Iīm gonna start working trying out turbulenceFD more now in the nearest future, but I stumbled across some issues now, right now collision objects crashing lightwave.

Michael

silviotoledo
12-31-2012, 10:59 AM
Does GPU aceleration works also in Lightwave?

I will acquire a Turbulence 4D for lightwave licence soon, but I'm sad no more lightwave samples at the site :( everything is Cinema 4D.

( edited )

I saw on manual thal GPU support is avalable for lightwave. So my question is:

Is multi-GPU support available for calculating?
Is GPU used for rendering?

Darth Mole
12-31-2012, 11:26 AM
I believe the answers are Yes and No, in that order. If you have two GPUs, most accelerated apps will get pretty much twice the performance. The final render is done via LW's engine, so no GPU acceleration.

netstile123
01-08-2013, 09:01 PM
hi, I thought I had posted this but I did not see it. Sorry if this posted again. I installed TFD plug and had 2 errors pop up when I try to run layout. This has never happend untill I tried the trial of TFD. I was wondering if it has something to do with not having a cuda card. I run windows 7 amd 6 core with a ATI HD 5700 series. Thanks if anyone have seen this before. Thanks

Phil
01-08-2013, 09:11 PM
As far as I know, that's caused by installing the Turbulence folder inside the LightWave folder. There's some kind of DLL collision that occurs.

m.d.
01-08-2013, 11:16 PM
Does GPU aceleration works also in Lightwave?

I will acquire a Turbulence 4D for lightwave licence soon, but I'm sad no more lightwave samples at the site :( everything is Cinema 4D.

( edited )

I saw on manual thal GPU support is avalable for lightwave. So my question is:

Is multi-GPU support available for calculating?
Is GPU used for rendering?

I believe it is NO/ and NO

right now I think it is just 1 GPU
http://www2.jawset.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=786

Darth Mole
01-09-2013, 02:39 AM
A right. Was thinking of Octane render!

3DGFXStudios
01-09-2013, 02:44 AM
A right. Was thinking of Octane render!

Only if the gpu's are the same. If you have an old 285 and a new 480 it's best to use the 285 for display and the 480 for calculations.

evolross
01-09-2013, 11:59 AM
We've been using TurbulenceFD at work on a major U.S. cable show. I can't mention the project or show any of the work, but I can say, in the right hands and enough time and storage for computation, TurbulenceFD delivers the goods. We did a huge mushroom-cloud type explosion that looks fantastic. On par with anything I've seen done in FumeFX. The artist that worked on it did mention the TurbulenceFD documentation was a little thin for Lightwave and a successful result involved a lot of trial and error, but I suppose we're used to that in Lightwave. I'll try to put a link of the work up once it's released.

I'm looking forward to future upgrades of the software.

Greenlaw
01-09-2013, 01:36 PM
I installed TFD plug and had 2 errors pop up when I try to run layout...
Yes, this is a .dll issue...Lightwave is trying to automatically load any .dll files in the plug-ins directory as plugins. You can prevent this by disabling AutoScan Plugins in the options panel. You'll need to do this for both Layout and Modeler, quit and relaunch.

Alternatively, you can edit your configs to ignore .dll files for AutoScan. This will also solve the issue and allow you to use AutoScan. However, it will also prevent legitimate plug-ins that are .dll files from loading during AutoScan (like Sherpa x64 for example.)

allabulle
01-09-2013, 03:16 PM
We've been using TurbulenceFD at work on a major U.S. cable show. I can't mention the project or show any of the work, but I can say, in the right hands and enough time and storage for computation, TurbulenceFD delivers the goods. We did a huge mushroom-cloud type explosion that looks fantastic. On par with anything I've seen done in FumeFX. The artist that worked on it did mention the TurbulenceFD documentation was a little thin for Lightwave and a successful result involved a lot of trial and error, but I suppose we're used to that in Lightwave. I'll try to put a link of the work up once it's released.

I'm looking forward to future upgrades of the software.

Please do post that link when the time comes. I'd like to see what's done with Turbulence (even with post-processing added). Thanks in advance.

Thomas Leitner
01-10-2013, 12:18 AM
Yes, this is a .dll issue...Lightwave is trying to automatically load any .dll files in the plug-ins directory as plugins. You can prevent this by disabling AutoScan Plugins in the options panel. You'll need to do this for both Layout and Modeler, quit and relaunch.

Alternatively, you can edit your configs to ignore .dll files for AutoScan. This will also solve the issue and allow you to use AutoScan. However, it will also prevent legitimate plug-ins that are .dll files from loading during AutoScan (like Sherpa x64 for example.)

Hi,
place the TurbulenceFD folder directly under C:\Program Files (64bit LW), for 32bit it should be Programs x86.
So you can leave Autoscan enabled.

ciao
Thomas

Greenlaw
01-10-2013, 01:10 AM
place the TurbulenceFD folder directly under C:\Program Files (64bit LW), for 32bit it should be Programs x86.
So you can leave Autoscan enabled.
Thanks for the tip!

I normally prefer to keep all third party plug-ins in the same directory but in this case, I might have to make an exception. :)

G.

prometheus
01-12-2013, 09:59 AM
- - - Updated - - -

evolross...Looking forward to see the huge explosion, if you will be allowed to showcase it?

Michael