PDA

View Full Version : Roller Coaster Rabbit

Nigel
03-08-2012, 02:06 AM
I've wanted to recreate this maquette in 3d for quite some time ... I mean, it's Jessica Rabbit ... need I say more? :D The few low res reference images I had of the physical maquette hindered my progress for some time, resulting in me dropping the project for quite a few months. I finally got round to finishing it this week, so here's a final render, and a wireframe. I wanted to keep the texturing closer to the real thing, rather than try and texture real cloth and skin, etc. I took some liberties here and there, but overall, I wanted it to look like a toy/figurine.

Thanks for looking.

Waves of light
03-08-2012, 02:37 AM
Really liking this Nigel.

The only thing that keeps catching my eye is her lips, they don't seem right for some reason. I've looked at some ref shots and her bottom lip is a lot bigger than her top, however, I can't put my finger on what it is with your model's lips.

Cheers,

Ricky.

alexs3d
03-08-2012, 03:57 AM
wow, great image, i love her skin shading :)

but :) why does she have no fingernails, that looks really strange, i think fingernail would improve much more...

Mitja
03-08-2012, 04:04 AM
That's freakin' awesome man! And look at your poly flow... no words!

evenflcw
03-08-2012, 04:50 AM
That is hell-a-good! Very nice translation and modeling. I'd like to see that rigged and animated!

mav3rick
03-08-2012, 05:05 AM
phew... :) i am getting old :) this is impressive!

safetyman
03-08-2012, 05:08 AM
I thought that was a photo at first. Great model and render!

inakito
03-08-2012, 06:06 AM
Great job!

Lovely render and neat modelling... Love seeing once more the superpowers of subpatch modelling.

Nigel
03-08-2012, 06:34 AM
Really liking this Nigel.

The only thing that keeps catching my eye is her lips, they don't seem right for some reason. I've looked at some ref shots and her bottom lip is a lot bigger than her top, however, I can't put my finger on what it is with your model's lips.

Cheers,

Ricky.

Thanks Ricky. The lips were a point of contention for me too. I simply got them to a point where I was happy enough with them. Without the physical maquette in front of me, it would always remain a shot in the dark :) I think the top lip might be too thin.

wow, great image, i love her skin shading :)

but :) why does she have no fingernails, that looks really strange, i think fingernail would improve much more...

Thanks, glad you like it. The "skin" is just the Delta material. I did toy with the idea of a SSS shader, but abandoned it early on.

Regarding the fingernails ... the maquette doesnt have any ... and it seems she always wore gloves in the movie, so I guess it never crossed my mind.

That's freakin' awesome man! And look at your poly flow... no words!

:thumbsup: Thanks buddy.

That is hell-a-good! Very nice translation and modeling. I'd like to see that rigged and animated!

Well ... she's modeled in that pose, so I think it would be pretty back breaking (for her too) getting her into a T-pose :) It wont be pretty. Thanks for the comments!

phew... :) i am getting old :) this is impressive!
Hehe, thanks :) I think Jessica Rabbit transcends generations though ... or is it just us old farts that remember her? I haven't yet had to sit anybody down and explain who she is.

I thought that was a photo at first. Great model and render!
Thanks bud, that's quite the compliment.

Great job!

Lovely render and neat modelling... Love seeing once more the superpowers of subpatch modelling.

:thumbsup: Thank you. Is there any other way to model though? :D

zardoz
03-08-2012, 04:10 PM
amazing. This is the kind of stuff that I love. Congratulations and really thanks for sharing.

kadri
03-09-2012, 05:55 AM
Looks very nice, congratulations :)

Waves of light
03-09-2012, 05:58 AM
Thanks Ricky. The lips were a point of contention for me too. I simply got them to a point where I was happy enough with them. Without the physical maquette in front of me, it would always remain a shot in the dark :) I think the top lip might be too thin.

Oh, and I forgot to mention how much I like the roller-coaster cutaway... very nice touch and also well modelled.

Ricky.

djwaterman
03-09-2012, 09:30 AM
It's really good. Stunningly so.

Tartiflette
03-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Wow, great renders (and model !).
The maquette look is there, no doubt about it, so i think the goal is achieved. :bowdown:

Just perfect, congratulations ! :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette :)

sony
03-09-2012, 04:25 PM
perfect

Bliz
03-10-2012, 04:10 AM
I love it. Especially the surfaces like the metal used on the tracks and wheels.

The highly detailed grass gives a weird juxtaposition compared with the stylized figure. But I've got over it ;)

Nigel
03-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.
I did a turntable animation over the weekend. It revealed a few slight issues, that I'll have to sort out, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

Tartiflette
03-11-2012, 04:52 AM
Wow, the turntable is freakin' awesome, again congratulations on that project Nigel, it's just perfect ! :bowdown:

Cheers,

2create
03-11-2012, 07:22 AM
Outstanding work! I really like the material choice and the turntable look amazing, what are the issues with it?

Nigel
03-11-2012, 07:42 AM
Wow, the turntable is freakin' awesome, again congratulations on that project Nigel, it's just perfect ! :bowdown:

Cheers,

Thanks man. It's always a huge relief when a project finally comes together, and a bigger surprise when it's received so well. :thumbsup:

Outstanding work! I really like the material choice and the turntable look amazing, what are the issues with it?

Thank you. I'm glad you like it. :) Once I abandoned all notions of surfacing real skin and cloth, etc, the texturing just started working. Keeping it simple, was the best thing to do, for this project.

The main issues (small ones) I noticed once the turntable was rendered, were the roller coaster wheels going too black when they moved away from the key light, and the pose of her left hand needed to be fixed, it shouldn't hang over the edge of the cart like that. Other than those issues, I was happy with the outcome. It took on average 15 minutes per frame @ 2048x1800. 2 Area lights, an HDRI, and animated MC radiosity.

valu
03-11-2012, 01:35 PM
Hi there,
I LOOOOOOVED that peace dude.
Great character !!!

Congratulations !

erikals
03-11-2012, 02:02 PM
dang nice!

Iain
03-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Fabulous! Take a bow, Nigel.
The turntable is colourful, sexy and intriguing. Job done :thumbsup:

biliousfrog
03-12-2012, 07:46 AM
I thought that I'd already commented on here but I guess not...

It's a really stunning work and it's incredibly refreshing to see something so amazingly well done on the Lightwave forums. There are some very talented artists on here and some great work is produced but it is rare to see such a striking still image that easily competes with the best works from CGS, ZBrush Central and other, highly regarded, computer graphics forums. It is a little sad to think that if I'd seen the image anywhere else I'd just have assumed that it was created in Max, Maya, Modo, ZBrush, Mudbox...almost anything but Lightwave, not because it isn't capable but just because that's generally how it is.

Brilliant :)

shrox
03-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Very nice. I am working on a pin up girl for nose art on that B-29 bomber I posted earlier. Those chicks were just so hot!

dxyner
03-12-2012, 06:47 PM
In a previous job I had to examine a dozen of these maquettes. This model looks great and from what I can see it's spot on.

Nigel
03-13-2012, 02:44 AM
Hi there,
I LOOOOOOVED that peace dude.
Great character !!!

Congratulations !

Thanks bud. It was fun recreating the sculpture in 3d, she's an awesome character to do (no pun intended :P)

dang nice!

:thumbsup:

Fabulous! Take a bow, Nigel.
The turntable is colourful, sexy and intriguing. Job done :thumbsup:

Thanks Iain. Glad you liked that :) ... by the way, took a look at your website ... top shelf stuff!

I thought that I'd already commented on here but I guess not...

It's a really stunning work and it's incredibly refreshing to see something so amazingly well done on the Lightwave forums. There are some very talented artists on here and some great work is produced but it is rare to see such a striking still image that easily competes with the best works from CGS, ZBrush Central and other, highly regarded, computer graphics forums. It is a little sad to think that if I'd seen the image anywhere else I'd just have assumed that it was created in Max, Maya, Modo, ZBrush, Mudbox...almost anything but Lightwave, not because it isn't capable but just because that's generally how it is.

Brilliant :)

Wow, high praise indeed. Thank you very much, it's greatly appreciated. I know exactly what you mean, regarding looking at 3d work, and never thinking that Lightwave was used on it. It's a crying shame though, because Lightwave is MORE than capable of creating amazing 3d images.

Very nice. I am working on a pin up girl for nose art on that B-29 bomber I posted earlier. Those chicks were just so hot!

A pinup girl has been on my to-do list since I first learnt what a polygon was :) That was 11 years ago :P

In a previous job I had to examine a dozen of these maquettes. This model looks great and from what I can see it's spot on.

Thanks bud. "spot on" is more than good enough for me :P

Thanks again everybody. What an awesome response. :thumbsup:

colkai
03-13-2012, 04:15 AM
If i didn't know better, I'd say you'd just took a movie of the actual sculpture. Excellent stuff!

lino.grandi
03-13-2012, 05:09 AM
All I can say is a big BRAVO!
Awesome work.

akademus
03-13-2012, 05:20 AM
Hmmm... ommm.... I don't know. It nooooot baaaad overaaaall... uhmmm...

Oh. OK then. I think its great!!!

Sweeeet!

MAUROCOR
03-13-2012, 06:42 AM
Very nice! Congrats!:thumbsup:

zatara
03-13-2012, 07:10 AM
very beautiful!!!

OnlineRender
03-13-2012, 08:49 AM
that is one sexy render....

nikfaulkner
03-13-2012, 08:55 AM
i love it, the lighting and shading is perfect. care to share a screengrab of your node setup. never used delta before and cant find a whole lot of info on it.

keep up the great work

Nigel
03-14-2012, 06:13 AM
If i didn't know better, I'd say you'd just took a movie of the actual sculpture. Excellent stuff!

:thumbsup: Thanks bud. I was pretty chuffed with how it came out in the end, and surprised, because it kinda all just "worked" without too much tinkering. Working in LCS really makes things easier.

All I can say is a big BRAVO!
Awesome work.

Grazie Mille!

Hmmm... ommm.... I don't know. It nooooot baaaad overaaaall... uhmmm...

Oh. OK then. I think its great!!!

Sweeeet!

Hehe, Hvala Vojo! :-) See you soon buddy.

Very nice! Congrats!:thumbsup:

Thank you :)

very beautiful!!!

that is one sexy render....

Hehe, thanks. I'm sure. Though I'm sure most of that sexiness is her, not the actual render :D

i love it, the lighting and shading is perfect. care to share a screengrab of your node setup. never used delta before and cant find a whole lot of info on it.

keep up the great work

Thanks bud. I wont claim to know exactly how it all works. My understanding of it, is that it's a physically accurate shader, so as you increase the specularity (Reflection) ... the diffuse will automatically drop.

I've attached a screengrab of the Delta setup. It's pretty bog standard, no tricks. I've also attached my lighting setup, as a shader is only as good as the lighting, and vice versa.

nikfaulkner
03-14-2012, 06:44 AM
thanks nigel,

ahhhhhhh so your using something else to drive the refection on the node. sweet i shall have a tinker.

thanks again

n.

Waves of light
03-14-2012, 06:48 AM
Hope NT's watching, it would look good in the gallery. And thanks for the nodel setup Nigel.

BlackJack3D
03-14-2012, 10:54 AM
wow wow nice! ;)

SaleVonGeist
03-14-2012, 07:35 PM
Really beautiful work!

ksnoad
03-15-2012, 02:15 AM
Very very nice indeed :)

Kev xx

Matt
06-03-2012, 06:40 PM
Love it, love it, love it!

Thanks for sharing your setup for others to learn too! What a Gent!

Chuck
06-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Really nice work! :)