PDA

View Full Version : Flocking - Avoid not working with Range

raw-m
03-07-2012, 09:21 AM
Anyone having problems with this or is it just me!? Following the tut in the manual. I've added a Director set to Avoid. As my flock makes it's way to the goal object the outer circle of the Avoid Director doesn't seem to influence anything, just the smaller bit in the middle. Am I missing something?

dwburman
03-07-2012, 09:25 AM
If I remember the docs correctly, range isn't the same as strength or weight.

raw-m
03-07-2012, 09:53 AM
Thanks Mr Burman! This is from the manual:

On the path in-between our Generator and Goal add a new Avoid Director and set its range to something adequate for your scene (try a range of 10 m to start and if that seems overlarge adjust) .

All I have to play with is the Range and Weight for an Avoid Director. I can crank up the Range but then the red outer circle has no relation to what's going on....

dwburman
03-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Also from the manual:

Weight - For a Goal or Converge Director this dictates how much overshoot an agent will make when reaching their goal . A low weight means that the overshoot will be significant, a higher weight will tighten the agent’s orbit around the goal .

For an Avoid or Deflect Director weight determines how far out from the central point of the director the flock will be permitted to come . Set the weight high enough and the flock won’t enter the sphere of influence at all .

So the range is the sphere of influence with a linear falloff from the ring to the center of the ring. I wonder if there's a better way to indicate the weight/range relationship because it isn't immediately obvious. I had the same problem you did with my flocking tests. I wonder if strength would be a better word than weight. Weight is often used in non-physical terms (i.e. "weighted averages"), but I expect it to mean gravitational pull in the context of physics sims.

raw-m
03-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Yes, I agree the terms feel a little un-natural. The ranging isn't feeling very linear, either. Fortunately, it's pretty painless to get quick feedback so I've been tweaking by eye. In fact, my main problem at the moment is knowing when to say "right, that's it, done"! You can tweak until the herds flock home!