PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 11 - Worth to upgrade.

ben martin
03-07-2012, 04:52 AM
Hi all Lightwavers,

If you look around this forum and search for my posts, you’ll easily notice that, among other voices, I have been one of the most critical about certain choices made by NT regarding LW development.
I understand that I have been part of a difficult crowd.
The reason for this is because I always believed that NT did not take advantage of several occasions (in the past) to really improve the product we all love.

I’ve chosen not to pre-upgrade from Lightwave 10.1 to Lightwave 11 right away for several disagreement reasons but now, after test Lightwave 11, seems fair that I state openly that I vividly recommend to all users, that like my had some doubts, that this Lightwave 11 is very well worth to upgrade.

Is this the perfect version? No it is not!
I still missing good CA tool improvements.
Yes, the FBX import filter is better in this version when compared to early versions but there is still much room for improvement in this FBX filter and about CA tools in general.

About the FBX import filter specifically, some maps are not correctly imported (transparencies) and the filter does not give any option (import) to blend mesh rigs that should be all parented in the scene (example: cloth, hair, props and body exported from DAZStudio that are part of the same character).

Is this a joy killer?
No, it is not, but the actual FBX import method represents some extra work, extra work that I could very well live without.

Regarding the extra new addition tools (bullet dynamics, FFX improvements, flock… and so on) these new tools are not the main reason why I am recommending the upgrade.

The tools are very welcome, sure, but what makes me recommend this version is the rock solid (from all the stress tests I’ve conducted so far) code state and the new render global parameters that (if correctly tuned) delivers faster and better results than any previous version.

The new volumetric lights are fantastic and the addition of volume to the distant – (sun) light was a very intelligent option.
Again, the modeler and CA still being treated like the poor parent of the family but I truly hope that Newtek takes a deep breath and decide to dip their hands dirty to finally solve these problems in a very near future.

Bottom line, I am absolutely going to upgrade.
If for any given reason you are the kind of user that like to consider other users opinion about a product, then here you have my two cents.

Thanks for reading.

kopperdrake
03-07-2012, 05:12 AM
Yup - loving it here too - not without its glitches, but solid enough for work I'm doing right now and a decent step in the right direction :thumbsup:

bazsa73
03-07-2012, 05:27 AM
But Ben! Distant lights were capable of being volumetric since ages :)

MAUROCOR
03-07-2012, 05:55 AM
The new volumetric lights are fantastic and the addition of volume to the distant (sun) light was a very intelligent option.

I was wondering... what new volumetric lights?

Waves of light
03-07-2012, 06:16 AM
Ben, it's good to see users giving positive feedback, even after their initial reviews.

Been playing with it for a week (when I've had the time). I've checked out Instancing (along with Denis' version) and that seems excellent. Shadow catcher was fun, can see some uses. I will still need to get my head around the new Sampling system. Now putting time aside to play with UNITY, Bullet and Flocking.

I've noticed a lot less crashes whilst using LW11.

For $495 it's looking like a yes.

Waves of light
03-07-2012, 06:22 AM
Also, Ben, I've noticed this is a double thread, may want to get admin to remove one:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=126436

ben martin
03-07-2012, 07:27 AM
MAUROCOR
bazsa73
Volumetric lights:
I confess that I only noticed distant volumetric light since v10 but the results were very awkward (at least from my tests – attached image).
NOTE:
I am not sure if this volumetric problem is a constant to all users but my tests in 10.1 ended always like this.
In version 11, this problem is solved and the volume render is faster.
I guess it is related with the new global render settings implemented but I can be wrong.
(So, this is why I noted: “intelligent” implementation of the “new” volumetric global rendering settings)
Again, I can very well be wrong.

Waves of light:
Duplicated post:
This post is indeed repeated in HC forum and here in General section.
At first, I was decided to post only on HC forum (since it was there were I’ve posted most of my rant) but then I remember that not all users have access to HC forum.
This is the only reason I decided to duplicate the post here.

Anyway, the forum Admin is free to act as he see fit about this issue.

Nicolas Jordan
03-07-2012, 09:01 AM
After playing around with the trial and using most of the new features I think LW11 is definitely worth the upgrade! For those that have the money for it and can make use of the new features I highly recommend it. I really like the Bullet Dynamics and the way it was implemented. I find it much better than other implementations. :thumbsup:

I am probably going to put my Lightwave upgrade money towards a new computer this time around so I will have to catch up with things when LW12 rolls around. I also don't have any immediate need or use for many of the new features in LW11 in my day to day work so that is another reason I have opted out this time around.