PDA

View Full Version : Help Please with liveset creation

Salianna
03-06-2012, 11:17 PM
I am going to design a Custom Virtual set for Tricaster Studio. I have never used Tricaster Studio and at the moment I donít have possibility to reach it. The client is going to order it and I need to give him full information. I have some questions, and please can you help:

Since before I used VSE and imported Photoshop files and generated angles from VSE and used it on the same machine (Tricaster 300). At this time, it is NOT possible to install VSE on a TriCaster Studio. SO, I have two options:

a) To Import Photoshop files and make all the necessary operations I need to on a Tricaster 300 VSE and then put it in a Tricaster Studio somehow. In this case, I donít know how to take this ready-made Virtual Sets from Tricaster 300 and install it on Tricaster Studio.

b) Second option is to use TriCaster TCXD LiveSet SDK to create Live Set. I understand it needs some technical knowledge, but I think I can sort it out. I need to know if the LiveSet that is created using TCXD can work with Tricaster Studio and what problems I may have if I decide to use TriCaster TCXD LiveSet SDK.

Please advise me what to do, which way to go.

Thank You for your help!

Tim H.
03-07-2012, 09:36 AM
Hi,

Unfortunately, you have a few things working against you in this process. Both the VSE and SDK have no use in creating a virtual set for the TriCaster STUDIO. They are useful only with the HD series of TriCaster.

Not having ready access to a system that will allow you to test your files will be a major impediment to delivering the proper file format to your client.

Your best bet is to use the LightWave LiveSet plugin. You will need a registered version of LightWave, but not one of the two most recent versions of LightWave, because the plugin doesn't work with LW 10 or LW 11.

There is also a utility that converts .jpg files into LiveSets, but the functionality of the output file is severely limited, relative to the capability of the files produced by the LightWave plugin. Further, the utility/converter requires a registered TriCaster STUDIO (or other SD-only TriCaster).

I hope this helps. I do not envy your situation. When we first started to convert some of our designs to the SD-only TriCasters, it was a mini-nightmare for us.

Sincerely,

Tim Hedegaard
Virtualsets.com, Inc.
NewTek Authorized Reseller
Customized LiveSets for HD-series TriCasters

www.virtualsets.com
[email protected]

(323) 512-1542 voice

Salianna
03-08-2012, 05:41 AM
Dear Tim,

Thank you for your informative answer!
Can you please tell me more about this utility? it it a tool? or application? The client doesn't need much, only two angle news set.
and regarding LW plug-in: TriCaster Studio will be registered when its arrived; even if the client agrees to buy the software, don't you think it will take me long to study LW and figure out how to apply plug-in? i work in 3d Max.

again thank you ))

Eric Pratt
03-08-2012, 08:32 AM
I wouldn't recommend it, but there's nothing stopping you from designing in 3D Studio and importing it into Lightwave 9.6 and exporting via the plugin. It wouldn't require you to learn much Lightwave. I do much the same in reverse for when I do a set for a realtime virtual set system that requires a .max file (and I don't know a bit about 3D Studio Max).
That said, I should point out, that we have almost 100 virtual sets already made for the Tricaster Studio: http://www.virtualset.com/platforms/Tricaster/index.htm and can modify any of them to meet your needs for a modest fee: http://www.virtualsetworks.com/Virtual-Set-Design.htm
Just a suggestion.

Tim H.
03-08-2012, 08:45 AM
Hi Salianna,

Everyone here (at our company) uses 3ds max. I have personally started with 3D Studio r2 for DOS in the early/mid 1990s.

When we were first asked to create LiveSets for the SD-only TriCasters, we declined, due to the difficulty converting everything.

When we were finally convinced to do this (for an existing client), we needed to convert to LightWave to properly do the conversion. Our experience was both expensive (we bought a very good, but expensive converter) and time-consuming. It worked reasonably well, but still required a fair amount of manipulation within LightWave.

I can say with certainty that if you have only used 3ds max, you will find LightWave very frustrating. We were unable to perform even the most basic functions (move an object, hide an object, etc) without massive time and effort. LightWave is completely different in every way (at least for people that haven't used numerous 3D applications).

The utility (that you can access only with a registered SD-only TriCaster) will do only a basic conversion from a .jpg (or similar) file to a LiveSet file. It does not allow for a virtual desk. It does not allow for a virtual video monitor in the set. No multiple zoom level support.

I feel like I have made this sound like a doom and gloom scenario for you. I wasn't my intent, but you definitely have your work cut out for you. :cry:

Sincerely,

Tim Hedegaard
Virtualsets.com, Inc.
NewTek Authorized Reseller
Customized LiveSets for HD-series TriCasters

www.virtualsets.com
[email protected]

(323) 512-1542 voice

Eric Pratt
03-08-2012, 08:59 AM
1 other thing, I'd be happy to take a shot at converting it provided you can export it to an older version of MAX.

joseburgos
03-08-2012, 10:56 AM
The third option is to use NewTek Aura which comes bundled with VT[5] but unfortunately, it is discontinued and no longer sold.
That said, there are people like myself, who own it and do conversions of PSD files based in the same fashion as you would for VSE except in SD resolution.
I believe Eric and Bill Mills may also offer this service but not sure.

Feel free to contact me if interested.

Take care,

Salianna
03-09-2012, 05:41 AM
Dear all thank you for your responds!
I am waiting for design decisions and will come back to you soon :))

Thank you!