PDA

View Full Version : Instance renderr speed

Philbert
03-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Maybe it's me being naive. I have never used instancing before LW11 but the impression I had was that it's supposed to be a tremendous speed up in render times. In my experiments with it it doesn't really feel that fast. Is it like that for everyone?

djlithium
03-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Compared to practical geometry, absolutely its faster. Faster to load, faster to sort, faster to work with in the GUI itself, at render time your speeds will vary, but its faster there too. It still has to go through all the same AA and RT functions as you would with practical (vs virtual/instanced) geometry so its going to slow down from that stand point but really, its way faster than using non-instanced set ups. Trust me I know, I would never have been able to make it through several shots without it on IronSky. Never in a million years would I have been able to do it without instancing on the set ups we had (hardware for rendering and the network it was attached to) and it (LW11) was still in super beta at the time when I did those shots. Worked like a charm!

Philbert
03-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Perhaps it seems slower because it enables me to add so many objects so easily.

dwburman
03-06-2012, 06:04 PM
I remember when HD_Instance came out the big deal was being able to use more geometry. It may have been a little slower than rendering actual geometry back then, but with RAM prices being higher and no 64-bit version, instancing was the only way to do some shots in one pass.

Lewis
03-07-2012, 01:39 AM
KAT is right, it's faster, you wouldn't be able to even render so many stuff without instancing so in that regard it's tons faster and easier on RAM :). But we are get adapted easy to add lot more stuff we can do so yeah your renders will be slower and slower as much stuff you add and you'll add it surely now when we can but that's normal ;).

In 90's we waited hours and hours (or day/night) for small 640*480 renders of few simple objects but now we do lot more stuff in lot bigger resolutions and downside is hours of hours of wait again :). 3D will never be real-time ;).

Mitja
03-07-2012, 07:20 AM
The new instancing let's you set the per-object GI settings for instances only?

Philbert
03-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Well here's my test that I came up with after thinking about the next Android version after ICS, Jellybean. There are 450,000 beans at 54 sub-D polys each. 640x360 res. Render time was 5hrs 25min. I actually didn't think the beans had that many polys in them, I was thinking it was more like 20.

Lewis
03-07-2012, 09:18 AM
Hmm, 5h25m on that resolution seems very extreme even if your older machine, Something in your settings is making it so long. can you post scene for testing ?

Philbert
03-08-2012, 10:01 AM
OK thanks to Lewis it now takes just over 5 minutes for the same quality.

chco2
03-08-2012, 10:47 AM
So what did you change in the settings to go from 5 hrs to 5 mins?

OK thanks to Lewis it now takes just over 5 minutes for the same quality.

Philbert
03-08-2012, 11:18 AM
sIBL had the radiosity cranked way too high by default.