PDA

View Full Version : Official support for backburner

Jim M
03-06-2012, 07:55 AM
This would be so useful, we have a load of machines using AD products through backburner at work. Rather than runnign 2 potentially argumentative render managers..... please do this Newtek. Please.

Jure
03-06-2012, 03:06 PM
There's this script (http://www.kraytracing.com/joomla/forum/index.php?f=6&t=2494&rb_v=viewtopic#p15404) from an unknown guy over at kray forums that allows you to send jobs to Backburner. The script needs to be rconfigured a bit to work with your farm but I'm acctualy working now on a new script that will allow better control for this.

geo_n
03-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Might as well post it here from thread at krayforum.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmfLk8_M-SI
Kray network render via bburner using my corei3 and quadcore.

Thanks again Jure and looking forward to the next version.

Jim M
03-07-2012, 01:59 AM
Cool guys, hopefully it will be as easy as the AE2BB app. Fill in some IP options etc and go!

Any idea with regard to timings Jure?

geo_n ... nice!

Jure
03-07-2012, 02:07 AM
The script I got is pretty messy so I'll have to rebuild it from scratch. I hope I can have something usable in a week or so (depends on how much free time i can find).

Jim M
03-07-2012, 02:11 AM
Cool, I might hold off getting the IT person at work to mess around with the current one. No pressure ;)

On a serious note... many thanks.

Jim

Jim M
03-07-2012, 03:49 AM
+
http://www.jigsaw3d.com/articles/use-backburner-to-queue-renders-from-non-autodesk-software

zardoz
03-08-2012, 05:34 PM
this what I like, everyone trying to improve this script. Thanks everyone. I know I messed it a bit ;P but if you guys can improve it, it would be a great help to everyone.
cheers

Jure
03-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Alright guys, so here it is.. the rewritten script for submiting LW scenes to Backburner.

Read readme.txt for explanation and send me back any bug reports or comments you may have.

geo_n
03-10-2012, 09:41 PM
Thanks Jure! Its working super! Now I don't need to ask people to install other network program on their pc and I can use backburner together with 3dmax, maya, AE.

Jure
03-12-2012, 05:26 AM
Here's an update with the following changes:
-------------------------------
* added button to reset frame range
* added field to enter config location (this can be different than the one current LW is running). This way your farm can use custom config...

Note: Please delete backburner.cfg from your LW config before running this update or else it will report error!

zardoz
03-12-2012, 08:28 AM
Hi Jure. already tested it and works perfectly. Done!
and when you add the same scene to backburner it creates a new one with _2, etc.

thanks.

Jure
03-13-2012, 02:32 AM
Small update... It wasn't working properly with long filenames.

lardbros
03-13-2012, 07:04 AM
Thanks guys... even better than the 3dsmax one if it adds a number to the same scene being sent, we have to do this manually for 3dsmax!

Thanks again! :D

geo_n
03-13-2012, 07:53 AM
Thanks again Jure.
Now if NT updates lwsn to show the image while being rendered on the nodes like 3dmax does that would be great. Completely frees up my workstation while looking at nodes thru vnc while vray, mray, scanline renders.

zardoz
03-13-2012, 12:31 PM
yes that would be really useful. Not knowing what is happening is nasty.

lardbros
03-14-2012, 06:52 AM
Tried it yesterday, and it works great! We have to run LW as administrator to get it working, but it's great to have it all running perfectly!

Can't thank you enough... both Jure and Zardoz, thanks!! :D

zardoz
03-14-2012, 08:46 AM
usually networks don't allow to create .bat files...I had that problem here before.

Jim M
03-14-2012, 10:01 AM
How do you get round that then?

Tried setting it up to run locally.
Both running manager locally and not. Server running locally.
Tried local scene files and network.
Tried running LW as admin.
Tried running BB server as admin
Tried running BB manager as admin
Tried sharing LW folders.

'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Process exited with error code (1) on 'operable program or batch file.'
&
“access is denied. (0x5) “Task error:Process cannot be added to job group” “Process cannot be added to job group”

No joy. Any ideas?

Double checked that server.exe is set to run as admin with full permissions. So it doesn't appear to be that. Any help much appreciated.

geo_n
03-14-2012, 10:38 PM
“access is denied. (0x5) “Task error:Process cannot be added to job group” “Process cannot be added to job group”

That error usually involves admin rights to shared folders or not using a pro or ultimate version of os.
If its the first I would make sure to add in usergroup "everybody" and assign read/write access to that group in the shared folder.
The second can't do anything about it except exclude non pro os from the render network.

Jure
03-15-2012, 02:08 AM
How do you get round that then?

Tried setting it up to run locally.
Both running manager locally and not. Server running locally.
Tried local scene files and network.
Tried running LW as admin.
Tried running BB server as admin
Tried running BB manager as admin
Tried sharing LW folders.

'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Process exited with error code (1) on 'operable program or batch file.'
&

No joy. Any ideas?

Double checked that server.exe is set to run as admin with full permissions. So it doesn't appear to be that. Any help much appreciated.

Looks like a path issue. Can you send me debug.log from the log folder?

Jim M
03-15-2012, 02:46 AM
Thanks Jure, will do later on today, when I do another attempt.

Running Win7 Pro. Would that cause an issue?

Jure
03-15-2012, 02:47 AM
No... If you ran with admin priviliges like you said you should be fine.

Jim M
03-15-2012, 02:59 AM
The log file that is created in a folder in the scenes folder simplay has this...

Calling '"C:\Users\jmeston\AppData\Local\backburner\ServerJo b\LWSN.bat" "-dC:\Users\jmeston\Desktop\bb test" LW2BB_Job\1.lws 1 1 test\LW2BB_Job\Log\debug.log' from 'C:\Users\jmeston\AppData\Local\backburner\ServerJ ob\'
Process cannot be added to job group

Hang on thats "1_LW_Frames 1-1.log" not debug.log.... Where do I find debug.log?

lardbros
03-15-2012, 06:05 AM
I reckon it's because you're pointing your backburner plugin to a LWSN.exe path that has spaces in it. LWSN cannot use any file path that has spaces in it... so try to put the LSWN.exe folder in a folder that doesn't have spaces in it. Looks to me like you've got it in your 'program files' folder and therefore giving an error when it gets to the space after 'program'. Hope that helps?

Jim M
03-15-2012, 06:09 AM
Are you saying re-install Lightwave in a non default location?

lardbros
03-16-2012, 06:28 AM
Nope... you don't need to reinstall, just make sure you copy your 'bin' folder, along with the 'support' folder into a location on your network where all your computers can see. Mine is in a network location folder called 'LWScreamerNet' Just make sure it has no spaces. Also, whenever you update your plugins, make sure you copy them in here, in the same folder structure, and it should all be fine and dandy! :)

UnCommonGrafx
03-17-2012, 01:43 PM
help.
I'm getting this when I drag the created bat over:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Backburner\Adapters>"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Backbur
ner\Adapters\CmdjobAdapter.exe" -jobName:"GlassesOnTable-Eye_v007" -manager:192.
168.0.102 -priority:50 -description:"Lightwave Job" -taskList:"Z:\RW\LW2BB_Job\G
lassesOnTable-Eye_v007_Frames.txt" -timeout:60 -taskName:1 -logPath:"Z:\RW\LW2BB
_Job\Log" -jobnameadjust -attach:"Z:\RW\LW2BB_Job\LWSN.bat" -d"Z:\RW" "LW2BB_Job
\GlassesOnTable-Eye_v007.lws" %tp2 %tp3 1>Z:\RW\LW2BB_Job\Log\debug.log
Cmdjob adapter: No opcode at all.
Cmdjob adapter: Parse arguments failed.

%tp2 and %tp3 followed by 1> seem to be my problems, here at the bottom.
How might I fix this?
Doing this at home (on a pc) to prep for doing this on a mac, at work.
Thanks for all the help provided thus far. And that to come.

UnCommonGrafx
03-17-2012, 10:07 PM
And am going to share it here so I can find it later.
:D
I took out those things that were causing me errors. I hope someone can say or show me why these changes might be bad.
I got it to backburner and rendering. This is exciting. I miss tequilascream.
Now for the macs.

three things :
- jobnameadjust reference removed;
- %tp2 removed;
- %tp3 removed.

Jure
03-19-2012, 06:29 AM
I have updated the script removing the -jobnameadjust. I'm not sure why it worked on some machines but not on others. Perhaps it's due to different Backburner versions.
You can get update from my scripts website (see signature for link).

UnCommonGrafx
03-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Jure,
Thanks for your patience, answering my question and for the update!!

Last night I hit something that caused this question: can you use things from another content directory? It wasn't writing one piece of the file out, switching the \ for / for the log path, e.g., z:/ not z:\.

Thanks.

Edit: that one worked without a hitch! Thanks, again.

03-20-2012, 09:16 AM
Hmm,
A question: what would it take to get this to work on a mac? I get:
Line 378, Invalid object method writeln()

I'll look around but hope someone already knows.

Edit: this is me at work, as my normal name is UnCommonGrafx.

Jure
03-21-2012, 01:42 AM
Hmm,
A question: what would it take to get this to work on a mac? I get:
Line 378, Invalid object method writeln()

I'll look around but hope someone already knows.

Edit: this is me at work, as my normal name is UnCommonGrafx.
I don't have mac to test it on so I'm not sure. Is Backburner available on mac anyways?

UnCommonGrafx
03-21-2012, 04:09 AM
Ya, commandline, only, it seems.
I've been trying to set it up over the past two weeks. I am getting somewhere... not where I want to be but getting somewhere.

They took our pcs and gave us imacs. Added all kinds of challenge to the daily grind.

Jure
03-21-2012, 04:39 AM
I've made another small fix to the script. There was again an issue with paths with spaces in it. Should be working fine now. As usual you can get update from my scripts page.

zardoz
03-23-2012, 05:03 AM
Hi Jure,

I've been using your script daily and it works like a brease. But now when I submit a job that is already in bb it doesn't rename it. It used to do it in previous versions.

Jure
03-23-2012, 05:21 AM
Please download latest update. I made couple of fixes. Also make sure you are using latest Backburner version.

Jure
04-04-2012, 01:56 AM
I added small update to the script. Now you can specify job timeout and LW2BB folders are a bit reorganized.

geo_n
04-04-2012, 02:22 AM
getting line 345 argument 1 type in lw 11

Jure
04-04-2012, 03:33 AM
Please delete backburner config file.

lardbros
04-04-2012, 05:45 AM
I added small update to the script. Now you can specify job timeout and LW2BB folders are a bit reorganized.

Thanks very much indeed... was hoping job timeout would be added, and now it has! Yay! :D

zardoz
04-04-2012, 06:48 AM
lol yesterday I edited the script to change the job timeout to 1000 ahaha thanks for this Jure

zardoz
04-05-2012, 04:38 AM
Jure, maybe you should create a thread for this script in the Third Party section of the forums.
cheers

lardbros
04-24-2012, 06:49 AM
Right... my old render nodes work like a charm... trouble is IT have just set up our new one, and want to do all of the old ones the same way, and it doesn't work. Soooo, I'm getting the:

'Process exited with error code (1) on 'operable program or batch file.'

Could it be because our new node won't allow batch files to be run remotely, or is it a file-path issue? It can successfully write the .log files, but clearly won't run the batch files. Any pointers? :)

Jim M
05-04-2012, 09:40 AM
What version of backburner are you guys using?
I really want to get this working.
What would be useful would be a step by step for dummies, as I have got confused as to which folders should be readable over the network, whether I need to copy folders to a mapped network drive etc etc. I am guessing there is something simple I am doing wrong.

Any help appreciated.
Jim M

Danner
05-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Using the latest version Jim.

Choose a folder to use as network drive. Place a copy of lightwave there. configs too. Point Backburner plugin in LW to use them both. Package your scene usingthe network drive as destination. Works here.

zardoz
05-05-2012, 05:40 AM
...as I have got confused as to which folders should be readable over the network...

Any help appreciated.
Jim M

well in doubt all folders should be readable over the network. All network machines should be able to find lightwave and the project. You can't have lightwave configured in a drive like C: because the other machines will look for lightwave in the C: drive so it must be in some network folder. Also the project...it must be in some network folder, because if you have your project in some local drive like C: then the other machines will look for the project in the C: drive too...

if you have everything in netork folders that every machine can see, then it should be fine.

lardbros
05-07-2012, 09:41 AM
Definitely better off not using Mapped drives though... unless you're managing the IT and servers yourself. It is possible to get mapped drives to work when Backburner is running as a service... but you have to run a scheduled task, which is set to run a batch file to map the drive you need. Works great here! :)

Danner
05-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Makes things easier for me to have a mapped drive. If I point lightwave to use //machine name/Scenes in windows XP (I know I should upgrade... soon) it converts it to C://blablabla/Scenes on the other hand if I use a mapped drive it keeps a propper network path.
I am the IT here, so I get to do the fun part of mapping drives on everyones machines. I've had many problems so I'm actually a bit amazed that everything works now haha!

geo_n
05-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Always use mapped drives. Enable user permissions. Disable homegroup passwords. Exit third party firewalls and activate again to refresh outgoing incoming protocols.

Jim M
05-14-2012, 02:49 AM
Thanks for the replies, but I am still being dumb.

1. Create a folder on my machine [MYPC], copy lightwave folder into it. Copy LW configs into it (not sure where to put them?)

2. Set the folder to be a mapped network drive on MYPC. Ensure the permissions are set to allow access for everyone.

Given that the settings I enter for the LW2BB script and BB itself are correct this should work?
So I don't have to map drives or do any setup on the rest of the farm?

Thankyou for your patience.
Jim

zardoz
05-14-2012, 02:59 AM
just make sure that every computer in the farm can see your mapped drive. And lw configs must have everything pointing at the mapped drive too (the LWEXT11.cfg for example must have all plugins set at the mapped drive).

on the rest of the farm you can/should have a .bat file in the startup mapping the drives.

Jim M
05-14-2012, 03:02 AM
OK thats good.

What should the file structure look like for the lw configs location.

X:\LWCONFIGS ??

Or should I make it thus...

X:\Users\jmeston\.NewTek\LightWave\11.0\....

Danner
05-14-2012, 03:18 AM
Copy your configs to the mapped drive, doesn't really matter where, some place you'll remember. Then modify your configs so they point to the lightwave installation on the mapped drive.

When you setup BackBurner it will ask you for your config directory, point it to where you put the configs in the mapped drive. That is how it knows what configs to load.

Then machines on the network will have access to those config files, and the config files will tell the machines where to find the plugins (in the mapped drive of course)

Jim M
05-14-2012, 03:22 AM
Thankyou for the clarity. All is clear now.

I need this sort of stuff spelling out to me, as there is so many things I could do wrong with networky stuff. Thankyou!!!!!!

One last question (hopefully), I don't want to install Max on this machine, we have the latest 2013 max disks, I just want to install the latest backburner. Does someone have a link to the latest BB?
[EDIT] found the install for Backburner 2013.0.0 on the disk. Is this the latest one?

Thankyou all for holding my hand through this probably very simple process.

Much appreciated.
Jim

zardoz
05-14-2012, 04:01 AM
quite probably yes. the latest version at the ad website is 2012.1
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/index?siteID=123112&id=2334435&linkID=9241178

Jim M
05-14-2012, 05:05 AM
When repointing the configs, do I need to use the network address?

Eg, do a search and replace within the configs like so...

search ... C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.0
replace ... \OAK110025\_network_LW_2_BB\LightWave11.0

Obviously "_network_LW_2_BB" is my mapped net drive & OAK110025 is my machine name on the network.

Jim M
05-14-2012, 07:12 AM
More questions I am afraid....

I notice some of the configs store paths in this format \\OAK110027\\_network_LW_2_BB\\ and some in this format \OAK110027\_network_LW_2_BB\ ... does that matter?

When packaging the scene and setting save paths, I can see 3 options.
1. Set to D:\Projects [local]
2. Set to X:\Projects [mapped drive]
3. Set to \NETWORKCOMPUTERNAME\Projects

If it is number 2 then does that mean all the machines in the render farm have to use the same drive letter for the mapped drive?

Currently I have it all working apart from it says its saving the renders to the mapped drive, but there are no images actually saved!!!

Danner
05-14-2012, 08:23 AM
I use method 2, and yes I have all machines use the same letter.

as for troubleshooting the rendering.

Load your scene in lightwave, make sure the save rendered images path is through the network drive.

Jim M
05-14-2012, 08:54 AM
Yeah I was messing up there.

I had the script config set to local, thinking I was on the mapped drive, then I had set the configs using a different method. God I get confused in my old age.

anyway...

IT WORKS NOW!!!!!!!

Thankyou guys, I really appreciate it.

Jim M
05-17-2012, 05:28 AM
Well it works when I run manager and server on my local machine.
So that part is set up correctly.

Now I have expanded to use 2 machines, and I get an error see attachment.
It hangs at that point.
But it sends the job to backburner fine. All the logs and folders and batch files are created fiine. I can even run LWSN_test.bat from the other machine and it renders and saves it correctly.

I have server and manager running as admin. I can see LW and the Configs etc from the network. The scene is referencing the mapped drive, and is packaged in the mapped drive. All running win7pro.

Submitting job:

Job name : test
Job description : Lightwave Job
Manager : 10.0.0.80
Netmask :
Port :
Priority : 50
Submit suspended : No
Working path :
Task log path : X:\Projects\Studio\LW2BB_Job\test\Log
Servers :
Outputs :
Dependencies :
Attach executable : Yes
Task list file : X:\Projects\Studio\LW2BB_Job\test\test_Frames.txt
Task name column : 1
Job parameter file :
Task timeout : 9999 minutes

Email alerts:
To :
Server :
On completion : No
On failure : No
Every Nth task : 0

Executable to batch : X:\Projects\Studio\LW2BB_Job\test\LWSN_test.bat
Parameters : %tp2 %tp3 %tp4

The job will trigger 1 task(s)

Successfully submitted job 752251566

Jim M
05-18-2012, 02:37 AM
Could some upload all the LW config files they are using on their mapped drive so I can eliminate that as a problem.

I have things like this in the LW11-64.CFG that I am unsure of.

DirectoryType Settings X:\LightWave11.0\support\plugins\Extra Plugins\Kray 2.5RC\Common\
PreviewVPOImageFile C:\Users\jmeston\Desktop\image
PreviewVPOAlphaFile C:\Users\jmeston\Desktop\alpha
PreviewImageFile C:\Users\jmeston\Desktop\image

Also the LW_Frame_##.log contains this...

Calling '"C:\Users\jmeston\AppData\Local\backburner\ServerJo b\LWSN_test.bat" 0 3 1' from 'C:\Users\jmeston\AppData\Local\backburner\ServerJ ob'
C:\Users\jmeston\AppData\Local\backburner\ServerJo b>"X:\LightWave11.0\bin\lwsn.exe" -3 -c"X:\LW11configs\11.0" -d"X:\Projects\Test" "LW2BB_Job\test\test.lws" 0 3 1
LightWave AMD64 ScreamerNet Module (Build 2253)

This is the log that is written out from my local machine, which works with backburner manager running on another machine, so I am suspecting the C:\Users\jmeston path is causing an issue when trying to execute on the machine running manager as there is no such directory. Anyway here is a screen grab of my LW2BB script settings attached.

Any help greatly appreciated. Nearly there!

geo_n
05-18-2012, 06:43 AM
If your mapped drive is x: then I suggest you delete your configs then point your plugins to x:
Even your layout and modeller exe should point to x:
Project files point to x:
All other pc nodes point to same mapped drive x: and remove the (____) bracket names,etc and just make identical name for mapped drive in all pc nodes.
Nothing should be pointing to c:
Also delete the backburner.cfg that you made with this plugin which is usually located in the lightwave config folder along with the other lw configs

For example my setup is
R:\LightWave3D96_32\Programs\Config
R:\LightWave11_32\bin\Config
R:\LightWave11_64\bin\Config

Plugins
R:\LightWave3D96_32\Plugins
R:\LightWave11_32\Plugins
R:\LightWave11_64\Plugins

Sample project structure
R:\Project\Ninja_animation\LW\Cut01_cam01_0_60F\Ob jects
R:\Project\Ninja_animation\LW\Cut01_cam01_0_60F\Im ages
R:\Project\Ninja_animation\LW\Cut01_cam01_0_60F\Sc enes
R:\Project\Ninja_animation\LW\Cut01_cam01_0_60F\Re nder

R:\Project\Ninja_animation\LW\Cut02_cam03_30_60F\O bjects
R:\Project\Ninja_animation\LW\Cut02_cam03_30_60F\I mages
R:\Project\Ninja_animation\LW\Cut02_cam03_30_60F\S cenes
R:\Project\Ninja_animation\LW\Cut02_cam03_30_60F\R ender
R:\Project\Ninja_animation\AE
R:\Project\Ninja_animation\Econte
R:\Project\Ninja_animation\Checkback
etc

Lightwave is rocksolid with network rendering and faster when rendering in backburner compared to amleto, butterflynet, renderpal, squidnet that I tested.

Jim M
05-18-2012, 07:32 AM
Thanks geo_n

All other pc nodes point to same mapped drive x: and remove the (____) bracket names,etc and just make identical name for mapped drive in all pc nodes.

ALL my mapped drives in explorer look like this "_network_LW_2_BB ( \\OAK110027 ) ( X: )", (without the spaces next to the brackets, as on this forum it looks like "(X:)"), so when I click this on the address bar the path is just "X:\". I am not sure what you mean by deleting bracket names.

What I did to create the configs though was copy them from my C drive install of lightwave, and manually change the paths to point to X:\
When you say delete my configs, do you mean delete my configs on C drive? and reload the plugins to point to the X drive? Or do you mean delete my X drive configs and recreate them somehow. And when you say point the plugins to the X drive, do you mean do that manually.

It would help if you could upload your LW configs so I could check them against mine. The below lines I have no idea how to change as they aren't project specific.

DirectoryType Scenes C:\Users\jmeston\Scenes
DirectoryType SceneFile C:\Users\jmeston\Scenes
DirectoryType Surfaces C:\Users\jmeston\Surfaces
DirectoryType Previews C:\Users\jmeston\Previews

I have attached my LW configs for reference.
Frustrating... as I am nearly there. Like I say I can run the batch file on the remote machine and it renders through lwsn.exe on that machine, and it saves the file back on my mapped drive. As I said before it just errors with "cmdjob adapter failed to create log file: 'X:\Projects\etc":No such file or directory". and hangs there so it doesnt get far enough to render out. Thus I am thinking it is either trying to write the log file to a non existent path on the remote machine, instead of the mapped drive OR there are user permission problems, which I doubt because I can run the batch and render from that machine and it saves the image correctly.

geo_n
05-18-2012, 07:59 AM
You have to recreate your configs and redirect your plugins from scratch and not copy paste the configs.
That means when you start up lw from X:/ it should be clean like a fresh install. Create a shortcut that redirects your configs to a specific directory
X:\LightWave3D96_32\Programs\lightwav.exe -c"X:\LightWave3D96_32\Programs\Config"
by using a -c switch in your layout and modeller shortcut icon Lw will create the configs based on that network drive.
After that scan your plugins X:/LW_plugins, etc so that all plugins path will point to that drive.
You will have a network ready lw install after all that.

The mapped drive should be like as if its another hard drive in your pc like X:\ and

the bracket I meant to remove was like what you posted _network_LW_2_BB ( \\OAK110027 ) ( X: )

It should only be X:\ and when you check My Computers there's an X:\ drive like a real hardrive.

So in my laptop I have an R:\Shared which is shown like a real hard drive but its a network drive. I removed the junk in the names and named all mapped drive in all my pcs to R:\Shared.

Jim M
05-18-2012, 08:02 AM
I made an edit to the above post.

Ah ok thaks for that.
I will look into how to map the drive like that. I have no idea how.

[EDIT] Attached a screen grab of what it looks like for the sake of clarity.
I only know one way to map a network drive in win7, and thats what it creates.

geo_n
05-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Are you using -c switch for your lw shortcuts to redirect config files and plugins?
Backburner might not work if some of the paths are still pointing to a non network mapped drive.

Jim M
05-18-2012, 08:12 AM
I am on it now. I will report back. Thank you kindly for your input.

Jim M
05-18-2012, 09:13 AM
"cmdjob adapter failed to create log file: 'X:\Projects\etc":No such file or directory"

Still getting error. I am using Backburner form Max 2013 disk.
Going to download one previously linked and try that.

Ok have tried Backburner 2008.1, 2012.1 & 2013.
2008.2 causes a fatal exception, 2012.1 monitor doesn't connect, 2013 works well apart from the error, which they all getting anyway.

Very frustrating after days of effort to still not be up and running. Not sure what to do now :(

geo_n
05-18-2012, 10:24 AM
Not sure but I read that updating backburner creates a lot of problems if you don't uninstall the old versions correctly.
Are you able to network render with SCREAMernet? Maybe it should be tested first.
Or you can try to test butterflynetrender to see if your network is working for rendering.
The trial version has limited functionality and only a few nodes free but its good for testing. Same network drive setup to do in bnr. Bought the pro version long ago and its paid for itself countless times. Paul Lord offers super support.
Or another test is amleto which is free and easy to setup.

lardbros
05-20-2012, 03:59 PM
We still use 2008.1 as the newer versions don't work correctly with 3ds max, or our renderfarm...

I kept getting that log file error, and think it was path based. If your node cannot see your mapped drive, it will throw that error.

Now, tell me, have you got backburner server running as a service or are you just running the server.exe?

zardoz
05-20-2012, 04:26 PM
we also use 2008.1 (the one I posted in some thread around here) and we run the server.exe. I have no errors.

lardbros
05-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Ummmm... we run serversvc.exe because we don't maintain our nodes, so when the IT bods reboot for whatever reason, it will kick back in again... BUT if the guy here having issues is running it as a service, then there is a problem with mapped drives under a service! I'll go through how to do it again if that is the case?! :)

zardoz
05-20-2012, 04:52 PM
actually I don't know how do we start server in the nodes, but I know it's server.exe probably in the startup just like we have some bat file mapping the drives in the startup too. in the working computers we start server.exe manually when we need.

geo_n
05-20-2012, 10:23 PM
server.exe shortcut dragged to startup folder in windows. And then some artist workstation is turned on manually when not in use.
don't use the service.

geo_n
05-21-2012, 01:35 AM
Minor bug
Arbitrary frames, are they supported?

lardbros
05-21-2012, 06:30 AM
What about you Jim M? Are you using the service or just the .exe at startup?

Jim M
07-04-2012, 05:39 AM
Just the shortcuts to server.exe are run on each node on boot.
Still not got it working. The 3dsmax guys have upgraded to 2013, and backburner 2013 so it looks like I am doomed. Rebus renderfarm it is I think from now on :(

lardbros
07-04-2012, 06:12 AM
You also need to run the manager.exe on boot on the machine you designate as manager. (Sorry if you know this, just checking to make sure.)

Then, when you run server.exe you have to go into the options, and point it (using IP, not computer name... sometimes the name doesn't work, but IP always does.) to your manager machine's IP address.

I'm sure Backburner 2013 will work, but we've found that it doesn't on our systems... it would be worth giving it a go though! :)

Jim M
07-04-2012, 07:07 AM
You also need to run the manager.exe on boot on the machine you designate as manager. (Sorry if you know this, just checking to make sure.)Then, when you run server.exe you have to go into the options, and point it (using IP, not computer name... sometimes the name doesn't work, but IP always does.) to your manager machine's IP address. I'm sure Backburner 2013 will work, but we've found that it doesn't on our systems... it would be worth giving it a go though! :)

Yep exactly like you say + LW/configs/Projects on mapped drives which are all visible on networks. I will keep trying occaisionally....

Jim M
07-04-2012, 11:17 AM
Interestingly I just tried it, and have got further than ever before. It has actually got to 4 of the nodes, and rendered and saved back on
to my machine, but the images are black.
Will try again tomorrow.

lardbros
07-05-2012, 06:40 AM
Interestingly I just tried it, and have got further than ever before. It has actually got to 4 of the nodes, and rendered and saved back on
to my machine, but the images are black.
Will try again tomorrow.

Ah... I had this as well... are you running LW as administrator? Right-click on the shortcut and just try it running as administrator! See if that fixes the black files. I can't remember what caused the black images now, should have written it down, but you're very close!!! :)

Jim M
07-05-2012, 07:01 AM
Yo Lardbros, thanks for the help, I set LW and LWSN exes to always run as admin for all users, so I don't think its that.
I will try it on a fresh simple scene, maybe theres something in the scene file.

Still no luck, its the same if I run LW from my C drive configs or my X (mapped) drive configs. Damn, so near.....

lardbros
07-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Just out of interest, what is your scene? I had issues with PFX in a scene I sent to the farm, and it was (obvious now) I hadn't saved out the motions.

Hope you get it sorted!

Jim M
07-11-2012, 02:06 AM
Yeah it seems to be any scene. Even just a box and a light and a camera.

lardbros
07-11-2012, 07:19 AM
Hmmmm, just thinking out loud here... have you opened up all the backburner and manager services and exe's on your firewall? Both TCP and UDP?

Seems like it's an issue with backburner when it's writing the info back to your drive?

Jim M
07-11-2012, 07:57 AM
you know, I didnt think of trying that again after having gone through so many iterations of attempting to get it working. Now you might just have something there, as the last time I tried disabling firewall and testing I wasnt getting anywhere. For the record it simply wouldn't work with 2008, and I am nearly there with 2013. Strange eh.

MSherak
07-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Minor bug
Arbitrary frames, are they supported?

So I took the liberty to update the script and fix this issue along with a couple other issues like the name of the job to the current Scenefile name. Updated the readme.txt and comments are in the script on areas that are hard coded.

The hard coded names will change once you set your Backburner tab to your network settings.

Let me know if there is any issues.

-MSherak

lardbros
07-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Woooo! Niiice! Thanks MSherak!! :) Love this script.

lardbros
07-13-2012, 11:18 AM
So I took the liberty to update the script and fix this issue along with a couple other issues like the name of the job to the current Scenefile name. Updated the readme.txt and comments are in the script on areas that are hard coded.

The hard coded names will change once you set your Backburner tab to your network settings.

Let me know if there is any issues.

-MSherak

Sorry MSherak, tried this today, and it came up with an error saying:

Could not write settings to (nil)

It all worked before, but I'm not sure if I have to open the script and edit your hard-coded bits with my own, or if it's meant to write to those when entered within the interface?

A quick post telling me I'm stupid will suffice :)

MSherak
07-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Sorry MSherak, tried this today, and it came up with an error saying:

Could not write settings to (nil)

It all worked before, but I'm not sure if I have to open the script and edit your hard-coded bits with my own, or if it's meant to write to those when entered within the interface?

A quick post telling me I'm stupid will suffice :)

Here is a clean one without the hardcoded paths.. Make sure that the Backburner tab is the settings for your system.. Only need to set them once.. even if they are already set it's a good idea when you update a script to just go through the motions..

lardbros
07-15-2012, 06:20 AM
Okay... will try this new one then. Thanks for doing that so quickly... will have a go tomorrow when I'm back at work. :)

lardbros
07-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Tested the new script and it seems to do the same thing as the last one I tested. It has all your details hard-coded, and when I change them I get errors. The same as the one above, and also another one, but can't recall exactly what it was.

Gone back to v0.92 which seems to work fine.

lardbros
07-16-2012, 10:02 AM
Okay.... an update. Managed to get the latest script working, but it needed to have the text file already generated from the old one, rather than use the new script to create the little text file. For some reason it was erroring when it was trying to write the text file, whereas the older version doesn't.

Any thoughts Jure?

MSherak
07-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Okay.... an update. Managed to get the latest script working, but it needed to have the text file already generated from the old one, rather than use the new script to create the little text file. For some reason it was erroring when it was trying to write the text file, whereas the older version doesn't.

Any thoughts Jure?

Which file are you referring to?? The backburner.cfg??

What part of the execution does it break?? What do you see in the INFO window before it breaks..

lardbros
07-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Yes, the back burner.cfg file. If I delete it and start from scratch... Using the latest build of your plugin, I get the error "could not write setting to (nil)"

Now that I ran the old version (0.93) and it generated the config file (back burner.cfg) the new script works now too. Not sure what could have changed in the ability to write the config file... Seems weird to me.

There was also another error I got when trying to fill out the config file path. Something about invalid symbols or syntax or something? (but our profiles are roaming and stored on a San, so maybe it's something to do with the path?) If I navigate via the c: drive it seems to be okay (despite the folder location on c: still re routing to the roaming profile somehow).

I'd like to help you find a fix for these errors... I will try and find the other one in more detail.

Thanks for the script though... It really is brilliant!

MSherak
07-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Yes, the back burner.cfg file. If I delete it and start from scratch... Using the latest build of your plugin, I get the error "could not write setting to (nil)"

Now that I ran the old version (0.93) and it generated the config file (back burner.cfg) the new script works now too. Not sure what could have changed in the ability to write the config file... Seems weird to me.

There was also another error I got when trying to fill out the config file path. Something about invalid symbols or syntax or something? (but our profiles are roaming and stored on a San, so maybe it's something to do with the path?) If I navigate via the c: drive it seems to be okay (despite the folder location on c: still re routing to the roaming profile somehow).

I'd like to help you find a fix for these errors... I will try and find the other one in more detail.

Thanks for the script though... It really is brilliant!

hmm interesting since I did not touch any of the backburner config area so could be just a bug, I will check on it.. Pathing can be a tricky thing if you it's not strait forward.. So symbols can get in the way.. You mainly have to stick to command prompt pathing since that is all backburner is..

Learning what backburner does by updating this script is pushing me to getting on to writing a AE backburner script.. Heck might even make one in LW that launches AE projects.. Then place it in the same script if need be to have just a BB launcher... We will see. ;)

I'll get back on the config thing..

-MSherak

lardbros
07-18-2012, 06:13 AM
Thanks for your help. I've modified the actual script now, so my paths are hardcoded for the future. Also, realise that you're not called Jure, but Michael... Jure was the guy who did the coding before... so, apologies for confusing names.

The AE script idea sounds ultra cool!!! How exciting... I love the LightWave community. You've made my life at work using LightWave so much simpler by creating a killer script! Thanks so much!

MSherak
07-18-2012, 04:04 PM
Thanks for your help. I've modified the actual script now, so my paths are hardcoded for the future. Also, realise that you're not called Jure, but Michael... Jure was the guy who did the coding before... so, apologies for confusing names.

The AE script idea sounds ultra cool!!! How exciting... I love the LightWave community. You've made my life at work using LightWave so much simpler by creating a killer script! Thanks so much!

LOL, no problem..

I updated the script to fix and error in my arbitrary exporting.. Was causing a frame in the range to be rendered 2x.. Sorry about that.. You should be able to just copy your hardcoded lines into this one.. Still have not found why the backburner.cfg could not be written.. Still trying to break that part..

-MSherak

Jure
07-19-2012, 01:47 AM
Hey MShreak... I see you took upon updating the script, that's cool since I don't have much time to work on it anyways.
If you want I can host it on my scripts page...

Btw. there used to be Backburner submit script for AFX. I see webpage is down now. I have it archived somewhere though. Let me know if you need it.

MSherak
07-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Hey MShreak... I see you took upon updating the script, that's cool since I don't have much time to work on it anyways.
If you want I can host it on my scripts page...

Btw. there used to be Backburner submit script for AFX. I see webpage is down now. I have it archived somewhere though. Let me know if you need it.

Yea, I would place this updated one on your site.. Thank you for writing this.. I don't mind keeping it updated since I use it on a daily bases now.. And if you have a jumpstart for an AFX script I would love to have it..

Thank you Jure!

-M

Jure
07-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Yea, I would place this updated one on your site.. Thank you for writing this.. I don't mind keeping it updated since I use it on a daily bases now.. And if you have a jumpstart for an AFX script I would love to have it..

Thank you Jure!

-M

Here's the AFX script...

lardbros
07-19-2012, 02:11 PM
I'll say it again... the LW community is simply awesome! Thanks again!! :)

Wish Newtek would ship LightWave with some scripts as impressive as this!!!

MSherak
07-19-2012, 04:00 PM
I'll say it again... the LW community is simply awesome! Thanks again!! :)

Wish Newtek would ship LightWave with some scripts as impressive as this!!!

Well for:
1) BackBurner is not theirs.. But that does not mean it should not ship with one that can access it..
2) If they ship it with it they have to support it.. Course some scripts or plugins have never been updated that have been given.. (ex. vmapspread.p functions were taken out that I used all the time, and I knew the guy that wrote, god rest his soul)

Which brings me to 3..
They should have a REPOSITORY setup at the Newtek site that we a center place for scripts, plugins, presets, etc.. Oh wait we do, the forums.. LOL.. It would be nice though to have a database located on the Newtek site that could be user added to.. Atleast a place that a user could link a site too.. (suggestions off)

But in all honesty, this script is PURELY for Lightwave.. I think it's just awesome that you can get LW up and running on a competitors render manager by writing a script.. Shows the power of the command line renderer.. What would be nice if they could open the Network Rendering functions to be scripted.. Then we could write one for ScreamerNet with launching abilities.. :rock:

Ok time to check out the AE script Jure left..

-M

Jim M
07-29-2012, 03:00 AM
I have got this working on my farm at work. Amazing.
Not sure what got it working entiely, but after upgrading to 2013 it was failing.
I have found it only works if I package scene to the mapped drive, or create the scene in the mapped drive. I was creating scene in my local work folder and copying it to my mapped drive then loading it and ensuring the save paths etc were to mapped drive, but that still didnt work as the auto content directory was referencing my D:\ (for scene images) not my X:\. Package scene fixes this and makes it all work. Thanks for everyone who helped me get this working, and thanks for an amazing script. WIN!

zardoz
07-29-2012, 04:34 AM
well, that's really strange (referencing to D:) because I work in several places and then simply copy the project folder to the mapped drive and it works fine, I don't have to package scene. Do you use the content folder like this?
Project name
- images
- objects
- scenes
and always point the lwcontent to the 'project name' folder?

also we have to be always careful with spaces and non english characters in our paths.

but congratulations on getting it to work. for me it's amazing. At work we use max, xsi, after effects and nuke and they all use backburner to render...if I couldn't get lightwave to do the same it would be really bad for me.

Jim M
07-30-2012, 02:27 AM
Project name
- images
- objects
- scenes

Yes but capitilised first letters.
Spaces may sometimes occur in the paths, but package scene wouldn't fix that. So might just be an anomoly one that one scene. To be honest using package scene is a good idea for me as I often reference large data size HDRis in my scenes rather than copy them into each work folder.

Same deal here, it would be frowned upon to run a different net render package along side an already working one, we have jobs coming from a few apps, so it's awesome. Thanks again for the help.

zardoz
07-30-2012, 02:47 AM
Well I also use HDRI a lot (thanks blochi for sIbl and the monthly sibl sets!) and we keep a folder in another mapped drive so even when I'm working locally my hdrs come from that mapped drive.

(lol in the end I always use apartment.hdr...it's so funny because we use that hdr a lot and everybody points at the render "there's the apartment window ahah")

Jim M
07-30-2012, 02:55 AM
I don't have direct access to the renderfarm machines, so can't go mapping stuff willy nilly. It works so I am happy :)

I have used apartment more times than I can shake a stick at too !! Sometimes have to desat. though as that red cup gets obvious...

geo_n
07-30-2012, 08:21 AM
If your mapped drive is x: then I suggest you delete your configs then point your plugins to x:
Even your layout and modeller exe should point to x:
Project files point to x:
Nothing should be pointing to c:
Also delete the backburner.cfg that you made with this plugin which is usually located in the lightwave config folder along with the other lw configs

For example my setup is
R:\LightWave3D96_32\Programs\Config
R:\LightWave11_32\bin\Config
R:\LightWave11_64\bin\Config

Plugins
R:\LightWave3D96_32\Plugins
R:\LightWave11_32\Plugins
R:\LightWave11_64\Plugins

Sample project structure
R:\Project\Ninja_animation\LW\Cut01_cam01_0_60F\Ob jects
R:\Project\Ninja_animation\LW\Cut01_cam01_0_60F\Im ages
R:\Project\Ninja_animation\LW\Cut01_cam01_0_60F\Sc enes
R:\Project\Ninja_animation\LW\Cut01_cam01_0_60F\Re nder

R:\Project\Ninja_animation\LW\Cut02_cam03_30_60F\O bjects
R:\Project\Ninja_animation\LW\Cut02_cam03_30_60F\I mages
R:\Project\Ninja_animation\LW\Cut02_cam03_30_60F\S cenes
R:\Project\Ninja_animation\LW\Cut02_cam03_30_60F\R ender
R:\Project\Ninja_animation\AE
R:\Project\Ninja_animation\Econte
R:\Project\Ninja_animation\Checkback
etc

Lightwave is rocksolid with network rendering and faster when rendering in backburner compared to amleto, butterflynet, renderpal, squidnet that I tested.

Jim, Glad you got it working. Its safer to use mapped drive for everything like this sample setup. I don't usually need to package scene because I work in this directory structure. I only do packagescene when I get a scene from someone else that doesn't use this directory structure.

Btw is the update from MSherak stable? So just delete old plugin and config and add this new one from MSherak?

Jim M
07-30-2012, 08:26 AM
I prefer to work on a local drive, where net access can't cause problems. So my solution I am happy with. Thanks for the input though, I did consider doing that. Someone else could easily delete my project files by mistake though... so screw that. :)

geo_n
07-30-2012, 08:35 AM
I prefer to work on a local drive, where net access can't cause problems. So my solution I am happy with. Thanks for the input though, I did consider doing that. Someone else could easily delete my project files by mistake though... so screw that. :)

I think there's a way to make it read only for users/nodes in windows permission and security. Only the render folder will be set to read/write status so nodes are able to write render files in render folder.
Working local is ok but packagescene is a must.

Jim M
07-30-2012, 08:37 AM
10 4
I quite like package scene in the process as it ensures all is present too.
Anyway, I LOVE the renderfarm!!!

geo_n
07-30-2012, 08:45 AM
10 4
I quite like package scene in the process as it ensures all is present too.
Anyway, I LOVE the renderfarm!!!

Yeah I love backburner! I had to bug Jure at kray forum to do it which I'm glad he had time to do it. It would have been buried here at newtek even after many many requests from zardoz and I.

zardoz
07-30-2012, 09:44 AM
it's a life changer.

lardbros
08-31-2012, 05:51 AM
Hmmm... I've recently tried running this script again, and I'm getting errors again :(

Basically... the script says it's all been sent successfully, but when I read the log file i get this error:

'Cannot create job: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.'

I cannot find any errors in the firewall of either machine, and can't figure out what's going wrong.

I'm trying this in LW11.0.2. Are there any issues with ScreamerNet with this build?

Also, updated BackBurner to 2013 on my machine, but all others are running 2008. Are there any scripting changes between them all? Just as a note, it all works fine from 3dsMax :(

zardoz
08-31-2012, 09:59 AM
Well I don't have the knowledge to help you with this. I can only say that at work we don't update backburner because the person that knows more about this uses xsi and he keeps an old version of backburner.he says that newer versions have changes that created problems with his xsi script (works the same way as ours)...

lardbros
10-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Can I ask everyone who uses this Backburner script... has ANYONE managed to get it working with Backburner 2013?

We've got to a point where Autodesk are no longer supporting 2008.1.1, so we HAVE to upgrade... (which even causes massive headaches for 3dsMax 2013...) but if this LW script won't work any longer, I'll cry!!

Anyone had any luck?

Jim M
10-25-2012, 01:50 AM
I can confirm it works with BB2013.
Kray render working also working fine.

Jim M
10-25-2012, 02:32 AM
I can confirm it works with BB2013.
Kray render working also working fine.

In fact actually Kray not working for me, it worked with 2008. Sorry for any confusion!

zardoz
10-25-2012, 02:55 AM
I have not tested it yet, we are still using 2012 (and older versions) of max and xsi. I'll have to check that then.

lardbros
10-25-2012, 07:03 AM
Right... I've got it (for our set up atleast)!! Been working at this... and am now (again, happens every year) a backburner and Windows ninja ;)

If you are having issues with Backburner and IPV6 problems (usually an error message in the backburner log file saying something about errors connecting)... there are Microsoft 'Fix It' installers that modify Window's default setting of "Prefer IPV6 over IPV4", and makes it prefer IPV4 instead... it works like a charm!!! And now I'm happy, and LightWave works with 2013.0.2 too!

Link to the Microsoft Fix It installers:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2533454

Jim M
10-30-2012, 08:16 AM
Good work Lardbros

lardbros
10-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Thanks!

Just hope this info can help some other people. This forum is such a handy resource, I'm always glad when I can return the favour!

Jim M
10-31-2012, 02:51 AM
I didn't need to use the fix it app to get it working with 2013. It just worked, but I think the IT here setup the network in a specific way so probabpy already IPV4.
Just need to get Kray working now as using it on a project, it is frustrating being limited to single machine when doing multiple print resolution renders.

lardbros
10-31-2012, 07:29 AM
I didn't need to use the fix it app to get it working with 2013. It just worked, but I think the IT here setup the network in a specific way so probabpy already IPV4.
Just need to get Kray working now as using it on a project, it is frustrating being limited to single machine when doing multiple print resolution renders.

Lucky for some eh? :D Unfortunately IT seem to lock EVERYTHING down, so unless something is easy to fix, it cannot be done here... luckily this was the fix... but if Microsoft hadn't released these little installers, it would have had to be lots of trawling through the registry to sort it out... :D

Hope you get Kray working too...

I've stumbled across a weird rendering issue in LW using Backburner (but am assuming it happens just using Screamernet, as it uses that anyway)...

Animated disaplacements come out all kinds of wrong... the sequence comes out all wrong... as if each node doesn't have a clue where the procedural texture is meant to be at each frame. VERY WEIRD! Will probably fogbugz it...

Jim M
10-31-2012, 08:02 AM
Enveloped or reference object?

lardbros
10-31-2012, 12:21 PM
Enveloped I think... But good question, can't remember. Are there known issues with either?

Jim M
11-01-2012, 03:16 AM
Not known by me, but it occured to me that by using the other method (whichever that happens to be) you might get a lucky quickfix.

lardbros
11-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Oh, I see... good plan, I'll give it a go and report back!!

geo_n
11-17-2012, 07:51 AM
Here's another tip for an error I got while updating some rendernodes to windows 8 yesterday.
If you get error 0000274c. This will be the fix.
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15084607&linkID=9242258
Strange it didn't happen to use moving some nodes to windows 7. It did for windows 8.

lardbros
11-19-2012, 06:58 AM
Cool, thanks for the tip... always good to know for the future!

Jim M
12-13-2012, 04:59 AM
Hi guys,

Anyone know what the latest version number is on this script? I am on 0.99 but want to make sure I have the latest one.

Also I think this script is important, so if whoever wrote it/owns it could upload to LWpluginDB that would be good.

[EDIT] Scrap that I found the latest plugin on Jures script page ... Doh!

J

Jim M
12-13-2012, 06:27 AM
For info, I now have LW and Kray to Backburner fully operational. The issue was a plugin path mismatch, as I setup Kray on my network install (configs) to be ".....\Kray 2.5\Win64\LW11\" whilst it was looking for ".....\Kray 2.5RC2\Win64\LW11\"
I was sure it was set the same thus overlooked it. I must have updated Kray, changed the path slightly on my local install, and forgot to duplicate on my X drive.
What an eejit!!
phew!

zardoz
12-13-2012, 07:58 AM
yes. before the script I had already worked fine for me (except for the frame step problem) but now it is working perfectly. I also agree that this should be in lwplugindb.
honestly I think that Newtek should add this plugin to lightwave because it's very important for our integration in a studio. If I had to convince my boss to disconnect computers from the farm to be working only for lightwave I would already be out of here. With this script LW works on side with max, nuke, xsi and after effects.

Jim M
12-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Here is a little basic doc for anyone who just gets lost when setting it up.
It doesn't cover every detail but gives an overview of the road I took.

Cheers,
Jim

lardbros
12-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Great work Jim!!

I agree though... this should be bundled with LW! It's a brilliant script, and it's working more stable than even with 3ds max 2013. :D

Jim M
01-11-2013, 05:36 AM
Any thoughts on this? Basically turbulence fd won't netrender through this script as turbulence needs a load of DLLs in a folder called 'libs' which should be in the same folder as the *.p plugin.
I believe lw2bb script / batchfiles grab the *.p files but not the dlls. Any help appreciated.

that's not entirely true anymore since there is no installer anymore. But you will have to make sure that not only the .p files but also the libs folder from the TFD installation directory is copied to the render nodes.
If you can modify the script to copy the whole folder that contains the .p file of a plugin instead of just the .p file, that would be an option.
Alternatively, if the destination folder where the .p fles are placed on the render nodes does not get deleted between runs of the script, you could copy the libs folder there once so that the script does not have to do that.

> Hi there just bought Turbulence for lightwave. Thankyou!
>
> In testing I can't get it to network render. I read this "Note that on Windows you have to run the installer once on every machine to install the nessecary runtime DLLs." but unfortuanely I don't have lightwave installed on each machine as I am using the LW2BB script which gets any necessary files from a network folder and excecutes them on each machine. Every other plugin we have purchased works fine like this Kray etc. We can't change the system we are using as we have many many 3dsMax users using backburner. Is there a way round this issue?
>

MSherak
01-17-2013, 05:23 PM
Hi guys,

Anyone know what the latest version number is on this script? I am on 0.99 but want to make sure I have the latest one.

Also I think this script is important, so if whoever wrote it/owns it could upload to LWpluginDB that would be good.

[EDIT] Scrap that I found the latest plugin on Jures script page ... Doh!

J

The last version I placed up here is 1.3. Which seems the version most are running here..

-MSherak

Jure
01-31-2013, 05:32 AM
I have pushed latest version to github. Anyone is welcome to contribute.

http://github.com/jurej/LW2Backburner

Jim M
01-31-2013, 07:11 AM
Anyone have any thoughts on how to get Turbulence FD to work with LW2BB ?

geo_n
02-02-2013, 08:00 AM
It seems this is not working in lw 11.5? I'm getting "can't open scenefile" in backburner

Jim M
02-04-2013, 03:49 AM
"Could not write settings to (nil)."

I now get this (after installing 11.5).... this error is on my 11.02 install which was working fine. Argghh this is bad. I need to send stuff off to render.
Any help with what this error message means?

[edit]
To be clear ... it is the script is outputting this message in lightwave.

[edit 2]
Problem solved. I am an idiot. I forgot I had made my configs read only, to ensure LW11.5 didn't screw them. Phew.

MSherak
02-05-2013, 12:36 PM
It seems this is not working in lw 11.5? I'm getting "can't open scenefile" in backburner

Sounds like something is not pointing in the right direction.. BackBurner does not care what version the scene file is since in the end all it does is launch LWSN.exe and point it to a scene with the -3 option.. I will check it though on my end just to be sure..

-M

geo_n
02-05-2013, 06:43 PM
I restarted my pc and this got fixed.

geo_n
02-05-2013, 07:12 PM
I restarted my pc and this got fixed.

lardbros
02-25-2013, 06:25 AM
I've now got some errors while using LW11.5 and this backburner script...

The script is working fine, and sending it to Backburner 2013... BUT two of my nodes are giving off errors when I render a scene with dynamics in it. The two nodes giving the errors are both our AMD 32 core ones. The intel 24 core ones work fine and render it out perfectly. I have baked the dynamics into the objects.

Sooo, anyone got any errors like this:

Cmdjob adapter: Process exit abnormally,Exit code is -1073741819
Cmdjob adapter: Process exit abnormally,Exit code is 255

Jim M
02-25-2013, 06:47 AM
Try rendering locally on one or both of the machines to see if it is the machines or some other error?

You have had this error type before ... "Cmdjob adapter: Process exit abnormally"
Can't remember what the exit codes were though. It is in this thread somewhere.

Jim M
02-25-2013, 07:07 AM
Updated notes.

lardbros
02-25-2013, 08:23 AM
I've figured out some of the problems I'm having.

The nodes aren't rendering any of the objects, or not finding them. This is due to the fact that for some reason the plugin is missing the last letter off every project folder I try and send to backburner. Even the CMD files are missing the last letter of my folder paths.

Anyone come across this before?

It's a constant battle between IT and new versions of software... I used to have it all working in 11.0.2... and now it doesn't work in 11.5!

Jim M
02-25-2013, 08:32 AM
I wouldn't dare start running 11.5 wholeheartedly.
I use 11.02 and have 11.5 as an addon as it were.
Still render out of 11.02.

lardbros
02-25-2013, 09:02 AM
Haha... I know, I'm living on the edge.

There are a few things I really wanted to try, and had a bit of down time (not as much as I've spent trying to figure this out), so thought I'd jump in head first! :D

I'm getting somewhere... will let you all know what I find :D

lardbros
02-26-2013, 07:54 AM
The biggest issue I'm having is the removal of the last character from the folders. This is done running it with all my configs in the correct place, THEN running standard LW (without the -c config re-direction). This USED to work fine... but for some reason causes this:

For instance, say that my project folder is:

'Displaced_Torus'

The folder that the LW2Backburner .bat files are then writing the new scene files to:

'Displaced_Toru'

Therefore my Layout scenes are rendering, but minus any objects... HOW WEIRD!! As the objects are in the ACTUAL path. Is this a scripting error? Or a LWSN.exe error?

Also, if I run using the -c config redirection LW shortcut... the path error doesn't happen, BUT I get errors with FFX, dynamics scenes, MDD scenes. It's all a complete mess really. Oh and these errors ONLY occur on our 32 core AMD render nodes, NOT the Xeon's.

Is anyone else willing to give this a go, and maybe help me figure some of this crap out? :D Please, for the sake of a man's sanity! :D

Jim M
03-19-2013, 06:13 AM
Sounds awful. I wish I could help out. Are the AMD machines added to the network last,? Were they bought more recently than the rest of the network?
My point being that there could be some esoteric net protocol setting, which is causing issues.
Can you get the scenes to render locally on those machines?

geo_n
03-19-2013, 05:52 PM
I'm running lw 11.5 with bb fine on version 07/2012. Check the about in lw2bb script.

lardbros
03-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Sounds awful. I wish I could help out. Are the AMD machines added to the network last,? Were they bought more recently than the rest of the network?
My point being that there could be some esoteric net protocol setting, which is causing issues.

Thanks for caring! :D

Unfortunately cannot get any files out of my work network... just a no go!

Weirdly, if I render a simple displaced torus spinning, they all render... it's simply anything more complex seems to throw up errors.

So, in answer to your questions... yes they were added afterwards, and our IT are pretty lame, so won't have any idea if they've missed something off the list on their list of lockdowns etc.

I find it strange how 3dsmax is fine on all of them (actually... apart from doing a light tracer render, that does the same thing... it crashes the AMD nodes... I presumed it was due to them having too many cores for 3dsmax to cope with when using scanline and light tracer?)

I'm no closer to any fix for this... I can only think it's a LW thing, I'm not sure how a network issue could cause some scenes to render, and others not?!

lardbros
04-05-2013, 04:09 AM
With this script... is there any way I can use UNC paths for the LW Config path, or the LWSN.exe paths? I've tried the \\storage\group\work\testing..... but it doesn't work. How do I access a UNC path using this plugin? Any ideas?

lardbros
04-05-2013, 06:01 AM
The biggest issue I'm having is the removal of the last character from the folders. This is done running it with all my configs in the correct place, THEN running standard LW (without the -c config re-direction). This USED to work fine... but for some reason causes this:

For instance, say that my project folder is:

'Displaced_Torus'

The folder that the LW2Backburner .bat files are then writing the new scene files to:

'Displaced_Toru'

Therefore my Layout scenes are rendering, but minus any objects... HOW WEIRD!! As the objects are in the ACTUAL path. Is this a scripting error? Or a LWSN.exe error?

Also, if I run using the -c config redirection LW shortcut... the path error doesn't happen, BUT I get errors with FFX, dynamics scenes, MDD scenes. It's all a complete mess really. Oh and these errors ONLY occur on our 32 core AMD render nodes, NOT the Xeon's.

Is anyone else willing to give this a go, and maybe help me figure some of this crap out? :D Please, for the sake of a man's sanity! :D

Any clues on this one too? I feel like it's a scripting error, but clearly my scripting abilities are appalling/non-existent.

Basically, the filepath deletes the last character or digit... therefore making a new folder with the incorrect name, and therefore not able to find the model files that the render clearly needs. Instead I get a blank render of whatever is saved within the scene file!

Any help or assistance would be awesome! :D

lardbros
04-05-2013, 07:34 AM

Okay... sorted the AMD crashing issue. I've reduced the number of CPUs by half, and now it doesn't crash. Having 64 cores and only 64GB of RAM isn't a good idea! Also means, don't let your IT department spec your render nodes, they don't have a clue. Unfortunately we had no choice but to go with what they told us.

Just wondering now, is it possible to run two instances of a backburner services, with each one running as a separate service and using half the CPU's each?

I'm currently not sure if it's a RAM issue or whether backburner is struggling with a machine that has 64 cores?! (Especially as it only recognises there being 32.

lardbros
04-22-2013, 07:28 AM
So, has anyone got any ideas as to why my projects sent to Backburner, using this script, are creating folders with one single digit/letter less than the actual folder path should be?

It's messing my whole render process up, I've just completed a job, and need to send it to the nodes to render, and can't as it's doing this every time.

I thought what I'd tried previously had worked, but it's doing the same thing no matter what I do :(

Someone please help me!!

Jim M
04-22-2013, 08:11 AM
I have no idea. Sorry!!!
The only thing I could suggest is to calmly uninstall LW.
And to setup LW and Backburner the way I have.... Which is outlined in doc which somebody kindly uploaded to the same location as the latest script.

https://github.com/jurej/LW2Backburner/tree/master/help ...from... https://github.com/jurej/LW2Backburner

Then test everything with firewalls off.

lardbros
04-22-2013, 11:58 AM
Thanks Jim... I followed those instructions, and mine is already set up exactly like that. :(

Now, after an entire day dedicated to trying things out... I've found this!!:

On the bit in the plugin where I enter my 'config' and 'LWSN.exe' paths, I initially had \ (forward slashes)... and it was missing the last character off my folder paths...

now, I went and changed them all to / (backslashes) and it all works as it should! This is CRAZZZY!! If I choose the location of my configs using the browse button within the plugin, it converts them all to the standard Windows forward slashes. SOOOO... for my set up at work, where our network disks are all on a sanfiles setup... if I change the slashes to / <---- those it all works fine!....

So far anyway!

Any ideas?!?! I'm so confused!

MSherak
04-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Thanks Jim... I followed those instructions, and mine is already set up exactly like that. :(

Now, after an entire day dedicated to trying things out... I've found this!!:

On the bit in the plugin where I enter my 'config' and 'LWSN.exe' paths, I initially had \ (forward slashes)... and it was missing the last character off my folder paths...

now, I went and changed them all to / (backslashes) and it all works as it should! This is CRAZZZY!! If I choose the location of my configs using the browse button within the plugin, it converts them all to the standard Windows forward slashes. SOOOO... for my set up at work, where our network disks are all on a sanfiles setup... if I change the slashes to / <---- those it all works fine!....

So far anyway!

Any ideas?!?! I'm so confused!

I have been running this script with 11.5 and I have '\' in all the lines of my config paths. No issues of any kind. Now the difference comes to the network you are using and how '\' and '/' can mean different things. Mainly telling the difference between system types. We have MAC's and PC's on the same network so our system does not care which is used. This could be the issue you are running into.

There are all kinds of log files that you can check to see if things are set correctly. You will notice that inside the content folder that the script creates a LW2BB_Job. This is where BB gets the scene and stores all the log files when rendering. Your actual scene file has a mirror version in this folder. This is the one that it's rendering with and also the reason why when you add something to your scene you need to submit it again from the script so it can update the file.

Oh and be careful on how many CPU's you use on network rendering node. Most of my render node CPU's are 8. So scenes that I send to BackBurner from both Maya and LW I make sure to set it to use just 7 of the CPU's. If I use all 8 the OS and backburner client will lose timing between the server. In LW just set it in the config that BB is pointing to. But FYI cause LW uses threads and not physical cpu's like Maya you can get away with it working just fine even up to 64 threads set. Maya, and I am sure MAX, puke when set to 8 since they don't thread which in the end wastes a CPU per machine for rendering.

Jim M
04-23-2013, 02:05 AM
Good news Lardbros. This sheeeeet can get old fast when you are literally banging your head against network issues.

I take it you are are talking about just changing the forward/backward slashes in the LW2BB plugin options, not any LW config files etc.
I only ask for claritys sake, so that if someone else has the issue it is clear.

I initially had \ (forward slashes)

I think thats a back slash :)

lardbros
04-23-2013, 03:43 AM
Haha... i'm going crazy! This morning it's not working again!

I always get confused with backslashes and forward slashes when I'm naming them... never remember the rule to remember which one's which.

I was talking about the LW2BB plugin options though... but back to the drawing board.
It works on a small demo scene, but on my project it doesn't... it does the same 'losing a character' at the end of the file path thing again!!!!!!! Arrrrrrggghhh!

Jim M
04-23-2013, 03:50 AM
Frustrating!

UNHELPFUL INTERLUDE....
the slash is named by the direction it leans, as we write left to right then that is the reference, thus forward slash leans to the right. Zzzzzzzz

Scr grab your options.

lardbros
04-23-2013, 04:00 AM
Thanks... that makes sense, but I'll probably forget that :D

Unfortunately, no screen grabbing allowed at my place of work :( Well, I can grab it, but no way to get it online

lardbros
10-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Has anyone had any luck with backburner 2014 and the LW2Backburner script?

I'm having issues with this, and would LOVE to figure it out!

With Backburner 2008.1.1:
3dsMax 2014 won't submit, but LW works okay.

With Backburner 2013:
All 3dsmax 2014 jobs don't submit, unfortunately!
Now, with LightWave it submits the job to the nodes, but misses the last character of the folder name off, so therefore can't find the objects, and will render a blank scene.

With Backburner 2014, the job won't submit to my nodes, yet if I log directly onto the master node, and run the batch file that the LW2Backburner script creates, it submits it to the rest of the farm fine!

I've heard rumours that there is something awry with the cmdjob.exe in 2014, but wondered if anyone else has ventured into this nightmare of Backburner 2014?

zardoz
10-02-2013, 09:26 AM
here we are still using 2008.1.3 (build 330) and everything works fine. max (at least 2012 and 2014), softimage 2014, lw, AE and nuke

lardbros
10-02-2013, 01:10 PM
Weird... I tried 2008.1.1, so maybe i need to give 2008.1.3?

We're using 3ds Max Design... maybe that has issues with Backburner or something? I just can't get Backburner 2013 to work with a simple scene from 3dsMax Design 2014... always get the 'a pipe has been ended' error. Going to Backburner 2014 and it's fine! :(

lardbros
10-03-2013, 03:08 AM
I cannot find Backburner 2008.1.3 ANYWHERE! Has anyone got the ability to upload it here or pass me a copy?

Autodesk are awful at supplying old copies of backburner... It's not in our download area at all, only 2008.1.1 is there! :(

lardbros
10-03-2013, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the link Luis!

I am also trying to get LW11.6 (Clearly a glutton for punishment) working, but it doesn't work at the moment. 11.5.1 does still work, but won't submit the job to BB automatically (for whatever reason)... so I have to log into the manager node (or any of the other nodes for that matter) and then run the job.bat to get it firing properly. This doesn't work with 11.6 though... it seems to error on scene loading for some reason.

I may just investigate getting screamernet working properly... at least that way I won't be reliant on plugins being updated etc :D

tengelkamp
10-15-2014, 07:56 AM
Here's another tip for an error I got while updating some rendernodes to windows 8 yesterday.
If you get error 0000274c. This will be the fix.
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15084607&linkID=9242258
Strange it didn't happen to use moving some nodes to windows 7. It did for windows 8.

Dear geo_n,

could you tell me again what is the fix for error 0000274c? I can not find the soloution on the link you posted. Would be a huge help.

Thanks!

MSherak
10-15-2014, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the link Luis!

I am also trying to get LW11.6 (Clearly a glutton for punishment) working, but it doesn't work at the moment. 11.5.1 does still work, but won't submit the job to BB automatically (for whatever reason)... so I have to log into the manager node (or any of the other nodes for that matter) and then run the job.bat to get it firing properly. This doesn't work with 11.6 though... it seems to error on scene loading for some reason.

I may just investigate getting screamernet working properly... at least that way I won't be reliant on plugins being updated etc :D

Strange since Backburner does not care what the file is. Backburner is just a CMD launcher and that is why it works with so many programs. If the program can run in a CMD window then backburner can control it. Just a matter of the right command line. This is what a typical command looks like.

LWSN.exe command:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
P:\RENDERFARM_JOBS\SNet\64bit\bin\lwsn.exe" -3 -c"P:\RENDERFARM_JOBS\SNet\64bit" -d"P:\RENDERFARM_JOBS\BackBurnerTest" "LW2BB_Job\BB_Lights_v009\BB_Lights_v009.lws" %1 %2 %3

Backburner command: (this launches LWSN.exe command above for each client and tells them to look at the list)
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\Backburner\cmdjob.exe" -jobName:"BB_Lights_v009" -manager:RenderFarm -priority:50 -description:"Lightwave RenderJob" -taskList:"P:\RENDERFARM_JOBS\BackBurnerTest\LW2BB_Job\BB_Lig hts_v009\BB_Lights_v009_Frames.txt" -timeout:10800 -taskName:1 -group:"Movies" -logPath:"P:\RENDERFARM_JOBS\BackBurnerTest\LW2BB_Job\BB_Lig hts_v009\Log" -attach:"P:\RENDERFARM_JOBS\BackBurnerTest\LW2BB_Job\BB_Lig hts_v009\LWSN_BB_Lights_v009.bat" %%tp2 %%tp3 %%tp4 > "P:\RENDERFARM_JOBS\BackBurnerTest\LW2BB_Job\BB_Lig hts_v009\Log\BB_Lights_v009_debug.log"

In the location of the LW2BB_Job there is a text file showing the frame steps

So if sending commands to backburner is not working then something in the command is wrong or backburner itself is not setup right to see the right locations. There should be log files in the job location. You can find out all the information that might be wrong with the app if it does launch. Like a plugin not loading. And there is a main log file.

Submitting job:

Job name : BB_Lights_v009
Job description : Lightwave RenderJob
Manager : RenderFarm
Netmask :
Port :
Priority : 50
Submit suspended : No
Working path :
Task log path : P:\RENDERFARM_JOBS\BackBurnerTest\LW2BB_Job\BB_Lig hts_v009\Log
Group : Movies
Outputs :
Dependencies :
Attach executable : Yes
Task list file : P:\RENDERFARM_JOBS\BackBurnerTest\LW2BB_Job\BB_Lig hts_v009\BB_Lights_v009_Frames.txt
Task name column : 1
Job parameter file :
Task timeout : 10800 minutes

Email alerts:
To :
Server :
On completion : No
On failure : No
Every Nth task : 0

Executable to batch : P:\RENDERFARM_JOBS\BackBurnerTest\LW2BB_Job\BB_Lig hts_v009\LWSN_BB_Lights_v009.bat
Parameters : %tp2 %tp3 %tp4

The job will trigger 20 task(s)

Successfully submitted job 155331611

So check for these in the right locations. 90% of the time backburner is not setup right. Oh and remember these are command lines. They can get truncated if waaaay to long so watch the long pathing and names.

-M

Niko3D
03-04-2015, 10:51 AM
Hello!
I'm using BNR 5 but I would like to try Backburner...
Someone could help me how I can connect them?...because I don't understand...:(...I thought it was enough to load the script...

I downloaded the LW script...I installed Backburner and it works. I load the plug in LW but if I lunch it to appears a window "Please Setting BackBurner".
So I don't know how...where do I have to copy and paste the program files?...

Thank you in advanced for your help...

Nico

zardoz
03-04-2015, 11:30 AM
hmmm if you configure everything in the backburner script settings tab it would be fine. have you done that already? and you have your lightwave installation on a folder that is network mapped on every farm computer?

can you post a print screen of your settings tab?

Niko3D
03-05-2015, 02:54 AM
Hi!:)
I think I explained bad...sorry...
First, I'm working in a big Arch company, so we have all folders in share. I've always used BNR5 without network's problems...but I would like to try something else, because in the latest version BNR5, for me, doesn't work very well...anyway...
Said this I mean:
I installed Backburner and loaded my script in LW...and now???What I've to do?Because in the .PDF document I don't understand!
I attached some screen shot...
You can see...in C: I have the software, in O: I've all my stuff and in P: we have all projects folders.

Sorry I'm feeling stupid but I don't understand very well about this and I'm trying without the IT guy.
You don't care about the Server/Node...I have to ask to IT guy.

Thanks a lot again...
Nico127287127288127289

Niko3D
03-05-2015, 03:16 AM
Zardoz!
Sorry I'm completely stupid!!!I didn't load any scene in LW!...I'm so stupid...
Now it works!!!!...and I can send the scene into Backburner...
But I've this problem now...:(
The script works fine...but Backburner no...
Maybe it's something about the server/nodes and I have to ask the IT guy...127291127292

Thank you
Nico

zardoz
03-05-2015, 04:07 AM
I think the main problem is that lw is in C:
the farm computers need to find lw in a mapped network drive. your farm computers are looking for lw in C: and they won't find it in their local C:
so you need to share your lw installation folder and map it, like L: or something and in that config it needs to be L: etc

Niko3D
03-05-2015, 06:44 AM
You're right!
It's like BNR...later I'll try!...
Thank you...