PDA

View Full Version : Terra Nova canceled by FOX

50one
03-06-2012, 02:32 AM
Just as the title says, Link here (http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/03/05/terra-nova-cancelled/)

rcallicotte
03-06-2012, 06:48 AM
Wow. 10.1 million viewers means nothing to Fox. Kinda dumb, I think.

Bill Carey
03-06-2012, 07:02 AM
Pretty amazing how fickle the industry is. I thought the early writing hurt them, but it was coming around.

RebelHill
03-06-2012, 07:06 AM
I think largely its the viewing numbers divided by the cost of production... and TN does seem to have come at the pricier end of things. Not such a big surprise from that perspective, could've gone either way really.

biliousfrog
03-06-2012, 07:11 AM
The network was considering cancelling it before it even aired according to many sources when it launched. I don't think that it's much of a surprise, it was just too expensive to produce.

Lito
03-06-2012, 07:13 AM
I am not surprised. Fox has always had a habit of cancelling shows I watch. I am surprised they haven't cancelled Fringe yet, IIRC Fox said Terra Nova made them money while Fringe did not, and yet Terra Nova is cancelled. I am expecting the worse for Fringe :(.

Fox had some good shows , The Good Guys, Firefly, etc... were given a season then yanked, some like Drive (that I thought had great potential) got like 4 episodes then pulled, so for me I try not to think about any Fox shows as anything but one season shots. The worst thing about it is American Idol and all the "reality" crap goes on.

skype6
03-06-2012, 07:28 AM
Well, these are the things that annoy! There would be no need then to make a series, if not to finish them properly:(. The same happened to V 2009

Phil
03-06-2012, 07:56 AM
I would blame the writing, and pacing. I watched a little of V, but the pacing was so slow (like the Sarah Connor chronicles) and the writing was so thin (especially for Terra Nova) that I'm not surprised that all three were canned. Shiny effects are simply not enough.

Breaking Bad, though. That's impressed me in every way. The effects are minimal and often laughable (the midair collision, for example), but the story is strong and compelling. It seems that I'm not alone here. Look at the old slow burners (e.g Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy) from 1979. Strong writing, minimal effects work and it hooks you.

wibly wobly
03-06-2012, 07:58 AM
I'm waiting for someone like Netflix, Kickstarter or someone outside of the normal TV industry to start making programs (and deliver then outside of the usual channels) that are little more in tune with different markets. Fox has killed all kinds of shows that had potential, only because some exec didn't like the show.

OnlineRender
03-06-2012, 08:22 AM
feel sorry for the artist(S) on board ,they should have made the series real dark ,kinda like OZ for dinosaurs

Waves of light
03-06-2012, 08:45 AM
Feel sorry for the guys and girls promised work for the next series :(

Sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong... but these are the same people who almost pulled Star Wars (albeit their predecessors)!

Lewis
03-06-2012, 09:26 AM
So this means another LW series/show is gone :(

Philbert
03-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Really sad to see yet another awesome show killed off by FOX long before it's time. I'm still mourning Wonderfalls, which they killed after airing only 4 of the 13 episodes they made.

I'm waiting for someone like Netflix, Kickstarter or someone outside of the normal TV industry to start making programs (and deliver then outside of the usual channels) that are little more in tune with different markets. Fox has killed all kinds of shows that had potential, only because some exec didn't like the show.

Netflix is already doing this. They have their own show, Lillyhammer and they're bringing back Arrested Development.

cresshead
03-06-2012, 11:09 AM
bbc version of the story

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17269054

The big budget prehistoric series averaged 7.5 million viewers in the US but failed to do as well as hoped.

other sci fi...Falling skies is green lit for season 2 this summer...good news an it's NOT Fox.

Bill Carey
03-06-2012, 12:28 PM
I am not surprised. Fox has always had a habit of cancelling shows I watch. I am surprised they haven't cancelled Fringe yet, IIRC Fox said Terra Nova made them money while Fringe did not, and yet Terra Nova is cancelled. I am expecting the worse for Fringe :(.

Fox had some good shows , The Good Guys, Firefly, etc... were given a season then yanked, some like Drive (that I thought had great potential) got like 4 episodes then pulled, so for me I try not to think about any Fox shows as anything but one season shots. The worst thing about it is American Idol and all the "reality" crap goes on.

There was a story that Fox promised to give Fringe writers enough time to wrap things up if a decision was made to cancel it after this season. The rumor is that the word was given.

DigitalSorcery8
03-06-2012, 03:21 PM
This is a shame. My wife and I liked the show - regardless of LW VFX - and while we thought it started out slow, it hit it's stride towards the end of the season. Another good family show gets buried by the network. Well... I certainly don't like Fox.

Elmar Moelzer
03-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Fox is a crappy station and watching anything on that network is pointless because they cancel everything anyway and why bother watching a show that will end without a conclusion?

bobakabob
03-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Fox is a crappy station and watching anything on that network is pointless because they cancel everything anyway and why bother watching a show that will end without a conclusion?

Elmar you are so right. I feel sorry for the crew, they created some well crafted work and had a respectable audience, but in the end, with these corporations it's all about accountancy.

jeric_synergy
03-06-2012, 06:36 PM
bobakabob, I like that raygun.

hrgiger
03-07-2012, 12:43 PM
I feel bad for those that worked on the show but I can't say I'm surprised. I didn't see the show having a long term appeal.

Celshader
03-07-2012, 12:54 PM
I would blame the writing, and pacing. I watched a little of V, but the pacing was so slow (like the Sarah Connor chronicles) and the writing was so thin (especially for Terra Nova) that I'm not surprised that all three were canned. Shiny effects are simply not enough.

I'd like to point out that terrific writing and pacing did not save the award-winning Firefly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_%28TV_series%29) TV series.

The TV industry is fickle. Kinda like the film industry (http://io9.com/5889808/if-you-love-movies-this-book-will-give-you-an-aneurysm)...

DigitalSorcery8
03-07-2012, 01:18 PM
The TV industry is fickle.
The TV industry sucks!

It wouldn't be so bad if they allowed the producers to wind up the story to have some sort of closure - but they VERY rarely do. TV has changed so much in the last 30 or so years. Cable was available back then, but you didn't have nearly as many competing channels. When Star Trek: TNG debuted... IMO it really wasn't that great. Though for me, I was just glad to see Star Trek back on the air. It took at least the entire first season for the cast to gell and work well together. If TNG were to debut today, it would have also been cancelled BY the end of the first season. TBH, I liked the cast of TN better than I initially did TNG - and of course the effects are FAR better. ;)

Yup, the TV industry sucks.

Nicolas Jordan
03-07-2012, 01:23 PM
The only thing I really watch religiously on Fox is COPS. The original reality TV show! :thumbsup: :D

dwburman
03-07-2012, 01:34 PM
The obvious exception here is the Simpsons. One could argue that the X-Files went on too long with its endless conspiracies within conspiracies. Both shows, of course, were started a long time ago, though.

TN did get better as it progressed. It's a shame we won't see what happens after the end of the season, but at least they had some closure. Look at it this way. We're in the future and we lost communications with them :)

jeric_synergy
03-07-2012, 02:01 PM
I'd like to point out that terrific writing and pacing did not save the award-winning Firefly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_%28TV_series%29) TV series.
No kidding. I always figured JW pissed somebody off, since FOX seemed to have it in for Firefly from the beginning.

Sorry your job went away Jen. With your chops, you've probably already lined up another.

TN did get better as it progressed. It's a shame we won't see what happens after the end of the season, but at least they had some closure. Look at it this way. We're in the future and we lost communications with them :)
I hate it when shows start to hit their stride, and get canceled. "Caprica" being my latest example. YMMV

jasonwestmas
03-07-2012, 02:09 PM
Well they killed Human Target too, one of the few shows that kept my attention. So I guess this doesn't surprise me.

jeric_synergy
03-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Well they killed Human Target too, one of the few shows that kept my attention. So I guess this doesn't surprise me.
Arghghggh! Don't remind me! LUVVED that show, pure popcorn-munching entertainment.

Celshader
03-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Sorry your job went away Jen. With your chops, you've probably already lined up another.

Erm, still working here. We work on other projects, too, y'know. :D

Elmar Moelzer
03-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Well they killed Human Target too, one of the few shows that kept my attention.
Liked it too :(

jeric_synergy
03-08-2012, 01:15 AM
Erm, still working here. We work on other projects, too, y'know. :D
Actually, I don't know where you work, so I figured but didn't know. Anyway, I'm sure you're one of the safest people in the industry.

-EsHrA-
03-08-2012, 01:48 AM
FOX LOL! :)

bill o'reiley for teh win!!!

ehm.. :)

motivalex
03-08-2012, 08:17 AM
It may not be the end yet:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/23261/netflix-may-resurrect-terra-nova

Red_Oddity
03-08-2012, 09:13 AM

Season 2 killed that one for me. Season 1 was brilliantly fun (and Bear McCreary's music helped a lot off course), season 2 was utter rubbish.

I'm not surprised though that TN was cancelled, it never elevated anywhere beyond mediocre, i am very surprised though that Falling Skies got a second season (if TN had a retarded little brother, FS would be it.)

Celshader
03-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Actually, I don't know where you work, so I figured but didn't know. Anyway, I'm sure you're one of the safest people in the industry.

I appreciate the kind thoughts, but I work in the Los Angeles VFX (http://www.visualeffectssociety.com/node/2425) industry. There is no sanctuary (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0Amt30_QVQ). :D

:lol:

jeric_synergy
03-08-2012, 11:22 AM
I appreciate the kind thoughts, but I work in the Los Angeles VFX (http://www.visualeffectssociety.com/node/2425) industry. There is no sanctuary (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0Amt30_QVQ). :D
Huh, I was expecting a news clip about Boss Studios. :D

As long as YOUR facility's producers aren't giving away work, there's hope.

Phil
03-08-2012, 11:51 AM

The TV industry is fickle. Kinda like the film industry (http://io9.com/5889808/if-you-love-movies-this-book-will-give-you-an-aneurysm)...

Yes, Firefly provides a counterfoil to my argument, but I thought the death of Firefly was largely due to the powers-that-be shoving it around the schedule to fit the needs of sports fans. $Deity knows, there are not enough dedicated sport channels out there showing people chasing balls around and punching each other in the face :devil:

Matt
03-08-2012, 12:07 PM
So this means another LW series/show is gone :(

Shows get cancelled, shows get greenlit.

This decision has nothing to do with LightWave whatsoever.

jasonwestmas
03-08-2012, 12:18 PM
haha, yeah, nothing to do with LW for sure. After all CSI and Fringe have had several episodes/seasons.

OnlineRender
03-08-2012, 12:31 PM
I don't think you can argue that the vfx where the downfall in fact quite the opposite they drove the show ...

jeric_synergy
03-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Shows get cancelled, shows get greenlit.

This decision has nothing to do with LightWave whatsoever.
I disagree: a VFX heavy show gets canceled, there's gonna be fallout. Included amongst the fallout will be LW operators.

One of the reasons quoted was the high cost/episode. If producers get allergic to VFX, there's less employment to go around.

++++++++
Firefly, meh. Never really a fan. But that's 'cuz I loathe all things 'Western', and it leaned that way heavily, rather than in a 'speculative-fiction' direction. (FFS, Whedon didn't even KNOW if it was taking place all in one star system or several. If the creator doesn't know....)

From a production standpoint the Western thing was genius, since costuming for SF shows is almost always lame, and this neatly dodged that problem with cheap/easily accessible rental costumes.

Matt
03-08-2012, 01:07 PM
I disagree: a VFX heavy show gets canceled, there's gonna be fallout. Included amongst the fallout will be LW operators.

What I mean is, the reason why it was cancelled has zero to do with Pixomondo's work or LightWave - if anything, it was more cost effective because they were using LightWave. Pixomondo are incredibly busy even without Terra Nova work.

Lewis
03-08-2012, 01:11 PM
I never said that it's canceled 'coz of LW. I just think it's sad 'coz i quite liked VFX they were doing WITH LW so in that regard "one LW show less"...

Matt
03-08-2012, 01:12 PM
I never said that it's canceled 'coz of LW. I just think it's sad 'coz i quite liked VFX they were doing WITH LW so in that regard "one LW show less"...

It's not the end of the world though.

Lewis
03-08-2012, 01:20 PM
It's not the end of the world though.

Of course it's not, we just don't have many of those lately (LW shows) so we have to nurture ones we have :).

Well let's hope something new will emerge soon then.

BigHache
03-08-2012, 02:32 PM

I quote that scene fairly regularly. :D

Celshader
03-08-2012, 11:17 PM
One of the reasons quoted was the high cost/episode. If producers get allergic to VFX, there's less employment to go around.

It wasn't the VFX that drove up the cost. It was the million$ dropped on the 250 sets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_Nova_(TV_series)#Production).

I quote that scene fairly regularly. :D

:beerchug: Me, too! :D :beerchug:

Dexter2999
03-09-2012, 12:35 AM
I thought I read somewhere that it made money. It just didn't make as much as the network wanted.

Meanwhile, AMC carried MAD MEN for two season while it lost money because they believed in it.

As said before, fickle.

aidenvfx
03-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Surprised on the low cost of the show for the amount of VFX. I think in general all networks need to re-think viewership. With more shows and other entertainment products such as games, and even just Facebook a large part of the audience no longer watch tv.

Then there are the multiple breaks in a season networks insist on doing which is foolish. The fastest way to kill a show is putting it on the shelf for 6 weeks.

I agree with those that say why watch network tv. With the exception of Fringe, and The Mentalist every show I watch is on a cable channel or HBO type channel.

One question why the hate for Falling Skys?

Finally AMC's decision for MadMen may be beyond stupid if the rumors regarding how it affected The Walking Dead are true. Basically stealing money from a show that gets 3 times the ratings in order to get a few more bragging trophies. I am speaking strictly from a business standpoint not the artistic merit of Mad Men.

jasonwestmas
03-09-2012, 03:35 PM
When networks "think" about what people want to watch, we get reality TV. When creative people think, we get. . .something interesting that gets canceled by the network because it's too expensive.. . .according to some penny pincher.

DigitalSorcery8
03-09-2012, 03:38 PM
When networks "think" about what people want to watch, we get reality TV. When creative people think, we get. . .something interesting that gets canceled by the network because it's too expensive.. . .according to some penny pincher.

I disagree. TN was a "family show" where parents could sit down and watch with their kids - not the same "family setting" that reality shows attract. TN (IMO) was never intended to be anything but a family show.

Philbert
03-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Frankly I'm amazed that they're ending American Idol. I thought that awful show would be on the air forever.

jasonwestmas
03-09-2012, 03:45 PM
I disagree. TN was a "family show" where parents could sit down and watch with their kids - not the same "family setting" that reality shows attract. TN (IMO) was never intended to be anything but a family show.

I don't disagree with your disagreement. :D I'm not sure what you thought I meant but TN is a far cry from reality TV. I could actually watch TN and not get annoyed after the first few episodes.

jasonwestmas
03-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Frankly I'm amazed that they're ending American Idol. I thought that awful show would be on the air forever.

Good for anybody that likes the show but It's hard for me to watch really.

50one
03-09-2012, 03:59 PM
It wasn't the VFX that drove up the cost. It was the million$ dropped on the sets:

...yet they have used the nerf guns, just painted;)

jasonwestmas
03-09-2012, 04:01 PM
...yet they have used the nerf guns, just painted;)

Yeah, it's about time they coughed up those toys 'R' us and ace hardware receipts. ;)

DigitalSorcery8
03-09-2012, 04:01 PM
I don't disagree with your disagreement. :D I'm not sure what you thought I meant but TN is a far cry from reality TV. I could actually watch TN and not get annoyed after the first few episodes.

I agree that TN is far away from reality TV. You had said that "when networks think about what people want to watch, we get reality TV." I think in the case of TN, the network and Spielberg DID think about what people want to watch. We fortunately didn't get Reality TV.

jasonwestmas
03-09-2012, 04:03 PM
I agree that TN is far away from reality TV. You had said that "when networks think about what people want to watch, we get reality TV." I think in the case of TN, the network and Spielberg DID think about what people want to watch. We fortunately didn't get Reality TV.

Oh I see. Well we can only hope the idea was more than just Spielburg's =)

tischbein3
03-10-2012, 12:15 AM
It wasn't the VFX that drove up the cost. It was the million$ dropped on the 250 sets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_Nova_(TV_series)#Production).

If thats true, it would mean:
45 minutes * 11 episodes / 250 sets = each 1,98 minutes a new set
and I was about to point out the inefficency of a mechatronised babysaur build up for a few seconds of screentime for a predicteable and well known plot.
8~
I slowly start to understand fox.

DigitalSorcery8
03-10-2012, 12:52 AM
It wasn't the VFX that drove up the cost. It was the million$ dropped on the 250 sets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_Nova_(TV_series)#Production)
Seriously? I'm sure (okay, not sure, but logically thinking) that the effects must have added a decent amount to the budget. It was slated to debut in May of 2011 but was pushed back to late September "due to the time involved for visual effects." And since the sets were completed, the cost for a season two should go down IMMENSELY if the VFX were not a big cost factor. I would think that more sets would be required, but nothing along the line of 250 or even close. I know the budget for VFX wasn't huge, but it must've been quite a bit larger than other VFX shows.

Right? :stumped:

For the record, I LOVED the show and thought it was well done and the effects were great. I didn't sit there and pick apart every scene. My wife and I just sat back and enjoyed. Hopefully they can somehow resurrect it on another network.

Lightwolf
03-10-2012, 02:47 AM
If thats true, it would mean:
45 minutes * 11 episodes / 250 sets = each 1,98 minutes a new set

According to the original article this is quoted from, it's 250 sets for the two hour pilot only.

Cheers,
Mike

Bliz
03-10-2012, 03:47 AM
The latest episode of KCRW's Hollywood Breakdown has some details of Terra Nova's cancellation.

http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/hb

The 'business' (as in Hollywood) consider TN an expensive show.

[from the podcast] "The two hour pilot cost $16million to make which is more than best picture winners 'The Artist', 'Slumdog Millionaire' and the 'Hurt Locker'."

If you had $16million to invest in a piece of Hollywood media, those three films are a better bet (I'm talking in terms of cold, hard finance)

And then after the pilot, the weekly cost of the show was about $4million. And according to the podcast, it was the complicated network of distribution deals that made it cost too much for the way the ratings were going.

Elmar Moelzer
03-10-2012, 05:26 AM
it was the complicated network of distribution deals that made it cost too much
Ok, so it was not the actual cost of the production of the show, but the distribution deals that made it so costly? Then solve the fracking distribution deals! Geeezus, really...

jeric_synergy
03-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Sets are 'sunk cost', except for storage. VFX would be a continuing expenditure.

Not saying it wasn't the reason for the high cost of the pilot/first season, just saying that by comparison, the 2nd season would have been cheap, set-wise.
++
$4 Million/episode? Sounds like a champagne production in a beer medium.

Dexter2999
03-10-2012, 10:31 AM
$4 Million/episode? Sounds like a champagne production in a beer medium.

If you have the viewership that is fairly tame. For comparison, FRIENDS, was paying $1 Million per episode to each of the stars for the last season (possibly the last two). So, that show paid $6 Million for the talent per episode. Add on crew and production. Probably finished in the $7 Million per episode range.

Again that is based on a wide viewership.

Philbert
03-10-2012, 10:52 AM
According to the original article this is quoted from, it's 250 sets for the two hour pilot only.

That makes more sense, the pilot had a lot more going on location wise.

jeric_synergy
03-10-2012, 10:53 AM
If you have the viewership that is fairly tame. For comparison, FRIENDS, was paying $1 Million per episode to each of the stars for the last season (possibly the last two). So, that show paid $6 Million for the talent per episode. Add on crew and production. Probably finished in the $7 Million per episode range.
Yes, but that was exceptional. "Seinfeld" was probably just as bad.

But those were TOP shows. IIRC, TN had a long way to go just to get to the middle of the pack.

Regrettable: lots of shows stumble about in their first season.

Ernest
03-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Stephen Lang compares Terra Nova to the Hubble.

http://www.tgdaily.com/entertainment/61999-terra-nova-may-continue-on-netflix