PDA

View Full Version : CAD loader (stp.iges,rhino...) for LW 11

Cyberfish_Fred
03-06-2012, 01:48 AM
Look at this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFYDrkUjcW0&feature=player_embedded

Can we have this also? This is stil missing in Lightwave!!!

Freddy :ohmy:

akademus
03-06-2012, 02:00 AM
Cool and expensive. Moi does the same thing for $295. It allows you to import 3DM, IGES, SAT and STEP CAD files.

50one
03-06-2012, 02:06 AM
Cool and expensive. Moi does the same thing for $295. It allows you to import 3DM, IGES, SAT and STEP CAD files.

QFA, thought that I would buy the loaders, but then I realised that Moi does the same and has very good triangulation algorithm:) So I would rather invest in Moi and have some ability to edit them etc.

Andy Meyer
03-06-2012, 02:36 AM
but that is the problem with LW. you can do everything with LW as long as you do it outside LW.

Lewis
03-06-2012, 02:48 AM

Are you watched this video trully and fully ?

It's working parametric i.e. you can adjust Geometry/quads number on fly up on loading. It' snot freezeed export geometry like form MOI. Also it loads *.stp, *.step, *.igs, *iges, *.3dm..... so i don't see problems there either.

I used MOI while it was in beta and don't remember it being so advanced on exporting so clean geometry in QUADS. Yes it was/is best SOLIDs exporter for LW since it supports N-gons also but this loader looks great but id rather have importing plugin then separate application just for that :)..

As for getting such in Lw, well we can hardly expect it from NT 'coz they aren't really doing much of work or showing interest for modeling tools so it's all up to will/possible market for 3rd party DEVs and there is not many left in LWmodeling arena :(.

50one
03-06-2012, 03:04 AM
It's working parametric i.e. you can adjust Geometry/quads number on fly up on loading. It' snot freezeed export geometry like form MOI. Also it loads *.stp, *.step, *.igs, *iges, *.3dm..... so i don't see problems there either.

Ahhh, that makes sense then, seems that their tech exchange with solidworks is paying off:) $800 maybe a bit steep for a freelancer, but it's a peanuts for any Engineering company when you consider the costs of Solidworks/Catia

Lewis
03-06-2012, 03:07 AM
Ahhh, that makes sense then, seems that their tech exchange with solidworks is paying off:) $800 maybe a bit steep for a freelancer, but it's a peanuts for any Engineering company when you consider the costs of Solidworks/Catia

True, considering that modo is 1200 and this plugin is 800 so about 2K range for complete solution to render those heavy/nasty CAD data. Usually it takes days just to clean geometry for rendering it so this should help tremendously on such projects.

akademus
03-06-2012, 03:11 AM
Honestly,
I haven't watched through the whole video but for a loader 700$ seems a lot and I'd like to try it myself. I have to convert Cad stuff occasionally and MOI is a champ so far. Meshing options and native LWO support are what brought me into it. I don't use modo so I'd have to buy Modo 601 and CAD loader $1200+$700 = quite expensive to bring in CAD model.

Here is a sample of some stuff I've been converting these days

Lewis
03-06-2012, 03:20 AM
Honestly,
I haven't watched through the whole video but for a loader 700$ seems a lot and I'd like to try it myself. I have to convert Cad stuff occasionally and MOI is a champ so far. Meshing options and native LWO support are what brought me into it. I don't use modo so I'd have to buy Modo 601 and CAD loader $1200+$700 = quite expensive to bring in CAD model.

Here is a sample of some stuff I've been converting these days

Well yes MOI is great for price, no doubt there BUT for instance check this TOPIC about exports problems from MOI to modo (I'm pretty sure same apllies to LW), non planars, small gaps between polys etc. etc...
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3573.1

akademus
03-06-2012, 03:24 AM
There are issues, for sure. That's why I want to try the plugin first. It really depends on what it delivers in the end. If it makes flawless models out of CAD data then it can be considered a serious breakthrough.

50one
03-06-2012, 03:32 AM
There are issues, for sure. That's why I want to try the plugin first. It really depends on what it delivers in the end. If it makes flawless models out of CAD data then it can be considered a serious breakthrough.

Well, It seems - after watching the video, that it preserve the CAD appearance - so it must be w tech from the Dassault, looks good anyway and I think i will consider it at some point later on.

prometheus
03-06-2012, 04:49 AM
Indeed..

I use cad data and render wih Lightwave and are comfortable doing so, but have to go through 3rd part deep exploration.

Would be nice to have the same import tools as modo thou, speeds up workflow, and it seem to have good tesselation control too.

Michael

kopperdrake
03-06-2012, 05:51 AM
If that tesselation control works as well as they imply then I would love to have a version for LightWave. We use PolyTrans at the moment with the CAD module add-on, and that's $635, but you don't get data that clean or optimised for LW's rendering engine. Not even shifting models from AD Inventor to AD Max do you get that type of clean data.

Sweet.

khan973
03-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Wow! awesome!
What I like with other software is that the plug-ins feel integrated in the UI

Waves of light
03-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Would love to give a trial version a go.

gristle
03-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Part of the cost may be the fact it can load in parasolids - based on the kernel of SW and a few other CAD packages. They may have to license that.

One thing to remember is that Luxology are providing the rendering engine for SW going forwards, so there may be a bit of back room dealing going to get a tightly integrated plugin.

As for this in LW? I've been importing data from CAD packages into LW for over 10 years and seriously doubt they will do this. A CAD importer is going to cause a major headache and distract from other areas that need attention sooner.

JeffrySG
03-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Yes, they have to licence from SIEMENS to have all of that which obviously effects the cost of these plugins. I would think if you really did enough CAD work in LW or modo these would probably be a no-brainer. They talk about this and the CAD loader in the latest modcast a bit if you're interested: http://www.luxology.com/modcast/audio.aspx?id=186

It seems that they have a trail version available but it's not listed on the site. You can contact Lux sales for info on it if you're interested.

Larry_g1s
03-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Usually it takes days just to clean geometry for rendering it so this should help tremendously on such projects.Absolutely. It's def. expensive for a plug-in, but if it works as good as the video shows, it can def. pay itself off with less cleaning up of files.

Andy Meyer
03-07-2012, 04:16 AM
i emailed lux and asked for a trial 601+cad loader, no answer until now.
cad loader, rounded egde shader, boolean, uv tools and paint/sculpt could be a killer app for my work.

JeffrySG
03-07-2012, 09:27 PM
Don't we have a rounded edge shader from dp for Lightwave?

I always feel that those shaders don't work very well in all instances. Nice to have though.

probiner
03-09-2012, 11:34 AM
Hmm well DP Edge doesn't blend between separate objects but it works. It would be even better if one could just select the edges he wants and not worry about angle threashold.

Som inputs that would be nice to have in an Edge Shader:

-1- Edge Selection. Simple
-2- Vertex Normal Map sharp edges. This is nice, cause then one can blend between maps. And a plus is that VNM are kept after subdivision :) But it would require LW the ability to edit these maps.
-3- Catmull-Clark 100% Weighted Edges. These are quite sharp and appreciate the softening at angles >0º.
-4- Boolean Shader intersection edges!!! Double Shortcut :D

I wonder if Modo does the latter.

Shnoze Shmon
05-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Trying to find the best way to import SolidWorks models from a client.

After reading this and numerous other threads about it I have a few questions.

First, what does it take to transfer a model from MODO to LightWave, and will that create any problems with the model that need fixing.

Using Rhino apparently has a problem with Vertex Normal maps so that you can't rotate or edit the models in modeler (a problem since apparently any method outside of MODO produces issues with the mesh that have to be fixed.) If so, then why don't PolyTrans, Deep Exploration, and MOI have this problem since they also produce Vertex Normal maps?

If I plan to do my own texture and surfacing of the models do VN maps really serve a purpose? As I understand it they are used to apply smoothing and texture, am I right?

There are two free methods to get SolidWorks models to LightWave.
1)Using STL files, and a free LightWave plugin which I have.
2)A free SolidWorks plugin to export the models as wavefront OBJ files.

What are the advantages of using Rhino PolyTrans, Deep Exploration, and MOI of these free routs?

prometheus
05-18-2012, 11:58 AM
stl files doesn´t come with different surfaces, I use deep exploration and do all naming and reduction of surfaces from solidworks files, so easy to set surfaces from deep exploration.

I export out to object formats, but the same goes there, you can not tweak the vertexes in the model inside of lightwave modeler, it will screw it up.

Once in lightwave I render with perspective camera, that will ensure to render most properly if set up correctly.

Michael

Snosrap
05-18-2012, 12:33 PM
The CAD Loader is very robust and I am getting very nice clean geometry out of it. I have been using the SHM STL importer for a number of years, but the CAD Loader gives much better results. The CAD Loader takes a little more work than a simple STL import, but it sure beats remodeling complete sections of a model because of poor tesselation.

Snosrap
05-18-2012, 12:45 PM
We are also using the Power SubD-NURBS plug-in. IMO it is probably the biggest advancement in 3D software technology since real-time rendering. And it has the potentional to significately change the way products get designed. We are already using it to save days off of our prototype process.

Shnoze Shmon
05-18-2012, 01:52 PM
The CAD Loader takes a little more work than a simple STL import, but it sure beats remodeling complete sections of a model because of poor tesselation.

What does it take to get the model from MODO to LightWave?

We are also using the Power SubD-NURBS plug-in. IMO it is probably the biggest advancement in 3D software technology since real-time rendering. And it has the potentional to significately change the way products get designed. We are already using it to save days off of our prototype process.

Is the Power SubD-NURBS plug-in a LightWave or MODO plugin?

Lewis
05-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Is the Power SubD-NURBS plug-in a LightWave or MODO plugin?

modo ofcourse.

gristle
05-18-2012, 02:37 PM
I don't think the inability to edit/move meshes with vertex normal maps in modeller has anything to do with the software that generated the OBJ file.

I just make sure things are in the correct orientation in Rhino before exporting as an obj. I have added morphs to objects in modeller and TrueObjImport seems to still render them correctly.

If you are importing from SW into Rhino (for tesselation) via IGES each part should come in on a seperate layer, which means you can set up a custom button to select all objects on each layer and join them prior to export.

Snosrap
05-18-2012, 11:47 PM
What does it take to get the model from MODO to LightWave?
Just save it as an .LWO. modo and LW play very nice with each other.:thumbsup:

DrStrik9
05-19-2012, 08:03 AM
Just save it as an .LWO. modo and LW play very nice with each other.:thumbsup:

This is good news. Evaluating that other app now -- it seems to be what LW Modeler "should" have become. (Please don't slap my fingers, Steve.) :D

Snosrap
05-19-2012, 09:06 AM
This is good news. Evaluating that other app now -- it seems to be what LW Modeler "should" have become. (Please don't slap my fingers, Steve.) :D It's just another plug-in for us. :D

Shnoze Shmon
05-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the replies!

MODO-Cadloader would obviously be ideal rout to take, but cost might be an issue so I would like to get more input on these two questions.

If I plan to do my own texture and surfacing of the models do VN maps really serve a purpose? As I understand it they are used to apply smoothing and texture, am I right?

There are two free methods to get SolidWorks models to LightWave.
1)Using STL files, and a free LightWave plugin which I have.
2)A free SolidWorks plugin to export the models as wavefront OBJ files.

What are the advantages of using Rhino PolyTrans, Deep Exploration, and MOI of these free routs?

gristle
05-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Looks like that free OBJ exporter was released in April 2012. Have not used it so cannot comment on that - tesselation quality, VN maps etc. With STL you will not get the VN map and the export from Solidworks may not be suited for rendering depending on the geometry - long skinny triangles, and potential smoothing artifacts.

An advantage the other apps have over the free versions is the formats you can accept. This is really useful if you expect to receive CAD data from various programs. Rhino and MOI are more than just translators as well, so if you have any issues with data conversion, you can edit the surfaces.

Shnoze Shmon
05-22-2012, 05:43 PM
So Deep Exploration and Polytrans are just translators?

I've now imported 4 STL files and I see the tripling issue.

So DE, PT, MOI, Rhino programs don't cause this issue?

I haven't seen any gaps or non-plainers so far.

gristle
05-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Pretty much. They do other things as well, but not full on modellers like Rhino and MOI.

It is not that those programs dont cause the issue, it is an issue rendering the meshes using a "one figure suits all" smoothing angle. I use to spend hours cleaning up renders, especially ones with transparency/chrome, after exporting from Rhino into LW. This was prior to me getting the following...

http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/TrueOBJImport

Takes the vertex normal data from the OBJ export, so the render looks the same smoothing-wise as the CAD model.

There is some kind of vertex normal map option in native LW, but I have never bothered to use it.

kopperdrake
05-23-2012, 06:29 AM
Ooh - I never knew about that plugin! Looks useful!

gristle
05-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Yes, it's proven to be really useful. Pretty much everything i render comes from one CAD package or another and not having to deal with smoothing artifacts is great.

prometheus
05-25-2012, 01:13 AM
So Deep Exploration and Polytrans are just translators?

I've now imported 4 STL files and I see the tripling issue.

So DE, PT, MOI, Rhino programs don't cause this issue?

I haven't seen any gaps or non-plainers so far.

working with Deep exploration to resurface and rematerial a lot of parts, would be a pain in the..with lightwave.
Deep exploration has excellent drag and drop of materials, or reducing duplicate materials, works great to select different parts, has great viewing modes and a search list from where you can select parts or surfaces and delete as you wish or combine.

You can also add annotations, notes, draw scaling tools etc and you can
create pdf´s with 3d content that can be viewed rotated measured within pdf dokuments.

export to obj format turns up fine in lightwave, including vertex map smoothing if you set it correctly within deep exploration, and render with the perspective camera in Lightwave.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=104589&stc=1&d=1337929990
Michael